Scratching My Head: Solving a Puzzling Problem

• Thread starter sahilmm15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to finding the total number of five-digit numbers where the middle digit is the largest and all digits are different. One method involves starting with the middle digit and working outwards, while another involves listing all possible numbers and then eliminating those that do not meet the criteria. The conversation also clarifies that a five-digit number must have five distinct digits, and not all five-digit strings are considered numbers. The topic of pushbutton locks is also briefly mentioned.
sahilmm15
Homework Statement
The total number of 5 digit numbers of different digits in which the digit in the middle is the largest is ?
Relevant Equations
N/A
I am scratching my head on the problem but cannot figure out what to do. I tried in the following way:-
For (9)
_ _ _ _ _ . The middle place is fixed means only 1 way there. For the first place 9 ways (excluding 0) , second place (9 ways again because 9 digits are left excluding 9 and 0). Third place is the middle one which is already filled, fourth place 8 ways and last place 7 ways .

So total no of digits in which the digit in the middle is largest ( in this case it is 9 ) are 9*9*1*8*7. The same method would go for other numbers. Is my method correct or am I approaching the problem incorrectly?? I cannot find the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see a list of such numbers.

After commenting on my method, Can you explain me why author has subtracted few terms in his method in the image below.

Attachments

• IMG_20201225_203247.jpg
    IMG_20201225_203247.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 109
sahilmm15 said:
After commenting on my method, Can you explain me why author has subtracted few terms in his method in the image below.
A five-digit number that starts with ##0## is only a four-digit number and doesn't count.

Likes sahilmm15
PeroK said:
A five-digit number that starts with ##0## is only a four-digit number and doesn't count.
I would interpret '5 digit numbers' to mean 'unique strings of length 5 each position of which is a decimal numeral', so that, with the 'middle digit is greatest' and 'digits are all different' constraints, the normally-lowest-sorting possibility would be 01423 and the normally-highest-sorting possibility would be 87965.

sysprog said:
I would interpret '5 digit numbers' to mean 'unique strings of length 5 each position of which is a decimal numeral', so that, with the 'middle digit is greatest' and 'digits are all different' constraints, the normally-lowest-sorting possibility would be 01423 and the normally-highest-sorting possibility would be 87965.
A number is a number and a string is a string. 01423 is a five-digit string but a four-digit number. In the same way that $$0x^2 + x + 1$$ is not a quadratic expression.

Likes Vanadium 50 and sysprog
PeroK said:
A number is a number and a string is a string. 01423 is a five-digit string but a four-digit number. In the same way that $$0x^2 + x + 1$$ is not a quadratic expression.
I was thinking of pushbutton locks that have buttons that are numerally marked 0 through 9, which locks are such that until a reset button is pressed, it doesn't matter in which order or how many times the numerally-marked buttons are pressed ##\dots##

sahilmm15 said:
... of different digits ...

For (9)
_ _ _ _ _ . The middle place is fixed means only 1 way there. For the first place 9 ways
If the middle is 9, no others can be 9.

haruspex said:
If the middle is 9, no others can be 9.
Hmm 8 ways.

1. What is the process of "scratching my head" when trying to solve a problem?

The term "scratching my head" is a metaphor for the process of deep thought and contemplation when trying to solve a puzzling problem. It involves actively engaging the brain and considering various solutions and approaches.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills requires practice and patience. It is important to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and consider different perspectives and approaches. Additionally, seeking feedback and learning from past mistakes can also help improve problem-solving abilities.

3. What are some common obstacles that can hinder problem-solving?

Some common obstacles that can hinder problem-solving include a lack of information, narrow-mindedness, and fear of failure. It is important to approach problems with an open mind and be willing to consider multiple solutions.

4. How can I stay motivated when faced with a difficult problem?

Staying motivated during challenging problem-solving requires determination and a positive mindset. Setting achievable goals, taking breaks when needed, and seeking support and encouragement from others can also help maintain motivation.

5. Can collaboration with others help solve a puzzling problem?

Collaboration with others can be beneficial in problem-solving as it allows for different perspectives and ideas to be considered. Working with a team can also help divide the workload and provide support and motivation during the problem-solving process.