Sample space and probability measure.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of probability when choosing a red ball from a sample space. The first scenario, with only two red balls, results in a probability measure of 1. However, in the second scenario with 49 yellow balls and 1 red ball, the probability measure is 0.5. This is because the sample space is not understood as being equally likely, leading to a flaw in the reasoning. The formula used for calculating probability is only applicable when the sample space is clearly defined.
╔(σ_σ)╝
If we have two red balls and we are to choose one it is true that the probability measure of picking a red ball is 1. In this case it is understood that the sample space only contains a red ball and this is because events in the sample space are to be disjoint.

But how come this is not the case when we try to calculate the probability of picking a red ball out of a basket with 49 yellow balls and 1red ball.

If I write down the "sample space" such that the outcomes are disjoint I will only have 2 outcomes (namely the red and yellow ball) in which case the probability measure of picking a red or yellow is 0. 5. I got this from dividing the size of the event ( red) by the size sample space.

Ofcourse this is not the case because red and yellow balls are not equally likely. But by writing down the sample space such that outcomes are disjoint it appears as if red and yellow are equally likely.

What is the reason or flaw in my reasoning? Do you we only use the formula sizeof(event)/sizeof(sample space) when the sample space is understood ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First sample space: [itex] \{R1, R2\} [/tex] (red one and red two), each with probability 1/2. Probability of red is 1/2 + 1/2 = 1

Second sample space: [itex] \{Y1, \dots, Y49, R\} [/itex]

Probability of yellow:

[tex]
\underbrace{\frac 1 {50} + \frac 1 {50} + \cdots + \frac 1 {50}}_{49 \text{ terms}} = \frac{49}{50}
[/tex]

Okay. So basic assumption is that the sample space is understood in a meaning way.

Thanks, that is all I needed.

1. What is a sample space?

A sample space is a set of all possible outcomes of an experiment or event.

2. How is sample space related to probability?

The sample space is used to determine the total number of possible outcomes, which is then used to calculate the probability of a specific outcome occurring.

3. What is a probability measure?

A probability measure is a function that assigns a numerical value to each event in a sample space, representing the likelihood of that event occurring.

4. How is probability measure calculated?

Probability measure is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes in the sample space.

5. How does sample space and probability measure help in making predictions?

Sample space and probability measure provide a framework for understanding the likelihood of a specific outcome occurring, allowing scientists to make informed predictions based on data and prior knowledge.