Scale factor from Friedmann's equations

In summary, by using the second Friedmann Equation and setting ##a^3## as a constant, the equation for the scale factor can be simplified to ##\ddot a = \frac{C}{a^3}##, which can be solved to show that ##a\propto t^{1/2}##. However, this method is not legitimate as setting ##a^3## as a constant changes the nature of the equation. A more accurate solution technique is to multiply both sides by ##\dot a## and integrate, which gives the original first order differential equation.
TheMercury79
If we take a flat universe dominated by radiation, the scale factor is ##a(t)=t^{1/2}##
which can be derived from the first Friedmann Equation:$$(\dot a/a)^2 = \frac{8\pi G}{3c^2}\varepsilon(t)-\frac{kc^2}{R_0^2 a(t)^2}$$

But suppose I want to show this using the second Friedmann Equation
(Also known as the acceleration eqauation)$$\ddot a / a = -\frac{4\pi G}{3c^2}\varepsilon(1+ 3w)$$

Solving this second order differential equation can be tedious, but I've come up with a way for which I am unsure whether it is allowed, though it does lead to the same result.

Starting with ##w=\frac{1}{3}## for a radiation dominant universe, and the fact that the energy density in such a universe is related to scale factor by ##\varepsilon_r(t) = \varepsilon_0 / a^4##, the acceleration equation can be rewritten as follows:$$\ddot a a^3 = -\frac{8\pi G}{3c^2}\varepsilon_0 = const.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(1)$$

Like I mentioned this can be hard to solve if we consider ##a(t)^3##, the scale factor as a function of time. However, since this is evalutated at a specific time, is it possible to set ##a^3## as constant because it makes evertything a whole lot easier? So that:$$\ddot a = \frac{C}{a^3}$$

And integrating both sides twice with respect to ##t## then gives ##a = \frac{Ct^2}{2a^3} ==> a^4 = \frac{C}{2}t^2##
Thus ##a\propto t^{1/2}##

Also we can drop the constant ##\frac{C}{2}##as it will be absorbed by other constants and now we have ##a(t) = t^{1/2}##

But as my question was from the beginning; Is this legitimate?
Another thing I don't like is the constant ##C## which is the constant ##-\frac{8\pi G}{3c^2}\varepsilon_0## from eq. ##(1)##
The minus sign in the constant is bothering to me. It is one thing to have it in the acceleration equation, but this minus sign evidently ends up in the expression for scale factor. Because we have ##a^4\propto t^2##, so the proportionality constant can't be negative

Space news on Phys.org
TheMercury79 said:
$$\ddot a a^3 = -\frac{8\pi G}{3c^2}\varepsilon_0 = const.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(1)$$

Like I mentioned this can be hard to solve if we consider ##a(t)^3##, the scale factor as a function of time. However, since this is evalutated at a specific time, is it possible to set ##a^3## as constant because it makes evertything a whole lot easier?

No. If you evaluat ##a## at a specific time, then ##\ddot a## should be evaluated at the same time, and (1) no longer is a differential equation.

I haven't checked to see if (1) is correct. If it is, since ##t## does not appear explicitly in (1), a standard solution technique is to set ##p = da/dt##. Then
$$ \frac{d^2 a}{dt^2} = \frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{dp}{da} \frac{da}{dt} = \frac{dp}{da} p .$$

Likes TheMercury79
TheMercury79 said:
Is this legitimate?
No. You integrated 1/a^2 as if it was constant and then concluded that a depends on t.

What you need to do is to multiply with ##\dot a## on both sides and integrate. This should give you back the firat order differential equation you have already solved.

Last edited:
Likes TheMercury79
I mean, it should not come as a surprise that the second equation gives you the first upon integration if they are to describe the same universe ...

Orodruin said:
I mean, it should not come as a surprise that the second equation gives you the first upon integration if they are to describe the same universe ...

No it didn't. The text we use showed how if you differentiate the first you get the second. I guess the intstructions threw me off a bit. "Use the second equation directly" it said, it sounded so definite, like that's what you have to work with, nothing else. Anyway thanks. Will try and see what happens with George's method as well.

(I might also add that I knew I was off by treating a as constant, but they did it in the textbook in a previous chapter that dealt with redshift and distance, they integrated time and treated a as constant, so I thought maybe it would work here as well)

TheMercury79 said:
but they did it in the textbook in a previous chapter that dealt with redshift and distance, they integrated time and treated a as constant, so I thought maybe it would work here as well
I somehow doubt that. Can you give a more specific reference than ”the textbook”?

The OP is talking about the derivatiion of the ##1 + z = 1/a(t_e)##. In that integral we are taking ##a(t_e)## or ##a(t_0)## as constants because the time between two wave crests is too small, hence we can take then out.

In this problem we are solving for a general time.

Last edited:
Likes TheMercury79
TheMercury79 said:
¨$$\ddot{a}=Ca^{-3}$$
At this point you can assume that ##a(t) ∝ t^q## where ##q## is just a number.

So we have

¨$$\ddot{a} = q(q-1) t^{q-2}$$
$$a^{-3} = t^{-3q}$$

hence
$$q (q-1)t^{q-2} = Ct^{-3q}$$

##q - 2 = -3q ##
##q = 1/2##
so
##a(t) ∝t^{1/2}##

Likes TheMercury79

What is the scale factor in Friedmann's equations?

The scale factor in Friedmann's equations is a mathematical representation of the expansion or contraction of the universe over time. It is denoted by the symbol "a" and is used to calculate the distance between any two points in the universe at different times.

How is the scale factor related to the expansion of the universe?

The scale factor is directly proportional to the expansion of the universe. As the scale factor increases, the distance between objects in the universe also increases, indicating that the universe is expanding. Similarly, a decrease in the scale factor would indicate a contraction of the universe.

What is the significance of the scale factor in cosmology?

The scale factor is a crucial component in understanding the evolution and dynamics of the universe. It helps us to determine the age and size of the universe, as well as the rate of expansion. It also plays a significant role in the formation and evolution of galaxies and other cosmic structures.

How is the scale factor calculated in Friedmann's equations?

The scale factor is calculated using the Friedmann equations, which are a set of equations that describe the evolution of the universe. These equations take into account various factors such as the energy content of the universe and its curvature to determine the value of the scale factor at different times.

What is the relationship between the scale factor and the Hubble parameter?

The Hubble parameter, denoted by the symbol "H", is directly related to the scale factor. It is defined as the rate at which the scale factor changes with time. In other words, the Hubble parameter determines the expansion rate of the universe, and thus, it is closely related to the scale factor in Friedmann's equations.