Scalar Shifts and Polynomial Equivalence in Linear Operators

In summary: Those should be minus signs, and then it's clear.In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of the minimal and characteristic polynomials of a matrix T and its translation T-k, where k is a scalar. The argument is based on the minimality of the degree of the minimal polynomial, but this fails for the characteristic polynomial. The definition of characteristic polynomial is given as f_T(x) = (x-\lambda_1)^{d_1}...(x-\lambda_r)^{d_r}, where d_i represents the dimension of the generalized eigenspace corresponding to the eigenvalue \lambda_i. The discussion also touches on the relationship between eigenvalues and eigenvectors of T and T+kI. Ultimately, it is concluded
Treadstone 71
"Let [tex]m_T(x), f_T(x)[/tex] denote the minimal and characteristic polynomials of T, respectively. Let k be a scalar. Show that

[tex]m_{T-k}(x) = m_T(x+k)[/tex] and [tex]f_{T-k}(x)=f_T(x+k)[/tex]."

I was able to show that the minimal polynomials were the same. But my argument was based on the minimality of the degree of m_T and it fails for characteristic polynomials.

Physics news on Phys.org
fT-kI(x) = det((T-kI) - xI) = det(T - (x+k)I) = fT(x+k), n'est ce pas?

I don't know. You tell me. We haven't defined what a determinant is.

I'm curious how you define characteristic polynomial, then. AFAIK, most texts do it in terms of the determinant.

(Incidentally, it turns out that the determinant is the constant term of the characteristic polynomial)

Suppose [tex]d_i[/tex] is the dimension of the eigenspace corresponding to [tex]\lambda_i[/tex], then the characteristic polynomial, denoted [tex]f_T(x)[/tex], is:

[tex]f_T(x)=(x-\lambda_1)^{d_1}...(x-\lambda_r)^{d_r}[/tex].

Of course the two definitions must be equal, however since we haven't 'seen' the other one, I'm supposing that I can't use this equivalence to solve the problem.

That cannot be the definition of characteristic polynomial. The characteristic poly of an nxn matrix is a deg n poly. There is nothing that asserts that the number of eigenvalues of a matrix counted with multiplicity is n.

Eg. the 2x2 matrix with row 1 (1,1) and row 2 (0,1) has characteristic polynomial (x-1)^2, and minimal poly (x-1)^2 too, yet the dimension of the 1-eigenspace is 1.

Well I gave what I have here. I think it would work out if we replaced d with [tex]d_i = \dim null (T-\lambda_i I)^{dim V}[/tex].

What are the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of T + kI?

If e is an eigenvalue of T, then e-k is an eigenvalue of T+kI.

That doesn't look right. What if T = 0 and k = 1?

I think you're assuming the underlying field to be closed, and I think you intend the [itex]d_i[/itex] to be the dimensions of the generalized eigenspaces corresponding to [itex]\lambda _i[/itex], which is equal to what you've said in post 7.

Treadstone 71 said:
If e is an eigenvalue of T, then e-k is an eigenvalue of T+kI.

If v is an eigenvector of T with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex] then
(T+ kI)v= Tv+ kIv= [itex]\lambda v+ kv[/itex]=[itex](\lambda+ k)v[/itex].
You have a sign wrong.

Related to Scalar Shifts and Polynomial Equivalence in Linear Operators

1. What is a characteristic polynomial?

A characteristic polynomial is a polynomial equation that is associated with a square matrix. It is used to find the eigenvalues of a matrix, which are important for understanding the behavior and properties of the matrix.

2. How do you find the characteristic polynomial of a matrix?

To find the characteristic polynomial of a matrix, you first need to find the determinant of the matrix. Then, you subtract the identity matrix multiplied by the eigenvalue from the original matrix. This will give you a new matrix, and the determinant of this new matrix will be the characteristic polynomial.

3. What is the significance of the characteristic polynomial?

The characteristic polynomial is significant because it helps us find the eigenvalues of a matrix. Eigenvalues are important for understanding the behavior of a matrix, such as its stability, convergence, and divergence. They are also used in many applications, such as in physics and engineering.

4. Can the characteristic polynomial have complex roots?

Yes, the characteristic polynomial can have complex roots. This can happen when the matrix has complex eigenvalues. In this case, the characteristic polynomial will have complex coefficients, and the roots will be complex numbers.

5. How is the characteristic polynomial related to the characteristic equation?

The characteristic polynomial and the characteristic equation are closely related. The characteristic polynomial is the equation formed by setting the determinant of the matrix equal to 0, while the characteristic equation is the equation formed by setting the eigenvalue equal to 0. In other words, the characteristic polynomial is the expanded form of the characteristic equation.