Schools for studying the Casimir Effect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of studying the Casimir Effect and ways to approach finding a suitable school for this topic. The main suggestion is to search for published papers and active researchers in the field, as well as considering professors at the current university who may have knowledge in related fields. It is noted that the theoretical aspects of the Casimir Effect may not have much recent activity, but there is ongoing work in numerical calculations. The article "Casimir Effect: Theory and Experiment" is suggested as a resource for further understanding.
gildomar
What would be a good school/s for studying the Casimir Effect at?

Physics news on Phys.org
Impossible to answer. This is one lecture in one course on QM, and it is impossible to know in advance who will be teaching that course.

Do you want study theoretical aspects of the Casimir effect, of do you want to join a research group that does experimental Casimir effect physics?

Is this for graduate school?

I'd do a google scholar search for published papers relating to the Casimir effect, read the papers, create a short list of active researchers in the field, and see where they teach at.

George Jones said:
Do you want study theoretical aspects of the Casimir effect, of do you want to join a research group that does experimental Casimir effect physics?

I'm interested in the theoretical aspects, but also being mindful of how easy it is to test those ideas.

jtbell said:
Is this for graduate school?

Yeah, sorry about not clarifying that, but I'm asking within the context of pursing it for graduate study.

Dr. Courtney said:
I'd do a google scholar search for published papers relating to the Casimir effect, read the papers, create a short list of active researchers in the field, and see where they teach at.

I had started by looking at the authors of some books about it, but wasn't able to readily narrow it down. Part of the reason that I asked was to see if people had an idea off the top of their head for various places.

I second Dr. Courtney's suggestion to look at current or recent papers on the topic. Also, if any professors at your current university work in a more or less "nearby" field, they might at least be acquainted with work on the Casimir effect and be able to suggest people or schools to investigate.

gildomar said:
I'm interested in the theoretical aspects

This is going to be an issue. The last important work on this was Jaffe's, in 2005. One important paper every twelve years is not exactly a hotbed of activity. Indeed, the activity that is going on today is largely numeric: calculating with non-ideal shapes and materials. Most of the theory was worked out a half-century ago.

You might want to look at the article "Casimir Effect: Theory and Experiment" (pdf on right):

https://arxiv.org/abs/1112.1301

I have no idea how mainstream or complete it is, but I think that does illustrate what Vanadium 50 wrote Are you interested in doing these types of calculations?

1. What is the Casimir Effect?

The Casimir Effect is a physical phenomenon that occurs when two uncharged parallel plates are placed very close to each other in a vacuum. The plates, due to their proximity, create a quantum mechanical fluctuation which results in a force between them.

2. How are schools studying the Casimir Effect?

Schools studying the Casimir Effect have specialized physics departments or research groups that focus on quantum mechanics and theoretical physics. These schools often have well-equipped laboratories and collaborate with other institutions to conduct experiments and further our understanding of the Casimir Effect.

3. What is the significance of studying the Casimir Effect?

Studying the Casimir Effect has great implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the nature of empty space. It also has potential applications in areas such as nanotechnology, where the Casimir force can be harnessed for manipulating small objects.

4. Can the Casimir Effect be observed in everyday life?

The Casimir Effect is only noticeable at very small distances, typically on the nanoscale. Therefore, it is not something that can be easily observed in everyday life. However, it has been observed and measured in laboratory experiments.

5. What are some current research areas in the study of the Casimir Effect?

Some current research areas in the study of the Casimir Effect include its potential applications in nanotechnology, its connection to the Higgs field and the search for new forms of energy, and its role in understanding the behavior of quantum particles in curved spacetime.