Scaling Rotational Inertia - from Model to Full Size

In summary, when scaling an object by a factor (f), the volume and mass will be multiplied by f^3. However, when calculating the moment of inertia, all dimensions must be scaled, resulting in the moment of inertia being multiplied by f^5. This applies to all objects made from the same material.
hitspace

Homework Statement

If we multiply all the design dimensions of an object by a scaling factor (f), its volume and mass will be multiplied by f^3. a) By what factor will its moment of inertia be multiplied? b) IF a 1/48 scale model has rotational kinetic energy of 2.5 Joules, what will be the kinetic energy for the full-scale object of the same material rotating at the same angular velocity?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 (I) w^2
I_Disk = (1/2) M (r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Wasn't really sure how to approach this problem as my understanding of moment of inertia, is that it changes according to the dimensions of an object. I decided to try this problem anyway assuming a solid disk spun about the central axis. I attempted part b) wherein I set up the equations as follows

if 2.5 = .5 [ .5 (M)r^2 ] w^2
then .5 [ .5 (48M)(48r)^2 ] w^2 = 48^3 {.5 [ .5 (M)r^2 ] w^2 }
I got the answer 2.5 * 48^3 = 2.76 E6 Joules.

My solutions manual says I should have multiplied by 48^5 instead of to the third power.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about how the mass scales. Does the density of the material change?

Likes hitspace
Do you mean in the sense that if I played around with some numbers for example..

D= M/V

M = D(l^3) then an object 48x the dimensions would be D(48L)^3 = 48^3 M?

If I plug it back into the equation I see how I would then get (48^5)(2.5J).

Am I on the right track with this line of thinking?

hitspace said:
Do you mean in the sense that if I played around with some numbers for example..

D= M/V

M = D(l^3) then an object 48x the dimensions would be D(48L)^3 = 48^3 M?

If I plug it back into the equation I see how I would then get (48^5)(2.5J).

Am I on the right track with this line of thinking?
Right. If the scaled objects are made from the same material then the density of the material remains the same. So if the overall volume changes by some factor (the cube of the scaling factor) then the mass changes by the same factor.

Likes hitspace
Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help. The solutions manual says this is the right answer, but I am curious. How would this work on an object with different dimensions for moment of inertia. This whole process we went through to solve this problem seems unique to this particular moment of inertia equation I_Disk = .5(M)(r)^2

All moments of inertia boil down to a mass multiplied by a distance squared. For the same material, mass scales as the cube of the linear dimensions. So for a real object where all the linear dimensions scale at the same time and by the same amount, the moment of inertia (and related properties) will scale as the fifth power of the scale factor.

The only time you need to worry is when only certain dimensions are scaled. For example, if some object is made out of a thin sheet of steel and the scaled version is just a larger version cut from the same sheet material, then only two of the three dimensions are scaling and you need to go back to the derivations to see what dimensions actually scale in the moment of inertia.

Likes hitspace
Thank you! That makes excellent sense.

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is determined by the mass of the object and the distribution of that mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How does rotational inertia change with scale?

Rotational inertia increases with scale. This means that a larger object will have a greater rotational inertia than a smaller object with the same shape and mass distribution.

3. How can I calculate the rotational inertia of a model?

The rotational inertia of a model can be calculated by using the formula I = m x r^2, where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass.

4. Why is it important to consider rotational inertia when scaling models to full size?

Considering rotational inertia when scaling models to full size is important because it affects the performance and stability of the object. If the rotational inertia is not properly scaled, the object may not behave as expected and could potentially be dangerous.

5. Are there any limitations to scaling rotational inertia from model to full size?

Yes, there are limitations to scaling rotational inertia from model to full size. These include factors such as material properties, structural design, and external forces that may affect the object's rotational motion. It is important to consider these limitations when scaling a model to full size.