Scanning Tunneling Microscope

In summary, a Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM) is a scientific instrument used to image and manipulate matter at the atomic and molecular level. It works by scanning a sharp metal tip over the surface of a sample and detecting the electric current that flows between the tip and the sample due to quantum tunneling. The STM has a wide range of applications, including studying atomic and molecular structures, analyzing surface defects and chemical reactions, and manipulating individual atoms and molecules to create nanostructures. Its advantages include high resolution and versatility in different environments, while its limitations include its dependence on conducting materials and inability to study non-conductive materials or internal structures of materials.
lostinyou7

Homework Statement

A scanning tunneling microscope (STM) can precisely determine the depths of surface features because the current through its tip is very sensitive to differences in the width of the gap between the tip and the sample surface. Assume that in this direction the electron wave function falls off exponentially with a decay length of 0.108 nm - that is with C=9.26 nm-1. Determine the ratio of the current when the STM tip is 0.489 nm above a surface feature to the current when the tip is 0.512 nm above the surface.

Homework Equations

Probability = e^(-2w/n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed neta(n) was constant regardless of how far it was from the surface.
From there, I equated to two probability equations for the first and second distance.

Let P = probability

P1 = e^(-2*0.489/n)
ln P1 = (-2*0.489)/n
n*(ln P1) = (-2*0.489)

P2 = e^(-2*0.512/n)
ln P2 = (-2*0.512)/n
n = (-2*0.489) / (ln P2)

(-2*0.489)(ln P1) / (ln P2) = (-2*0.489)
(0.489)(ln P1) = (0.489)(ln P2)

Now I'm not too sure where to go from here or if my approach is even correct.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified. Firstly, the equation you are using for probability is incorrect. The correct equation is P = e^(-2w/lambda), where lambda is the decay length. Also, neta(n) is not constant, it is a function of distance from the surface and is given by neta(n) = e^(-2w/n).

With this in mind, we can proceed with the solution. Let's call the ratio of the currents I1/I2. We can express this ratio as:

I1/I2 = (neta(n1)/neta(n2))^2

where n1 is the distance of 0.489 nm and n2 is the distance of 0.512 nm.

Substituting in the values for neta(n1) and neta(n2) and using the correct equation for probability, we get:

I1/I2 = (e^(-2*0.489/0.108)/e^(-2*0.512/0.108))^2

Simplifying this, we get:

I1/I2 = (e^-9.056/e^-9.481)^2

= (0.0001/0.00007)^2

= 1.6327

Therefore, the ratio of the currents is approximately 1.6327. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is a Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM)?

A Scanning Tunneling Microscope is a scientific instrument used to image and manipulate matter at the atomic and molecular level. It works by scanning a sharp metal tip over the surface of a sample and detecting the electric current that flows between the tip and the sample due to quantum tunneling.

2. How does a Scanning Tunneling Microscope work?

The STM works by using a sharp metal tip, typically made of tungsten, that is brought very close to the surface of a conducting material. A small voltage is applied between the tip and the sample, resulting in a flow of electrons or a tunneling current. The tip is scanned over the surface of the sample, and the variations in the tunneling current are used to create an image of the surface.

3. What are the main applications of Scanning Tunneling Microscopes?

STM has a wide range of applications, including studying the atomic and molecular structures of materials, analyzing surface defects and chemical reactions, and manipulating individual atoms and molecules to create nanostructures. It is also used in fields such as materials science, biology, and nanotechnology.

4. What are the advantages of using a Scanning Tunneling Microscope?

One of the main advantages of STM is its ability to image and manipulate matter at the atomic level. It provides extremely high resolution, allowing scientists to see individual atoms and molecules on a surface. It also operates in various environments, such as vacuum, ambient air, and liquids, making it versatile for different types of samples and experiments.

5. What are the limitations of Scanning Tunneling Microscopes?

One limitation of STM is that it can only be used on conducting materials, as the tunneling current depends on the conductivity of the sample. This means that it cannot be used to study non-conductive materials, such as plastics or biological samples. Additionally, the tip of the STM can wear down over time, requiring frequent replacement. Finally, STM can only provide surface information, so it cannot be used to study the internal structure of materials.