SAW 2 : Mega Box Office Success ?

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary: Saw 2: Mega Box Office Success?!There is something "wrong" with the SAW 2 movie, as all seats have already been sold out for the past three evenings. Despite this, many people are still trying to get tickets, presumably because they enjoyed the first movie. Judging by the comments, it seems that not many people liked the sequel. The only thing that is left to enjoy is the violence and torture.
yomamma said:
I heard that there's a pic online of Michael after the venus flytrap was taken off:wink:

Where can i find this picture ? I might use it as wrapping paper for some of my New Years Eve presents :) Funny isn't it ? hahahaha

marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea. I've seen one with Gus laying down after he got shot in the head though, pretty gorey, probably over-exaggerated

Last edited:
I actually liked Seven. I didn't appreciate the graphic scenes, but that wasn't surprising. Seven was much more original and had a plot. Saw was pointless and disgusting. i don't pretend to be particularly fond of horror, but i don't mind most. Saw however, was simply disturbing and it really sickens me that anyone enjoyed it.

You find sAW disturbing but not Se7en? You mean that making a guy eat to death, and then kicking him and making him burst didn't disturb you? That's pretty messed up. :confused:

marlon said:
Where can i find this picture ? I might use it as wrapping paper for some of my New Years Eve presents :) Funny isn't it ? hahahaha
marlon
All right, a lot of people are upset by gory movies, let's not provoke people.

If you like slasher movies, that's fine, but let's not glorify the behavior exemplified in the movie.

I watched the first one and thought it wasn't bad. The second one was rather cheesy in my opinion.

Gale, you might be slightly comfitted to know that in the second movie jigsaw made his "puzzles" in such a way that the participants were to give of themselves in order to save the others. Ofcourse none of them really do this.

Gale said:
I actually liked Seven. I didn't appreciate the graphic scenes, but that wasn't surprising. Seven was much more original and had a plot. Saw was pointless and disgusting. i don't pretend to be particularly fond of horror, but i don't mind most. Saw however, was simply disturbing and it really sickens me that anyone enjoyed it.

This is the same type of stuff people said about "clockwork orange" all those years ago... And that is now deemed a masterpeice now :-)

Evo said:
If you like slasher movies, that's fine, but let's not glorify the behavior exemplified in the movie.

Are we glorifying that behaviour then ?

In all honesty, i don't see why you post such a remark. If you read this thread carefully, you will see there is not a single post (up till this one) that tries to convince people this kind of behaviour is good because of whatever reason.

marlon

ps : but in all honesty Evo, i very well understand why you wrote your post inhere. I will not push this any further...Sorry:wink:

I thought the first saw was okay, the second was just too much for me though. I'm all for a little gratuitous violence, but saw 2 goes way too far. 2 solid hours of extreme torture and pain. Faces of Death looks tame in comparison.

Evo said:
If you like slasher movies

I do, especially the subcategory denoted with the epithton "TEEN". Like I know what you did last summer, staring Jennifer Love Hewit dressed in a very nice (yet very present) "soutien gorge"...

marlon

marlon said:
Are we glorifying that behaviour then ?
In all honesty, i don't see why you post such a remark. If you read this thread carefully, you will see there is not a single post (up till this one) that tries to convince people this kind of behaviour is good because of whatever reason.
marlon
Marlon, you made it very clear you think the serial killer is the good guy in Saw:

Your post #18

Gale said:
and yeah? why did he organize his riddles? sure..
marlon said:
I am sorry but clearly you did not get the point of the entire movie. Typical :rolleyes:
The reason is that healthy people always take life for granted and mock other that are not that fortunated. The main killer was a patient of Dr Gordan, you know...
Gale said:
he helped that poor girl.. yeah, what a great guy!
Marlon said:
No, he made her realize something...LIFE IS PRECIOUS...Embrace it...
This movie promotes the "respect life"-principle.
marlon

You feel the serial killer is promoting a "respect life" principle.

Last edited:
yomamma said:
You find sAW disturbing but not Se7en? You mean that making a guy eat to death, and then kicking him and making him burst didn't disturb you? That's pretty messed up. :confused:

Seven had an underlying plot and morals involved. Saw did not. Seven was about a killer who actualized the "seven deadly sins." i appreciated the movie because underlying the violence and torture the message was about good vs evil and sinning and the moral dilemma at the end of the movie. The movie has killing, but was not created for the sake of watching people die. Seven is a MUCH better movie. The killing in the movie has purpose, and serves as a medium to get out its message about morals and values.

Saw had nothing of the sort. Its a movie created so that sick people can enjoy the murder and torture of human beings from the comfort of their home, under the guise of entertainment.

Its only a fick guys, come on :-)

Its art.. its suppose to make u think, if u know what is right and what is wrong then no problems

zoobyshoe said:
Marlon, you made it very clear you think the serial killer is the good guy in Saw:

Your post #18
You feel the serial killer is promoting a "respect life" principle.
<sighs>

No Zooby,

I am not promoting such behaviour, i was outlining what the movie is about. I was illustrating the killer's motif. All these posts of mine are almost exact quotes from the movie. This is not my personal opinion. I don't even get how you come to such a conclusion ? Care to explain, hu ?

