Satellite grids around other planets

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of rovers and satellite grids for exploring other planets. While the focus is often on Mars, it is mentioned that orbiters have been sent to other planets such as Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn, as well as a dwarf planet and asteroids. It is also noted that orbiters can act as relay links for landers. The conversation concludes with the original poster clarifying that they are not the original owner of the account.
Gear300
We send a lot of rovers to Mars, as interesting as the planet could possibly be. But why are we not putting satellite grids around other planets that could transmit superficial probe data at the very least? That along with whatever other prospects satellite grids could possibly bear us. That seems to me like a much more interesting project.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
We are! Have you heard of Juno? Cassini?

We have sent orbiters to other planets (Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn), one dwarf planet(Ceres), and a couple of asteroids.

Lol, so this was a stupid question. Well I guess for reputation's sake, I should say I am not the original owner of this account, which I am not.

Gear300 said:
Lol, so this was a stupid question. Well I guess for reputation's sake, I should say I am not the original owner of this account, which I am not.
It's not a stupid question -- this isn't something most people would know. And it isn't "grids" per se, it is just orbiters that in addition to their stand-alone science missions are used as relay links for landers.

Likes Klystron

1. What is the purpose of having satellite grids around other planets?

Satellite grids around other planets serve a variety of purposes, including communication, navigation, and scientific research. They allow for continuous communication with spacecraft and rovers on the planet's surface, as well as providing valuable data and images for scientific study.

2. How are satellite grids around other planets created?

Satellite grids around other planets are created by launching multiple satellites into orbit around the planet. These satellites are carefully positioned to provide maximum coverage and communication capabilities, and are often controlled by a central ground station on Earth.

3. What types of satellites are used in these grids?

There are several types of satellites used in satellite grids around other planets, including communication satellites, navigation satellites, and scientific research satellites. Each type serves a specific purpose in the grid and is equipped with specialized instruments and technology.

4. How do satellite grids around other planets benefit us on Earth?

Satellite grids around other planets provide us with valuable data and images that can help us better understand our solar system and the universe. They also aid in communication and navigation for spacecraft and rovers on the planet's surface, allowing for more efficient and accurate missions.

5. Are there any potential risks or challenges associated with satellite grids around other planets?

There are some potential risks and challenges associated with satellite grids around other planets, such as the possibility of collisions between satellites or interference from solar flares. However, these risks are carefully monitored and managed by scientists and engineers to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the grids.