Scottish Humor: A Collection of Jokes

In summary, the conversation discusses a Scottish drink called Buckfast, which is popular among a subculture called 'neds'. 'Ned culture' is often portrayed in comedy sketches and Buckfast is their preferred choice of cheap alcohol. The English equivalent is 'chav'. The conversation also includes a pun that some might not understand without prior knowledge of the topic.
Raven Luni
You probably have to be Scottish to get this one:

buckyball.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
and what is it that a Scottish person would "get" ?

Buckfast (a wine tonic brewed by monks) is the drink of choice for the 'ned' subculture (a term originally coined by police to mean 'non-educated delinquent'). 'Ned culture' is so prominent that it not only is is it a massive stereotype, but also features in many comedy sketches. 'Bucky' plays a central role being their preferred choice of cheap booze.

The english equivalent is 'chav'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_(Scottish)

Right. Still missing the pun.

I got it right away and I'm not even Scottish.

I don't get it.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "How can they limit to just one pun each day?"

Now I see how... :tongue2:

I don't get it but perhaps the pun is contained in this little song:
What do ye get when ye drink the wine?
A ten pound fine an'a year's probation,
A kick in the baws at the polis station.
AWWWwwwww, never drink the wine again!
AWWWwwwww, never drink the wine again!

I guess it's something football hooligans sing.

Any pun that requires this much discussion is not a good pun :smile:

Yeah, I had to google a bit to make any sense out of it and I could still be wrong. Some would say any pun is not a good pun. I rather like puns though. :tongue:

1. What is the history of Scottish humor?

Scottish humor has a long history dating back to the 15th century, with some of the earliest recorded jokes being written by Scottish poets. It is also influenced by traditional Scottish storytelling and the country's rich cultural heritage.

2. Is Scottish humor different from other types of humor?

Yes, Scottish humor is known for its use of sarcasm, irony, and self-deprecation. It often relies on wordplay and clever wit, making it distinct from other types of humor.

3. What are some common themes in Scottish jokes?

Scottish jokes often poke fun at stereotypes, such as the Scottish being frugal or having a love for whiskey. They also often revolve around everyday situations and the struggles of everyday life.

4. Are there any famous Scottish comedians known for their humor?

Yes, there are several famous Scottish comedians who are known for their humor, including Billy Connolly, Frankie Boyle, and Kevin Bridges. Their stand-up routines often incorporate Scottish humor and are popular both in Scotland and internationally.

5. How has Scottish humor evolved over time?

Scottish humor has evolved alongside Scotland's changing social and political landscape. In recent years, it has become more diverse and inclusive, incorporating elements from different cultures and addressing current issues such as politics and social media.