Scale Factor & ##\Omega##: Finding the Relation

However, make sure to include the Hubble constant (H0) in your calculations to get accurate values for Ω. In summary, to plot the scale factor and density parameter correctly, use the relation Ω = Ωo * a^(-3n) with n = (2/3) * (1 + (w*H0^2)/(ρc)) and include the Hubble constant (H0) in your calculations.
AHSAN MUJTABA
Homework Statement
I have to plot density parameters of radiation, matter and vacuum with initial or current values ##1*10^-4, 0.3,0.7## respectively against ##log(a(t))## with values a=##10^-35 to 10^35## in any plotting software.
Relevant Equations
1)##\rho_i=\rho_io *a^{-n}_i## (density evolves as power law) where n_i=3,4,0 for matter, radiation and vacuum respectively.
2) Friedmann equation(first kind)
3) Space time and geometry by Sean Caroll
I am trying to develop a relation between scale factor (a(t)) and ##\Omega##. The relation came out to be evolve as ##\Omega_i=\Omega_io * a^{-n}## but my graph isn't right it's giving values of ##a(t)## to higher extent.
I consulted my instructor he only added that I should include ##H_o## somewhere.
I am confused about which relation I should get to plot these in a right way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The relation between the scale factor and the density parameter (Ω) is given by: Ω = Ωo * a^(-3n),where Ωo is the present-day density parameter, a is the scale factor, and n is the equation of state parameter. The equation of state is related to the Hubble parameter H0 through the following expression: n = (2/3) * (1 + (w*H0^2)/(ρc))where w is the equation of state parameter, ρc is the critical density, and H0 is the Hubble constant. Therefore, the relation between the scale factor and the density parameter can be written as: Ω = Ωo * a^(-3(2/3)*(1 + (w*H0^2)/(ρc)))This relation allows you to plot the scale factor (a(t)) against the density parameter (Ω).

What is a scale factor?

A scale factor is a number that scales, or multiplies, some quantity. It is commonly used in geometry to represent the relationship between two similar figures. The scale factor is the ratio of any two corresponding lengths in the two figures.

How is scale factor used in finding the relation between two quantities?

In order to find the relation between two quantities, we can use the scale factor to compare the two quantities. This allows us to see how much one quantity is larger or smaller than the other. By finding the scale factor, we can determine the relationship between the two quantities, such as if one is double the other or half the other.

What is the symbol for scale factor?

The symbol for scale factor is the lowercase letter "k". This is commonly used in mathematical equations to represent the scale factor.

How is scale factor related to similarity?

Scale factor is closely related to similarity in geometry. Similar figures have the same shape, but different sizes. The scale factor is the ratio of any two corresponding lengths in similar figures. This means that if we multiply all the lengths of one figure by the scale factor, we will get the corresponding lengths of the other figure.

What is the relationship between scale factor and ##\Omega##?

The symbol ##\Omega## represents the angular frequency in physics and engineering. The relationship between scale factor and ##\Omega## is that they both involve ratios and can be used to compare quantities. However, they have different units and are used for different purposes. Scale factor is used to compare lengths, while ##\Omega## is used to measure the rate of change of an oscillating system.