Scanning Tunnelling Microscope

In summary, the tunnelling current increases by 50% when the tip is moved laterally to a new position on the surface.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

The tip of a scanning tunnelling microscope is placed 1.0 nm away from a conducting surface and a potential of dV = 0.03 V is applied to the surface relative to the tip. When the tip is moved laterally to a new position on the surface the tunnelling current increases by 50%. What is the change in the tip to surface distance (in nm)? The work function of the tip and the surface are both 4.0 eV.
(a) –0.15 (b) 0.0 (c) +0.15 (d) –0.02 (e) +0.02

Homework Equations

Tunnelling probability P

P ~ exp(-2αx)

and

α = { (2me(ϕ-dV))^0.5 } / (h-bar)

I calculate α to be 1.025 x 10^10 which is correct.

Then I use :

|Below is x sub 2, and x sub 1|

P2 / P1 = exp(-2αx2) / exp(-2αx1)

1.5 below is due to 50% in question.

1.5 = exp(2αdx)
log(1.5) = 2αdx
dx = 2.0 x 10^-11
dx = 0.02nm

So answer (e).

However, the solution is given as answer (d).

So either there is a problem in the signs I have attributed to the powers in the exp terms when calculating P2/P1. Or the given solution is incorrect and I have the correct answer.

Was wondering if anyone could clarify?

Thank you.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ZedCar said:
P ~ exp(-2αx)

P2 / P1 = exp(-2αx2) / exp(-2αx1)

1.5 = exp(2αdx)

dx = 0.02nm

Note that you've defined dx to be equal to x1 - x2 according to the expressions above. But the "change in x" would normally be defined as (xfinal-xinitial) = x2 - x1

An increase in tunneling probability corresponds to a decrease in tip-to-surface distance x.

TSny said:
Note that you've defined dx to be equal to x1 - x2 according to the expressions above. But the "change in x" would normally be defined as (xfinal-xinitial) = x2 - x1

An increase in tunneling probability corresponds to a decrease in tip-to-surface distance x.

Thanks very much TSny!

I see where I was going wrong now!

1. What is a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope (STM)?

A Scanning Tunnelling Microscope (STM) is a scientific instrument used to study the surface of materials at an atomic level. It uses a sharp tip to scan the surface of a sample and measures the flow of electrons between the tip and the sample, creating an image of the surface.

2. How does a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope work?

A Scanning Tunnelling Microscope works by bringing a conducting tip very close to the surface of a sample. A small voltage is applied between the tip and the sample, causing a flow of electrons. The tip is then moved across the surface, and the strength of the electron flow is measured at each point, creating a topographic image of the surface.

3. What are the advantages of using a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope?

One of the main advantages of using a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope is its ability to image materials at the atomic level. It can provide high-resolution images of surfaces, allowing scientists to study the arrangement of atoms and molecules. It is also a non-destructive technique, meaning the sample is not damaged during imaging.

4. What are the limitations of a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope?

One limitation of a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope is that it can only be used on conducting or semiconducting materials. It also requires a very clean and stable sample surface, as any contaminants or vibrations can affect the accuracy of the imaging. The tip of the microscope also needs to be extremely sharp, which can be difficult to achieve and maintain.

5. What are the practical applications of a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope?

A Scanning Tunnelling Microscope has many practical applications in various fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and surface chemistry. It can be used to study the structure and properties of materials at the atomic level, aiding in the development of new materials and technologies. It also has applications in fields such as medicine, where it can be used to study biological samples at a nanoscale level.