There is a line between fiction and reality, you know.

Besides, even if it were my opinion (which it is NOT), i really should not be answering to you, should I ? Care to explain, hu ?

regards
marlon

I never saw saw. But a friend of mine did see saw. One of my students saw saw too and I think he was going to see saw two. My friend (who saw saw but did not see saw two) thought saw was so so. My student (who saw saw and went to see saw two too) thought saw was great. I don't intend to see saw and I won't say saw sucks, nor saw two (if I never saw saw two I can't say saw two sucks) but so many say saw is worth seeing and if you see saw you're supposed to see saw two too. But I won't be saying if saw, saw two, or anything I've never seen is worth seeing or if it sucks.Kicking a dead horse...

Last edited:
Gale said:
Seven had an underlying plot and morals involved. ...and serves as a medium to get out its message about morals and values. .
So as long as the killings are biblical in nature means it's moral?

i did NOT say the killings were moral. I said the movie was a piece about morals and values, and the killing of the characters served to get the message out. I can appreciate the movie as an art piece because of this. I could not, however, appreciate an actuality of the movie. read more carefully, i never implied biblical means moral, nor did i imply the killings were moral. The MOVIE was ABOUT morals.

Never pondered on seeing any Saw movie but it seems to me that this is another "scary movie" film genre.

Chi Meson said:
I never saw saw. But a friend of mine did see saw. One of my students saw saw too and I think he was going to see saw two. My friend (who saw saw but did not see saw two) thought saw was so so. My student (who saw saw and went to see saw two too) thought saw was great. I don't intend to see saw and I won't say saw sucks, nor saw two (if I never saw saw two I can't say saw two sucks) but so many say saw is worth seeing and if you see saw you're supposed to see saw two too. But I won't be saying if saw, saw two, or anything I've never seen is worth seeing or if it sucks.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I liked Saw 1, haven't seen Saw 2. Waiting to see Hostel: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450278/
I can't wait for that one. Looks very brutal though, I've seen some of the clips

marlon said:
<sighs>
No Zooby,
I am not promoting such behaviour,
I never said you were. I said, in effect, you are promoting approval of the character of the serial killer:
marlon
i was outlining what the movie is about.
Which you characterized as:
marlon
Which is a gross misunderstanding of the film. You are mistaking the killer's rationalization of his crimes as the principle the film is promoting.
I was illustrating the killer's motif.
In this film the killer rationalizes his crimes by claiming his victims didn't appreciate their lives. He adopts a false "high moral ground" to justify his sadism. However, you construe this as the movie promoting a "respect-life" principle. In other words, you think the killer is the good guy:
marlon
What you are clearly saying here is that the killer is doing a good thing.
You think he is teaching people to appreciate life.
The movie is not promoting a "respect-life" principle. You are completely wrong in asserting that. The killer is also not teaching anyone that life is precious. He is just destroying their lives under the pretext that he is punishing people who deserve it.
All these posts of mine are almost exact quotes from the movie.
Which has what to do with anything?
This is not my personal opinion.
What's not your personal opinion? You are posting someone else's opinions here? If so, you neglected to say so.
There is a line between fiction and reality, you know.
Besides, even if it were my opinion (which it is NOT), i really should not be answering to you, should I ? Care to explain, hu ?
regards
marlon
Looks like when you don't know what to say you adopt a patronizing attitude.

Zooby, got over it, it's a movie. HOSTEL is going to be a lot more senseless and brutal anyway:P

yomamma said:
So as long as the killings are biblical in nature means it's moral?
Yommama, what are you up to? You've been consistantly mischaracterizing Gale's posts. Are you doing this on purpose?

zoobyshoe said:
Yommama, what are you up to? You've been consistantly mischaracterizing Gale's posts. Are you doing this on purpose?
I am not "up to" anything. I'm asking her questions to understand what she means.

yomamma said:
I am not "up to" anything. I'm asking her questions to understand what she means.
So, what do you think the diference between Saw and Seven is, if any?

There are many differences between them but I'm not going to answer the question because this is getting old. Get over it, it's a movie

yomamma said:
There are many differences between them but I'm not going to answer the question because this is getting old. Get over it, it's a movie
You're barking up the wrong tree. The movie hardly bothers me. It is just two kids attempt to come up with the next twist in an already twisty genre.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I liked Saw 1, haven't seen Saw 2. Waiting to see Hostel: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450278/

Wow, seems very impressive.

Thanks for the link Greg

marlon

zoobyshoe said:
I never said you were. I said, in effect, you are promoting approval of the character of the serial killer:

:smile: C'mon, that's a bit lame isn't it ? You clearly said i approved such behaviour while i am not. You just misinterpreted my words.

You are mistaking the killer's rationalization of his crimes as the principle the film is promoting.
No, i never said that. I clearly stated what the KILLER is promoting here. I never said the above sentence nor did i ever make any allusion onto it. Again, this is a misinterpretation from your part.

