How Does Battery Configuration Affect DC Motor Speed?

In summary, a 6th grade student is trying to build a DC motor for a science fair project and is wondering if placing batteries in parallel or series will make it run faster. They are also looking for an equation to explain what is happening. An expert advises that it will depend on the voltage required to drive the motor and the voltage of the batteries and suggests studying basic electricity before proceeding. Too much voltage can cause the motor to burn out, so a balance of series and parallel is needed. The student plans to experiment with different battery setups to find the optimal one.
Brandon02

Homework Statement

Hello, I am a 6th grade student trying to build a DC motor for the science fair. My hypothesis is that the dc motor will run faster if I place batteries in parallel versus batteries in a series. Is there an equation i can look at to explain what is happening? the mootr will be like the one found on youtube built by howtolou. thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

voltage constant = (V-IR)/rpm?

Physics news on Phys.org
It will depend on the voltage required to drive the motor and the voltage of the batteries. For example, if it takes 20 volts to drive a particular motor, you can put a million 1.5 volt batteries in parallel and they will not run the motor. Sounds like you should study a bit of basic electricity before going any further.

It's a good project but without knowing a bit more of the basics you might find it overly frustrating.

Thank you Phinds
I understand a parallel set up will not increase the volts but a series will. Maybe my project should be about increasing voltage only. But if I make a dc motor like the one on Internet, why can't I just add enough battery to make it run and then experiment with more batteries added in a series?
Brandon

Brandon02 said:
Thank you Phinds
I understand a parallel set up will not increase the volts but a series will. Maybe my project should be about increasing voltage only. But if I make a dc motor like the one on Internet, why can't I just add enough battery to make it run and then experiment with more batteries added in a series?
Brandon

Too MUCH voltage is worse than too little. Too little just means it won't run. Too much means it will burn out (or the batteries will). The right voltage and not enough current won't work either. You need a happy balance of series AND parallel to get the right voltage with sufficient current capability. If the batteries are big enough (enough current capability) for the motor in the first place then series will do. You need to know what the motor specs are and what the battery specs are.

Hello, as a scientist, I am happy to assist you with your science fair project. First, let's address your hypothesis. Your hypothesis is that placing batteries in parallel will make the DC motor run faster than placing them in series. This is a great hypothesis to test, and it shows that you understand the concept of voltage and current in a circuit.

To explain what is happening, we can use the equation for voltage in a circuit, which is V = IR. V represents voltage, I represents current, and R represents resistance. In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among all the components, so each battery will only be providing a portion of the total voltage. This can limit the motor's speed. In a parallel circuit, each battery provides the same voltage, which can result in a higher total voltage and potentially a faster motor speed.

To further understand the relationship between voltage, current, and RPM (revolutions per minute), we can also use the equation P = VI, where P represents power. This equation shows that the power of a motor is directly proportional to the voltage and current. So, if you increase the voltage, you can increase the power and potentially the RPM of the motor.

As for the specific equation you mentioned, it seems like it may be a variation of the standard DC motor equation, which is V = kω, where V is the applied voltage, k is a constant, and ω is the angular velocity of the motor. This equation shows that the voltage applied to the motor is directly proportional to its speed.

I hope this helps you understand the science behind your project and provides some equations for you to explore further. Remember to always test and record your results to support your hypothesis. Good luck with your science fair project!

1. How do I choose the right DC motor for my science fair project?

The first step in choosing the right DC motor for your project is to determine the requirements of your project, such as the voltage, speed, torque, and power needed. You can then use these requirements to select a motor with the appropriate specifications, such as RPM, voltage range, and current draw. It is also important to consider the size and weight of the motor to ensure it will fit in your project.

2. What is the difference between brushed and brushless DC motors?

Brushed DC motors use a physical commutator and brushes to switch the direction of the current flow in the coils, while brushless DC motors use electronic commutation to switch the current. Brushed motors are simpler and less expensive, but brushless motors have higher efficiency, longer lifespan, and better control. For most science fair projects, a brushed DC motor will suffice.

3. How can I control the speed of my DC motor?

There are several ways to control the speed of a DC motor, such as using a variable power supply, a motor controller, or a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal. A variable power supply allows you to manually adjust the voltage to the motor, while a motor controller uses electronic circuits to regulate the speed. A PWM signal sends a series of pulses to the motor, which can be adjusted to change the speed.

4. Can I use batteries to power my DC motor?

Yes, you can use batteries to power your DC motor, but it is important to choose the right type and voltage for your motor. Most DC motors have a preferred operating voltage range, and using a higher or lower voltage can affect its performance. It is also important to consider the capacity of the battery and how long it will last before needing to be recharged or replaced.

5. How can I make my DC motor more efficient?

To improve the efficiency of your DC motor, you can reduce friction by using bearings and lubricants, optimize the gear ratio to match the load, and minimize the resistance in the electrical circuit. You can also consider using a brushless DC motor, which has inherently higher efficiency. However, keep in mind that higher efficiency often comes at a higher cost.