Sampling Continuous-Time Signal

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the output signal and sampling period for a system with an ideal low pass filter with a cutoff frequency of 3π/4 and zero phase characteristic. It also touches on the use of Fourier transforms and the translation property for time-shifted signals. The conversation concludes with a question about the possibility of signals getting past the low-pass filter.
mickonk
This my homework:
Input signal to system is:

t1.png

where

t2.png

t3.png

H(exp(jw)) is transfer function of ideal low pass filter with cutoff frequency wg=3*pi/4 and zero phase characteristic. Sampling in A/D converter is done with period T=(1/125) seconds.
a) Calculate output signal ya(t)
b) Calculate sampling period T for ya(t)=xa(t)First thing: they said that wa1, wa2 and wa3 have dimension 1/s. Is that mistake? I think that it should be rad/sec.
I recently started studying digital signal processing and I'm not so good yet but here are my thoughts. I know that A/D sampling period tells us that every T seconds A/D converter will take value from input time signal.
Frequency of sampling would be (1/T) [Hz] and it must be at least two times bigger than biggest frequency in input signal. Ideal low pass filter will pass only signals with frequencies lower than cutoff frequency
I know that I should first find amplitude spectrum of input signal using Fourier transform but I don't know how to find x(n). Here is how I would find FT of input signal. We can write last term of xa(t) as $$\sin (wa3t+(\frac{\pi}{2}+\theta))$$ Fourier transform of sine wave $$A\sin (w_0t)$$ is $$Aj\pi[\delta(w+w_0)-\delta(w-w_0)]$$, So FT of first term of $$x_a(t)$$ will be $$1j\pi[\delta(w+w_{a1})-\delta(w-w_{a1})]$$, FT of second term $$(1/2)j\pi[\delta(w+w_{a2})-\delta(w-w_{a2})]$$. What would be FT for third term, since it is time shifted?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This would be (hopefully) amplitude spectrum of first and second term of input signal:

t4.png

Last edited:
mickonk said:
First thing: they said that wa1, wa2 and wa3 have dimension 1/s. Is that mistake? I think that it should be rad/sec.
An angle in radians is a dimensionless quantity, so, strictly speaking, it's correct to use the unit hertz [1/s] for both frequency and angular frequency. We usually make it explicit, though, by using [rad/s] for angular frequency to avoid any confusion.

mickonk said:
What would be FT for third term, since it is time shifted?
Try going through your transform table again (Google one if you need to) - the translation/shifting property of the Fourier transform should be included in just about any of them.

Last edited:
Hi milesyoung.
That's FT pair from my book. Is it wrong?
I found time shifting property in my book: if function is $$f(t\pm t_0)$$, FT is $$e^{\pm jw_0t_0}F(jw)$$. So FT of time shifted term would be $$e^{\pm jw(\frac{\pi}{2}+\theta)} F(jw) $$, right?

Last edited:
mickonk said:
That's FT pair from my book. Is it wrong?
No, sorry, that was my mistake. I'm used to the unitary definition of the Fourier transform, so when I skimmed over it, I just noticed the lack of a scaling factor.

mickonk said:
FT is $$e^{\pm jw_0t_0}F(jw)$$
You probably mean ##F(\omega)##.

mickonk said:
So FT of time shifted term would be $$e^{\pm jw(\frac{\pi}{2}+\theta)} F(jw) $$, right?
Not quite for your function, but it's not something you have to do from scratch. See here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Waves/Fourier_Transforms#Fourier_Transform_Pairs

If the filter cuts off at w = 3π/4 and the lowest signal frequency is w = 100π, and sampling does not generate frequencies below the signal frequency, then how can anything get past the ideal low-pass filter?

1. What is a continuous-time signal?

A continuous-time signal is a type of signal that is defined and measurable at every instant of time. This means that the signal has an infinite number of values over a continuous range of time.

2. What does sampling a continuous-time signal mean?

Sampling a continuous-time signal involves taking a series of discrete samples of the signal at specific time intervals. This creates a digital representation of the original continuous signal.

3. How is a continuous-time signal represented in the digital domain?

A continuous-time signal is represented in the digital domain as a series of discrete values, typically in the form of a digital signal or a series of numbers. This is done through the process of sampling and quantization.

4. What is the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem?

The Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem states that in order to accurately reconstruct a continuous-time signal from its discrete samples, the sampling frequency must be at least twice the highest frequency component of the signal. This is known as the Nyquist rate.

5. Can sampling introduce errors in the reconstructed signal?

Yes, sampling a continuous-time signal can introduce errors in the reconstructed signal. This is due to the fact that the original continuous signal is being represented by a limited number of discrete samples, which may not capture all the information present in the original signal. This can result in a loss of fidelity or accuracy in the reconstructed signal.