However, you construe this as the movie promoting a "respect-life" principle. In other words, you think the killer is the good guy:
This is a false implication (why am i not surprised). You are just putting things into my mouth that i never said nor did i ever make that implication. The mistake you keep on making is actually this : RELATIVITY. The actions are promoted from the killer's perspective. It's from his frame of reference that i made my statements. The mere fact you cannot/refuse to acknowledge this, is the origin of the misinterpretations you keep on making from your very first post on.

What you are clearly saying here is that the killer is doing a good thing.
I am not the killer you know:rolleyes:
I was talking from his perspective. That is the whole point.:rolleyes:
You know, one cannot just say a movie is bad because of it's content. You are totally forgetting the technical aspects of movie making here. For example, the motion picture on the last days of Hitler's life (Der Üntergang) was a picture that received international recognition for the acting, camera work, plotline, scripts, lyrics, music...Knowing the sadism linked to Hitler's person, does not justify calling it a "bad movie". Same goes for se7en...Besides, much also depends on how sadism in brought into the picture. Do you think that "seeing" people suffocate in gasschambers is more perverse than seeing only a German Officer looking through a small window and laughing ?

Again, as i have stated before, SAW is a movie that contains several above average qualities when it comes to the technical aspects.

Ofcourse, as always, hypocritical moral knights as yourself never had any eye for detecting good quality work.

You think he is teaching people to appreciate life.
:rolleyes:
NO I AM NOT.
You should know by now why i give this answer.

Which has what to do with anything?
:smile:
I mentioned the "quotes" because it clearly demonstrates that i was referring to the killer talking, not good ol' marlon. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, i did not star in that movie:cry:

Looks like when you don't know what to say you adopt a patronizing attitude.

Does it really look like that, hu ?:confused:

regards
marlon

Last edited:
I have to say that this is the most hilarious thread I've ever read. You guys argue like brothers and sisters and then Chi Meson comes in and posts probably the most hilarious paragraph I've ever read.

I'm not much for horror films. I got to have a pure acting film. You know Dialogue, complex characters, the whole works. Films like Raging Bull, The Doors, or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

What I look for in a film is a film that gives the actor lots of improvisation time. As a director you just got to let the actors go all out with no restrictions. It's much more interesting that way. I don't think I've seen a horror film that allows that kind of freedom for actors. However, it can be hard to tell if a particular scene in a film was highly improvised or directed completely. Too much improvisation can get out of hand, but you got to love acting.

zeronem said:
What I look for in a film is a film that gives the actor lots of improvisation time.
Well, i agree but this requires very talented actors. Such quality is rare unless you are Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Jack Nicholson, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins, Marcello Mastroianni, Johnny Depp, F Murray Abraham,...

marlon

"Can't we all just get along?" ~Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain

tribdog said:
"Can't we all just get along?" ~Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain

Yes we can, once Zooby acknowledges that SAW is indeed a true masterpiece. :)

marlon

marlon said:
:smile: C'mon, that's a bit lame isn't it ? You clearly said i approved such behaviour while i am not.
Clearly quote me saying it, then.
, i never said that. I clearly stated what the KILLER is promoting here. I never said the above sentence nor did i ever make any allusion onto it. Again, this is a misinterpretation from your part.
I've already quoted you saying this several times, but here it is again:
This is a false implication (why am i not surprised). You are just putting things into my mouth that i never said nor did i ever make that implication. The mistake you keep on making is actually this : RELATIVITY. The actions are promoted from the killer's perspective. It's from his frame of reference that i made my statements. The mere fact you cannot/refuse to acknowledge this, is the origin of the misinterpretations you keep on making from your very first post on.
Here's what you said:
You aren't quoting anyone here.
I was talking from his perspective. That is the whole point.:rolleyes:
No you weren't. You refer to him in the third person. What a load of bull.
You know, one cannot just say a movie is bad because of it's content. You are totally forgetting the technical aspects of movie making here. For example, the motion picture on the last days of Hitler's life (Der Üntergang) was a picture that received international recognition for the acting, camera work, plotline, scripts, lyrics, music...Knowing the sadism linked to Hitler's person, does not justify calling it a "bad movie". Same goes for se7en...Besides, much also depends on how sadism in brought into the picture. Do you think that "seeing" people suffocate in gasschambers is more perverse than seeing only a German Officer looking through a small window and laughing ?
Again, as i have stated before, SAW is a movie that contains several above average qualities when it comes to the technical aspects.
Ofcourse, as always, hypocritical moral knights as yourself never had any eye for detecting good quality work.
Thanks for the cinema appreciation lesson, but I am not attacking the film. I am pointing out the errors in your very strange conclusion that the film promotes the "respect-life" principle, and also that the killer made the one girl appreciate that life is precious.
NO I AM NOT.
You should know by now why i give this answer.
Yeah, you're backpedaling frantically.
I mentioned the "quotes" because it clearly demonstrates that i was referring to the killer talking, not good ol' marlon. :rolleyes:
There's nothing clear about any quotes, Marlon. When people quote someone they put quotation marks around it. If you shift to explaining anyone's perspective but your own you indicate in some way shape or form, that you're doing this. To suddenly shift to someone else's perspective without doing this would just be extremely weird.