Saturn's Rings: Part of the Planet or Satellites?

In summary, Kepler's 3rd law states that R^3=period^2 which equals 4pi^2R^2/v^2. Simplifying, I get R is proportional to 1/v^2 assuming that the layer will be a satellite of Saturn. However this is not an answer choice, what am I doing wrong?
postfan

Homework Statement

There is a ring outside of Saturn. In order to distinguish if the ring is actually a part of Saturn or is instead part
of the satellites of Saturn, we need to know the relation between the velocity v of each layer in the ring and the
distance R of the layer to the center of Saturn. Which of the following statements is correct?
(A) If v ∝ R, then the layer is part of Saturn.
(B) If v^2 ∝ R, then the layer is part of the satellites of Saturn.
(C) If v ∝ 1/R, then the layer is part of Saturn.
(D) If v^2 ∝ 1/R, then the layer is part of Saturn.
(E) If v ∝ R^2, then the layer is part of the satellites of Saturn.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Kepler's 3rd law to get that R^3=period^2 which equals 4pi^2R^2/v^2. Simplifying I get R is proportional to 1/v^2 assuming that the layer will be a satellite of Saturn. However this is not an answer choice, what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
postfan said:
get R is proportional to 1/v^2
Can you rewrite this proportion?

V^2 is proportional to R.

"R ∝ 1/V2" is what you've got. You handle the proportion with the same set of "grammatical rules" you use to handle any other algebraic statement, equalities, inequalities, whatever --- whatever you do to one side of the proportion, you do to the other.

Wait typo (had it correct in my written work) , v^2 is proportional to 1/R.

Which is one of the answers.

OK, but wait how do I know that that means that the layer is part of Saturn ( as opposed to a satellite)?

Now you did it --- you made me read the question. I was just looking at your math. My bad.
postfan said:
R is proportional to 1/v^2 assuming that the layer will be a satellite
This is good, or the inverse, and holds for satellites. There are no statements that include this relation and satellites. Therefore, the layer is not a satellite. What can you do with the other relations?

I don't understand.

You've correctly shown that the relationship between V and R for a satellite has to be R ∝ 1/V2, or 1/R ∝ V2. Neither of those relationships are included in the list of possible answers that also include satellites. Correct?
So, you're looking at a part of Saturn. Now, which of the statements that call the layer a part of Saturn are consistent with the motions you see in satellite photos of Earth of parts of earth?

That is true, however what if the question wasn't multiple choice?

postfan said:
wasn't multiple choice?
Then, the question has to specifically ask you for a specific answer which you can derive from information given in the question, or that the question's author(s) are assuming you to know or be able to access. I'm guessing you know Kepler's laws and other such from the facility you demonstrated using the third.

Well the question I have is know that I know the relation in terms of both variables how do I know which one corresponds to either Saturn itself or a satellite assuming I couldn't figure it out using the answer choices.

From the way the question is written, I'd say you can regard Saturn as a solid body --- V is going to be directly proportional to R, just like rotating a lightbulb and watching the filament rotate with it. Satellite motion you've got from Kepler. If they play multiple choice games with you, you have to watch for what statements are consistent internally with themselves, and with the question/answer you're asked to give.

So I take it you don't like multiple choice questions huh. :)

Fortunately, I'm at an age where it really doesn't matter --- your age, I could "read" test authors' minds after one or two questions, and it didn't matter whether it was multiple choice, open response, T/F, fill in the blank, match six items from column a) to six in column b) or what. Nowadays, you've got to put up with tests put together by committees, and I appreciate that you're facing an uglier situation. Relax --- if an answer doesn't come to you in 20 or 30 seconds, move on and come back when you've finished the rest. You'll do fine.

Yeah well these are from the national physics olympiad contest that we're taking this week. Thanks for the help and confidence!

What is the difference between Saturn and its satellites?

Saturn is a large gas giant planet that is the sixth planet from the sun in our solar system. It is known for its iconic rings and has a diameter of about 120,000 kilometers. On the other hand, Saturn's satellites are smaller objects that orbit around Saturn. They are also known as moons and there are currently 82 known satellites orbiting Saturn.

How many satellites does Saturn have?

As of 2020, there are 82 known satellites orbiting Saturn. The largest and most well-known of these is Titan, which is also the second-largest moon in our solar system.

What are some interesting facts about Saturn's satellites?

Some interesting facts about Saturn's satellites include that Titan is the only known moon in our solar system to have a dense atmosphere. Another interesting fact is that Enceladus, one of Saturn's smaller moons, has geysers that spew out water and ice particles from its surface.

How do Saturn's satellites affect the planet?

The gravitational pull of Saturn's satellites affects the planet in a few ways. The most noticeable effect is the formation of Saturn's iconic rings, which are made up of particles from the planet's moons. The satellites also help stabilize Saturn's tilt, which affects its seasons.

Can Saturn's satellites support life?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that Saturn's satellites can support life. However, some of the moons, such as Titan and Enceladus, have environments that could potentially harbor microbial life. Further research and exploration are needed to determine if there is any life on these satellites.