Schutz - A First Course in GR - Simple Summation Question

In summary: So a confusion could arise if you wanted to use the definition of matrix multiplication but wrote it in a way that is inconsistent with that definition.
CFDFEAGURU
Hello all,

In the book "A First Course in General Relativity" by Schutz (1985 Edition) in chapter 2 there is a problem concerning summation that has me confused.

Note: This is not homework, just an interest of mine.

The given quantities are:

A = (5,0,-1,-6)
B = (0,-2,4,0)

C = [ 1 0 2 3
5 -2 -2 0
4 5 2 -2
-1 -2 -2 0 ]

Find:

A (super alpha) * C (sub alpha, beta); for all beta.

As usual, I apologize for not using LaTex but I can never get it to work right.

My attempt.

The only sum is on alpha because it is the only repeated upper and lower index. I should end up with a set of 4 numbers.

I followed the example given on page 41 of the book and applied it to this problem, but I got all 4 numbers wrong.

For the first value I calculated:

(1)*(5) + (0)*(0) + (2)*(-1) + (3)*(-6) = -15

The answer is given as (7, 1, 26, 17).

Any help on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Matrix multiplication is defined by [itex](AB)_{ij}=A_{ik}B_{kj}[/itex] (when we write all indices downstairs), so what you're supposed to calculate is [itex]AC[/itex], not [itex]CA^T[/itex].

Thanks Fredrik,

I know that I am supposed to calculate AC, but I keep getting the wrong values. In the example given in the book, Schutz simply multiplies each row of the matrix (C) with the column vector (A) and then sums the values. Very easy and straightforward. What am I doing different that is causing me to calculate the wrong values.

... not CA^T .

What would make you think that I am trying to calculate A transposed times C?

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
Hello all,

In the book "A First Course in General Relativity" by Schutz (1985 Edition) in chapter 2 there is a problem concerning summation that has me confused.

Note: This is not homework, just an interest of mine.

The given quantities are:

A = (5,0,-1,-6)
B = (0,-2,4,0)

C = [ 1 0 2 3
5 -2 -2 0
4 5 2 -2
-1 -2 -2 0 ]

Find:

A (super alpha) * C (sub alpha, beta); for all beta.

As usual, I apologize for not using LaTex but I can never get it to work right.

My attempt.

The only sum is on alpha because it is the only repeated upper and lower index. I should end up with a set of 4 numbers.

I followed the example given on page 41 of the book and applied it to this problem, but I got all 4 numbers wrong.

For the first value I calculated:

(1)*(5) + (0)*(0) + (2)*(-1) + (3)*(-6) = -15

The answer is given as (7, 1, 26, 17).

Any help on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

You are approaching as follows for [tex]\beta=1:[/tex]

[tex]T_{\beta}=C_{\alpha\beta}A^{\alpha},[/tex]

Or in the matrix notation,

[tex]T=CA=\left[ \begin {array}{cccc} 1&0&2&3\\ \noalign{\medskip}5&-2&-2&0
\\ \noalign{\medskip}4&5&2&-2\\ \noalign{\medskip}-1&-2&-2&0
\end {array} \right]\left[ \begin {array}{c} 5\\ \noalign{\medskip}0\\ \noalign{\medskip}
-1\\ \noalign{\medskip}-6\end {array} \right]
.[/tex]

Now decompose the matrix C into four row vectors and select the first one from the left side and lablel it [tex]\beta=1.[/tex] This will give [tex]T_1[/tex] as

[tex]T_1=(1)(5) + (0)(0) + (2)(-1) + (3)(-6) = -15.[/tex]

This is wrong, because in [tex]C_{\alpha\beta}[/tex], [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] represent, respectively, the row and column number so that [tex]C_{\alpha1}[/tex], would be a column vector, while you choose the row vector to have the matrix relation hold. While this sounds correct that the matrix representation gives the result as yours, but in tensor notation we are encountering number-by-number, i.e. component-by-component, multiplication not vector-by-vector multiplication!

AB

Thanks Altabeh, I understand that I am doing something wrong. Could you please show how the first value of 7 is obtained?

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
Thanks Altabeh, I understand that I am doing something wrong. Could you please show how the first value of 7 is obtained?

Thanks
Matt

...so that, [tex]C_{\alpha1}[/tex] would be a column vector...

This means that

[tex]C_{\alpha1}=\left[ \begin {array}{c} 1\\ \noalign{\medskip}5\\ \noalign{\medskip}
4\\ \noalign{\medskip}-1\end {array} \right].[/tex]

Multiplying each component by the corresponding component of the vector A gives

[tex]T_1=(1)(5)+(5)(0)+(4)(-1)+(-1)(-6)=7.[/tex]

Do a similar calculation to get other components of the vector T.

AB

The version on Google Books has [itex]C_{31}=-1[/itex] and [itex]C_{32}=-3[/itex] (excercise 2.9, 1), rather than [itex]-2[/itex] and [itex]-2[/itex].

Yes, you are correct. I do have the wrong values :redface:

Thanks a lot for the help. I didn't realize in the example problem you would get the same answer using the column as you would using the row.

Now it all makes sense.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Now I know why Fredrik thought I was calculating the tranpose of CA

Matt

I guess this is a little late, but if A is a 4×1 matrix, what we get from the definition of matrix multiplication is

[tex](CA^T)_i=C_{ij}A^T_j=C_{ij}A_j[/tex]

and

[tex](AC)_i=A_jC_{ji}[/tex]

1. What is "Schutz - A First Course in GR"?

"Schutz - A First Course in GR" is a textbook written by Bernard Schutz that serves as an introductory course on General Relativity (GR). It covers the basic concepts and mathematical foundations of GR and is commonly used in undergraduate and graduate courses for students studying physics or astronomy.

2. What is General Relativity (GR)?

General Relativity (GR) is a theory of gravity that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy. It is one of the major pillars of modern physics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.

3. What is the purpose of "Schutz - A First Course in GR"?

The purpose of "Schutz - A First Course in GR" is to provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the principles and mathematics of GR. It is designed for students with a background in calculus and physics and aims to help them develop a strong understanding of the theory before moving on to more advanced topics in GR.

4. What is a "Simple Summation Question" in "Schutz - A First Course in GR"?

A "Simple Summation Question" is a specific type of exercise found in the textbook that asks students to calculate the sum of a given set of numbers or mathematical expressions. These questions are designed to test the student's understanding of the mathematical concepts and equations covered in the chapter.

5. Is "Schutz - A First Course in GR" suitable for self-study?

While it is recommended to use "Schutz - A First Course in GR" as a textbook in a classroom setting, it can also be used for self-study. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and physics before attempting to study GR on your own. Additionally, it is recommended to seek guidance from a professor or tutor if you encounter any difficulties during your self-study.