Scalar triple product and abstract vector space

In summary, the linear combination of non-coplanar and non-orthogonal coordinate axes representing a point x can be derived using the scalar triple product. This product calculates the volume of the parallelepiped formed by the three vectors involved. The notation [0,a] represents a line segment from 0 to point a, which is equivalent to vector a. The notation [a,b,c] is the standard notation for scalar triple product, which can be written as [a,b,c] = a · (b x c). The scalar triple product can be positive or negative, indicating positive or negative orientation in relation to the two vectors involved. The determinant of three vectors, which is a (3 x 3) determinant, is the sum
PcumP_Ravenclaw
Dear all,
Can anyone please explain how the linear combination of non-coplanar and non-orthogonal coordinate axes representing a point x as shown below is derived. Please use the reference text attached in this post to explain to me as i will find it a bit relevant. I want to know how it is derived using the scalar triple product and to get an understanding of what a scalar triple product does to three vectors apart from it calculating the volume of the parrellelepiped formed from the three vectors.

##
x = \dfrac{[x,b,c]}{[a,b,c]} a + \dfrac{[a,x,c]}{[a,b,c]} b + \dfrac{[a,b,x]}{[a,b,c]} c
##

I know that you can just add up the the magnitudes in the directions of the axes a,b and c to locate a point x. but how did the magnitudes in the direction a,b and c come to be

## \dfrac{[x,b,c]}{[a,b,c]} , \dfrac{[a,x,c]}{[a,b,c]} and \dfrac{[a,b,x]}{[a,b,c]} ##

Danke...

Attachments

• Untitled (2).jpg
    Untitled (2).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 655
Mathematics news on Phys.org
PcumP_Ravenclaw said:
Dear all,
Can anyone please explain how the linear combination of non-coplanar and non-orthogonal coordinate axes representing a point x as shown below is derived. Please use the reference text attached in this post to explain to me as i will find it a bit relevant. I want to know how it is derived using the scalar triple product and to get an understanding of what a scalar triple product does to three vectors apart from it calculating the volume of the parrellelepiped formed from the three vectors.

##
x = \dfrac{[x,b,c]}{[a,b,c]} a + \dfrac{[a,x,c]}{[a,b,c]} b + \dfrac{[a,b,x]}{[a,b,c]} c
##

I know that you can just add up the the magnitudes in the directions of the axes a,b and c to locate a point x. but how did the magnitudes in the direction a,b and c come to be

## \dfrac{[x,b,c]}{[a,b,c]} , \dfrac{[a,x,c]}{[a,b,c]} and \dfrac{[a,b,x]}{[a,b,c]} ##

Danke...
There is some context missing here. What does the notation [0, a] mean? What does the notation [a, b, c] mean?

Also, in the text you provided, it says "not necessarily orthogonal," which is different from non-orthogonal as you wrote.

[0,a] stands for line segment formed from 0 to point a. It is just vector a. [a,b,c] is the standard notation for scalar triple product. ## [a,b,c] = a \cdot (b \times c) ##

The assumption is that ##\vec{x}## can be written as a linear combination of ##\vec{a}, \vec{b}, \text{and } \vec{c}##; that is, ##\vec{x} = \lambda \vec{a} + \mu \vec{b} + \nu \vec{c}##. ([0, a] seems like clumsy notation for ##\vec{a}##, IMO.)

I would start by using the determinant definition of the scalar triple product on this:
$$\frac{[x, b, c]}{[a, b, c]}$$
and using the assumption I listed above.

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
Hey Mark44,

I just finished reading section 4.6 about orientation and determinants in the same book, Basically, the scalar triple product ## [x, b, c] ## is the (3 x 3) determinant of three vectors. It can be positive or negative denoting positive or negative orientation in either side of the two vectors. (by the way, when we say two vectors are positively or negatively orientated when taken their determinant we mean that the vector product of the two vectors has a particular direction (in either side of the plane of the two vectors) and a magnitude. What does it mean when the determinant of 3 vectors which gives a scalar value which is positive or negative based on scalar triple product definition? ). Determinant is the sum of product of the 3 elements from 3 different vectors including the sign of the permutation.

Can you form the connection between the vector cross product of 2 vectors and a (2 x 2) determinant and the scalar triple product and a (3 x 3) determinant?

Danke...

1. What is the scalar triple product?

The scalar triple product is a mathematical operation that takes three vectors and produces a scalar value. It is calculated by taking the dot product of one vector with the cross product of the other two vectors.

2. How is the scalar triple product calculated?

The scalar triple product can be calculated by taking the dot product of one vector with the cross product of the other two vectors. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the determinant formula (|a X b . c|) where a, b, and c are vectors.

3. What is the significance of the scalar triple product?

The scalar triple product is important in physics and engineering, particularly in mechanics and electromagnetism. It is used to calculate quantities such as torque and work done, and can also be used to determine whether three vectors are coplanar.

4. Can the scalar triple product be negative?

Yes, the scalar triple product can be negative. This occurs when the three vectors form a left-handed coordinate system, meaning that the cross product of two vectors points in the opposite direction to the third vector.

5. How is the scalar triple product related to abstract vector spaces?

The scalar triple product is a concept that can be applied in any three-dimensional vector space, including abstract vector spaces. It follows the same rules and properties as in Euclidean space, making it a useful tool in higher level mathematics and theoretical physics.