SAT II Physics should I study

In summary, the conversation is discussing strategies for studying for the SAT Physics test and whether or not cramming is effective. The first person asks if they need to memorize all the laws and if there is a list available. The second person suggests using a practice book and possibly working alone. The third person disagrees and suggests using a different strategy for studying. The fourth person disagrees with cramming and discusses the limited amount of time left before the test. The fifth person suggests that 40 hours of studying is still a significant amount of time and could potentially be effective. The last person is skeptical about the effectiveness of cramming for such a complex subject.
crazybandit
will the SAT Physics test ask me something like "What does the Second Law of Thermodynamics say should happen..."? If so, do I need to memorize all these laws? How can I possibly know them all? Is there a list?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, do you have a practice book ? Working on it alone would also be of help.

--Forgive and Forget--
IwillBeGood

IwillBeGood said:
Of course, do you have a practice book ? Working on it alone would also be of help.

--Forgive and Forget--
IwillBeGood

yes, i am, but I am cramming cause my test is in 3 days... did you take it yet? if youre good in physics you have to help me... seriously

How much will you pay for me ?

crazybandit said:
yes, i am, but I am cramming cause my test is in 3 days...

This strategy is unlikely to help.

This strategy is unlikely to help.
I respectfully disagree. For a real, well-designed physics test this may be the case, but due to the standard format of the SATII and the fairly limited amount of stuff covered and the shallow way in which it's covered it's extremely easy to cram for it.

If this is simply for SATII, not trying to actually learn physics, then I can suggest you look at:
http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/
It tries to focus exactly on the areas relevant to the subject test and it doesn't really dig deeper when it doesn't need to. In addition it tries to give you questions like the ones you can expect on the SAT. It's however somewhat poorly written and there is a considerable amount of errors in the text, and I would definitely not choose it for learning physics, but for the SATII I haven't found anything better. Personally I used that and the chemistry guide on the same site to cram for the December 2008 subject tests and got 3x800 in mathII, chem and physics. I already had the math learned and I had been exposed to a lot of the material in school at some point, but I feel this guide helped me to get the last 200-400 points of the way in just 2 days (for instance I had never heard of optics so that section was extremely relevant to me and we hadn't covered magnetism in school). They also have some practice tests, but I believe you have to sign up for a couple of free accounts to get access to all these (dunno if this is allowed; probably not). The practice tests sometimes mark correct answers as incorrect, but on the whole they can be great to let you get a feel for the test, but remember that these are unofficial and some of the questions may not be of the type you could get on the real thing. If you can you should get your hands on a real past test (I know CollegeBoard released at least one as part of their own SAT Subject Test book, but I don't think it's available online). So my advice: Spend some time going over the stuff in SparkNotes that you're not comfortable with, take a couple of practice test and go over some more of the stuff you did badly on (perhaps refer to your physics books if you have such a thing for an alternative explanation).

gunch said:
I respectfully disagree. For a real, well-designed physics test this may be the case, but due to the standard format of the SATII and the fairly limited amount of stuff covered and the shallow way in which it's covered it's extremely easy to cram for it.

Even if I bought that, the time scale is three (now two) days. Cramming now, even if I stiplate that cramming is effective, is too late.

Vanadium 50 said:
Even if I bought that, the time scale is three (now two) days. Cramming now, even if I stiplate that cramming is effective, is too late.

40 hours is a lot of time...

maze said:
40 hours is a lot of time...

Not in comparison to the time one spent - or should have spent -studying physics for a year.

Look, we have someone who's complaining about memorizing "all those laws" when asked about the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Do you really think a few hours of cramming will make a huge difference?

Vanadium 50 said:
Not in comparison to the time one spent - or should have spent -studying physics for a year.

Look, we have someone who's complaining about memorizing "all those laws" when asked about the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Do you really think a few hours of cramming will make a huge difference?

Studying 40 hours is equivalent to doing 2 hours a day for 5 days a week, for 4 weeks. I'm not saying its the best way to go in terms of your physical or mental health, but if the pressures on, you really focus, and you have enough caffeine... you can learn a lot in 2 days.

maze said:
Studying 40 hours is equivalent to doing 2 hours a day for 5 days a week, for 4 weeks.

If you say so. Not in my experience.

Related to SAT II Physics should I study

1. How should I study for the SAT II Physics exam?

To prepare for the SAT II Physics exam, it is important to review all of the major topics covered in the exam, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. Practice problems and past exams are also helpful in familiarizing yourself with the format and types of questions on the exam.

2. How long does it take to study for the SAT II Physics exam?

The amount of time it takes to study for the SAT II Physics exam will vary for each individual, but it is recommended to start studying at least a few weeks in advance. This will give you enough time to thoroughly review all of the material and practice solving problems.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to do well on the SAT II Physics exam?

While having a strong math background can certainly be helpful, it is not a requirement for doing well on the SAT II Physics exam. The exam does not require advanced math skills, but it does involve applying basic math concepts to physics problems. It is important to review and understand the mathematical formulas and equations covered in the exam.

4. Are there any specific resources or study materials that you recommend for the SAT II Physics exam?

There are many resources available for studying for the SAT II Physics exam, including review books, online practice tests, and study guides. It is important to choose materials from reputable sources and to use a variety of resources to cover all of the exam topics.

5. How can I improve my score on the SAT II Physics exam?

The best way to improve your score on the SAT II Physics exam is to practice, practice, practice. Make sure to review all of the major topics and to work on sample problems and past exams. It can also be helpful to identify areas where you may need more review and to seek out additional resources or help from a tutor or teacher.