Satellite Hohmann transfer problem

• Thread starter Sekonda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, the problem involves a spacecraft starting in a circular orbit around the Sun at the Earth's orbital radius. The spacecraft then uses a single rocket thrust to enter a new orbit with an aphelion distance equal to the radius of Jupiter's orbit. To determine the ratio of the spacecraft's speeds just after and just before the rocket thrust, one must draw a sketch of the scenario and calculate the initial and final speeds using the total energy of the orbit. The semi-major axis length can be found using the equation E=-k/(2a), where k represents the gravitational constant and M represents the mass of the Sun. By solving for the semi-major axis length and using the total energy of the orbit, the ratio of the spacecraft's speeds
Sekonda
Hey guys, here is the problem:

A spacecraft is initially in a circular orbit of the Sun at the Earth’s orbital radius. It uses
a single brief rocket thrust parallel to its velocity to put it in a new orbit with aphelion
distance equal to the radius of Jupiter’s orbit.

What is the ratio of the spacecraft ’s speeds just after and just before the rocket thrust?

I am aware, or at least I think this problem is similar to a Hohmann transfer orbit but I'm fairly confused on how to start resolving the problem; I think I need to determine the perihelion distance though I'm not sure why.

Thanks,
S

Physics news on Phys.org
Sekonda said:
Hey guys, here is the problem:

A spacecraft is initially in a circular orbit of the Sun at the Earth’s orbital radius. It uses
a single brief rocket thrust parallel to its velocity to put it in a new orbit with aphelion
distance equal to the radius of Jupiter’s orbit.

What is the ratio of the spacecraft ’s speeds just after and just before the rocket thrust?

I am aware, or at least I think this problem is similar to a Hohmann transfer orbit but I'm fairly confused on how to start resolving the problem; I think I need to determine the perihelion distance though I'm not sure why.

Thanks,
S
As you surmised, the problem is very much like a Hohmann transfer problem, at least the transfer orbit part.

Make a sketch of the scenario and I think you'll find that the perihelion distance is fairly obvious. You should be able to determine the initial speed (prior to the thrust) given where the spacecraft is starting from. Finding the speed after the thrust will require determining some information about the transfer orbit.

I'm still a bit confused, the aphelion distance was easy enough, though I'm unsure how the satellite is entering the orbit, is it entering the aphelion side of perihelion side of the Jupiter orbit.

Am I effectively working out how much kinetic energy would have to be used to overcome the gravitational potential difference between the Earth's orbit and Jupiter's?

Thanks,
S

Sekonda said:
I'm still a bit confused, the aphelion distance was easy enough, though I'm unsure how the satellite is entering the orbit, is it entering the aphelion side of perihelion side of the Jupiter orbit.

Am I effectively working out how much kinetic energy would have to be used to overcome the gravitational potential difference between the Earth's orbit and Jupiter's?

Thanks,
S
Just draw two concentric circles, one representing the orbit of Earth and the other representing the orbit of Jupiter. A dot at the center can represent the position of the Sun. You should be able to draw in an elliptical transfer orbit that touches both circles at the ends of its major axis. What then is the major axis length?

Can you determine the total energy of the orbit from the length of the major axis?

Is the semi major axis 0.5(Rj+Re) where Rj is the radius of Jupiter's orbit and Re is the radius of Earth's orbit?

Can I the use the fact the the total energy at these points is given by E=-k/(2a)

where 'a' is the semimajor axis length? and k=GMm

Sekonda said:
Is the semi major axis 0.5(Rj+Re) where Rj is the radius of Jupiter's orbit and Re is the radius of Earth's orbit?
Yes it is.
Can I the use the fact the the total energy at these points is given by E=-k/(2a)
Yes you can. Actually it's true for the entire orbit -- the total specific mechanical energy for an orbit is a constant.
where 'a' is the semimajor axis length? and k=GMm
k (or more conventionally, μ) is in this case just G*M, M being the mass of the Sun.

Thanks for the prompt reply, also for the clarification and advice.

I believe I have solved the problem now, thanks again gneill!

Sekonda said:
Thanks for the prompt reply, also for the clarification and advice.

I believe I have solved the problem now, thanks again gneill!

You're welcome :smile:

1. What is a Hohmann transfer?

A Hohmann transfer is a type of orbital maneuver used to transfer a satellite from one circular orbit to another, using the least amount of energy possible. It involves two engine burns, one to raise the satellite's orbit and another to circularize it at its new orbit.

2. How does a Hohmann transfer work?

A Hohmann transfer works by taking advantage of the differences in orbital speeds at different altitudes. The first engine burn raises the satellite's orbit, increasing its potential energy. The second burn is timed so that the satellite reaches its new orbit at the same time as the target orbit, allowing it to maintain the same orbital speed as the target.

3. What is the optimal time for a Hohmann transfer?

The optimal time for a Hohmann transfer is when the target orbit is at its closest point to the current orbit. This is known as the transfer window and occurs when the two orbits are in the correct alignment for the least energy transfer.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Hohmann transfer?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Hohmann transfer. It is only applicable for transferring between circular orbits in the same plane. It also assumes a constant force from the engine and neglects any external forces, such as atmospheric drag.

5. How long does a Hohmann transfer take?

The duration of a Hohmann transfer depends on the distance between the current and target orbits. It typically takes a few months for transfers between Earth's orbits and longer for transfers to other planets. However, the transfer can be completed faster with a higher energy burn, but this requires more fuel.