Satellite in Space: Why Freely Falling?

This is not a homework or answer-providing service. It's a discussion forum.In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a satellite or space capsule in a stable circular orbit around Earth and why astronauts in these capsules are said to be in a weightless condition. The discussion also expresses a desire for a more satisfactory answer to the questions posed.
sarthak sharma
Q1 Why does a satellite(or any space capsule etc) moving in a stable circular orbit around Earth behaves like a freely falling body??

Q2 Why do the astronauts in these capsules are said to be in weightless condition??

i m not much convinced with the solutions to my doubts so i would appreciate if i can get a much satisfactory answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm interested to hear your attempted solutions.

But isn't a satellite in a stable orbit freely falling? I mean, perhaps a satellite in a stable orbit behaves like a freely falling body because it is a freely falling body?

Also, you might want to throw in something about the centripetal force somewhere along the way.

sarthak sharma said:
Q1 Why does a satellite(or any space capsule etc) moving in a stable circular orbit around Earth behaves like a freely falling body??

Q2 Why do the astronauts in these capsules are said to be in weightless condition??

i m not much convinced with the solutions to my doubts so i would appreciate if i can get a much satisfactory answer...
If these are questions you've been given, you need to post your own attempts at answers.

A1: A satellite or any space capsule moving in a stable circular orbit around Earth behaves like a freely falling body because it is constantly under the influence of Earth's gravitational force. In order to stay in orbit, the satellite must be moving at a specific velocity known as orbital velocity. This velocity is carefully calculated so that the centripetal force of the satellite's motion is equal to the gravitational force pulling it towards Earth. As a result, the satellite is in a state of constant free fall towards Earth, but its horizontal velocity keeps it from crashing into the planet. This is similar to how a person in an elevator experiences weightlessness when the elevator is in free fall.

A2: Astronauts in these capsules are said to be in a weightless condition because they are essentially in a constant state of free fall. Since they are orbiting the Earth at the same rate as the satellite, they experience the same acceleration due to gravity as the satellite. This creates a feeling of weightlessness because there is no external force acting on their bodies. However, they are still subject to the same gravitational force from Earth, which is why they are not completely weightless. The term "microgravity" is often used to describe this condition because the gravitational force is significantly reduced compared to what we experience on the surface of Earth.

1. How does a satellite stay in orbit?

A satellite stays in orbit by achieving a balance between the centrifugal force generated by its orbital motion and the gravitational pull of the Earth. This results in a state of constant free fall, where the satellite is continuously falling towards the Earth but remains at a constant distance due to its high speed and the curvature of the Earth.

2. What is the purpose of a satellite in space?

The purpose of a satellite in space can vary depending on its design and function. Some satellites are used for communication, others for weather forecasting, navigation, scientific research, and more. Overall, satellites provide valuable data, information, and services that benefit our daily lives.

3. How fast does a satellite travel in orbit?

The speed of a satellite in orbit depends on its altitude and the size of the body it is orbiting. For example, a satellite in low Earth orbit (LEO) with an altitude of 200 km would travel at a speed of approximately 7.8 km/s, while a satellite in geostationary orbit (GEO) with an altitude of 35,786 km would travel at a speed of about 3 km/s.

4. Can a satellite fall to Earth?

Yes, a satellite can fall to Earth if it loses its balance between the centrifugal force and gravitational pull. This can happen due to factors such as atmospheric drag or changes in orbital parameters. However, most satellites are designed to have a long lifespan and are equipped with thrusters to make small adjustments to their orbit to prevent falling to Earth.

5. How do satellites maintain their position in orbit?

Satellites maintain their position in orbit through the use of thrusters and onboard computers. These thrusters are used to make small adjustments to the satellite's speed and direction, keeping it in its designated orbit. Additionally, some satellites use gravity assist maneuvers, where they use the gravitational pull of other bodies in space to maintain their position and save fuel.