Satellite Collision: Find Max Mass mj for Orbit Without Hitting Earth

In summary, the problem involves a satellite in circular orbit around the Earth colliding with a piece of space junk and forming a new elliptical orbit. The maximum value of the junk mass, in terms of the satellite mass, for the satellite to remain in orbit without hitting the Earth is (√(3)-1)*m. This solution was obtained using the conservation of angular momentum and energy equations.
jhoge

Homework Statement

A satellite of mass m is in a circular orbit of radius 2RE around the Earth. The satellite hits a piece of space junk of mass mj. The space junk, which was initially at rest, sticks to the satellite. The satellite and junk then fall as one in a new elliptic orbit around the Earth. What is the maximum value of the junk mass mj such the satellite of m is to remain in orbit without hitting the Earth? Write your expression in terms of m and no other variables or constants.

Neglect the Earth's atmosphere. Explicitly indicate multiplication using the * symbol

Homework Equations

The equations that are relevant to this problem are the conservation of angular momentum and the conservation of energy equations.

In this case the conservation of angular momentum for the satellite before the collision is :
m*Vo*2R. (Vo is the initial orbital velocity of the satellite. Considering the centripetal
force acting on the satellite we can determine its orbital velocity to be √(G*M/R) At aphelion, the angular momentum of the combined mass of satellite and space junk is:
(m+mj)Va*2R (I am considering the collision to occur at aphelion as this is the farthest point
the satellite can reach from Earth. The satellite slows upon collision, resulting in the elliptical orbit.

At perihelion, the angular momentum is:
(m+mj)Vp*R

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach involves using the conservation of energy and momentum equations mentioned above. In short, I used to conservation of angular momentum to say that

(1) m*Vo*2R = (m+mj)Va*2R &
(2) m*Vo*2R = (m+mj)Vp*R

Using the conservation of energy equation (energy is only conserved after the collision since it is inelastic):

(3) (1/2)(m+mj)(Vp)^2 - GM(m+mj)/R = (1/2)(m+mj)(Va)^2 - GM(m+mj)/2R

I get : (3) Vp^2 - Va^2 = GM/R

Solving for Vp using equation (1) i get Vp = 2*m*√(G*M/R)/(m+mj)
Solving for Va using equation (2) i get Va = m*√(G*M/R)/(m+mj)

Plugging these values into (3) i get

(4) 4m^2Vo^2/(m+mj)^2 - m^2Vo^2/(m+mj)^2 = G*M/R.

Given that Vo = √(G*M/R), equation (4) simplifies to 3m^2 = (m + mj)^2, which leaves me with a value of

mj= (√(3)-1)*m.

I would like to know if this approach is the correct one, because I have one submission attempt left. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
forgot to include photo

here is a photo

Attachments

• satellite collision.jpg
    satellite collision.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 417

What is a satellite collision?

A satellite collision is when two or more satellites collide with each other in orbit, resulting in potential damage to the satellites and the surrounding space.

How does a satellite collision occur?

Satellite collisions can occur due to several factors, such as human error, malfunctioning equipment, or debris in space. These collisions can also happen when satellites are not properly monitored or controlled.

What is the maximum mass of a satellite for it to orbit without hitting Earth?

The maximum mass of a satellite for it to orbit without hitting Earth depends on several factors, including the altitude and speed of the satellite's orbit. Generally, the maximum mass is determined by calculating the satellite's kinetic energy and comparing it to the Earth's gravitational potential energy.

How can scientists prevent satellite collisions?

Scientists can prevent satellite collisions by closely monitoring and tracking the orbits of satellites, regularly updating and adjusting their trajectories, and implementing protocols for satellite disposal. Communication and collaboration among satellite operators and space agencies are also crucial in preventing collisions.

What are the implications of satellite collisions?

Satellite collisions can have serious consequences, including damage to expensive equipment, disruption of communication and navigation systems, and the creation of hazardous debris in space. These collisions can also impact scientific research and exploration, as well as commercial and military operations relying on satellites.