Which Lower Tier Universities Should I Consider for EE PhD Programs?

In summary, the individual is applying to grad school in EE with a degree in engineering physics and is interested in the applied physics aspects of EE such as quantum electronics, nanotech, and electromagnetics. They have already applied to five universities and are looking for more options, preferably from lower tier universities. The individual has a 4.0 GPA, has taken graduate courses in computational science, and has completed two research projects in physics. They are a US citizen and are of Hispanic descent. They do not want to live in the southeast and need funding for their studies. Suggestions for potential universities include University of Michigan, University of Texas Austin, Purdue, University of Minnesota, Arizona State University, and University of Wisconsin Madison, all with strong device
davidbenari
I'm applying to grad school (PhD) in EE. My degree is in engineering physics so I want to work on the parts of EE that would also be called applied physics. So things like quantum electronics, nanotech and electromagnetics.

I have already started applying to: UIUC, Cornell, USC, BU, GTECH. That's 5 so far. I think I need more options... I want my next options to be from lower tier universities.

A little a bit about my background.
- I have a 4.0 GPA, have taken 2 graduate courses on computational science, have done 2 research projects in physics, will get 3 good recommendation letters.
-I come from a mexican university, but I did an exchange program at a good university in the US which is where 'll be getting rec letters and where I did research projects and took graduate courses.
-I am a US citizen.
-I do not want to live in the southeast (Kentucky, Tennessee, N/S Carolina, Florida, etc.) .
-I need funding, I can't pay for school and do not want to get a loan.
-I'm Hispanic (admissions committees consider that nowadays).

Where should I apply to now? Given my background.

How many do you recommend applying to?

Thanks and if you need more info, please ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
University of Michigan, University of Texas Austin, Purdue, University of Minnesota, Arizona State University, and University of Wisconsin Madison all have strong device physics groups. Also consider Harvard SEAS.

Likes davidbenari
Crass_Oscillator said:
University of Michigan, University of Texas Austin, Purdue, University of Minnesota, Arizona State University, and University of Wisconsin Madison all have strong device physics groups. Also consider Harvard SEAS.
Im looking for colleges lower in rank from the ones i mentioned. I want to aim lower. Do you also have any ideas for this?

Thanks.

I think ASU is the lowest ranked of the bunch, and it is still quite excellent. In particular, they are strong in solar and computational electronics (i.e. if you want to do theory/simulations).

Likes davidbenari
davidbenari said:
I have already started applying to: UIUC, Cornell, USC, BU, GTECH.
-I do not want to live in the southeast (Kentucky, Tennessee, N/S Carolina, Florida, etc.) .
Uh... last time I looked, Georgia Tech was in the southeast. Is there another GTECH that has slipped my mind? :oldconfused:

Likes davidbenari
Also, NC state is another school of lesser renown that is exceptionally good. Do you have a special reason for wanting to avoid the Southeast?

If it's political, bear in mind that the campuses tend to be located in more cosmopolitan areas.

jtbell said:
Uh... last time I looked, Georgia Tech was in the southeast. Is there another GTECH that has slipped my mind? :oldconfused:

I know its in the southeast, but its a good enough school that I will apply nonetheless.

Crass_Oscillator said:
Also, NC state is another school of lesser renown that is exceptionally good. Do you have a special reason for wanting to avoid the Southeast?

If it's political, bear in mind that the campuses tend to be located in more cosmopolitan areas.
It is for political reasons. Personally I've never had problems with racism in the US, but I've never been to the southeast and they tell me its pretty bad. I'll be living 5ish years there and don't want to be bothered by it. Plus, it's one of the worst times to be a Mexican in the US. I would be going to the worst place at the worst time.

1. What are the admission requirements for schools offering EE graduate programs?

Admission requirements vary by school, but typically include a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose.

2. How long does it take to complete an EE graduate program?

The length of an EE graduate program varies depending on whether you pursue a master's or doctoral degree. A master's program typically takes 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral program can take anywhere from 4-6 years.

3. Are there any specific areas of specialization within EE graduate programs?

Yes, there are many areas of specialization within EE graduate programs, including but not limited to: power systems engineering, telecommunications, computer engineering, control systems, and microelectronics.

4. What is the average cost of attending an EE graduate program?

The cost of attending an EE graduate program varies by school and location. On average, tuition and fees for a master's program can range from $20,000 to $50,000 per year, while a doctoral program can cost upwards of $50,000 per year.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for EE graduate students?

Yes, many schools and organizations offer scholarships and financial aid for EE graduate students. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.