Screen producing potentials when light falls on it

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a material that can produce a potential difference when light falls on it, similar to the photoelectric effect. The potential difference for different wavelengths would be different, and it is suggested that this material could have potential use in a biological application. However, it is noted that this is more of a physics question and may not be possible without using a metal.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Suppose there is a screen. This screen has been divided into a very large number of pixels. Each pixel has a material, that has the capability of producing a potential difference when light falls on it. The potential difference for different wavelengths should be different. Say, over a range of 5nm, the potential may be the same, but different for another range. For example, for light of λ = 400nm to 405nm, a certain potential is produced, but for 406nm to 410nm, a different potential is produced (the range may actually be larger, it doesn't matter till the colours can be differentiated by recording the potentials). Each pixel will get excited for any light of wavelength in the visible region, and then automatically restore back to the original condition.

Has such a material been invented? I have an idea, and for that, I need something like this. I need to know if this has already been invented.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Borek said:
This is more of a physics question than chemistry.

True, but since I'm asking for some material, I decided to put it in chemistry forum.

Borek said:
I can be missing something here but light/electricity conversion works through the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect and it doesn't behave the way you ask for.
I know about photoelectric effect, but the way I'm trying to use it, it's difficult to use any metal. I'm doing something related to biological application, and I can't use a metal there.

While photoelectric effect was first described for metals, same principles hold for other materials as well.

1. How does light affect the producing potential of a screen?

Light falling on a screen can produce a range of electrical potentials, depending on the type of screen material and the intensity and wavelength of the light. Some screens are designed to convert light energy into electrical energy, while others may absorb or reflect light without producing any electrical potential.

2. What is the relationship between light intensity and screen producing potential?

The intensity of light falling on a screen is directly proportional to the producing potential. This means that as the intensity of light increases, the producing potential also increases. However, there may be a limit to how much potential a screen can produce, even with high intensity light.

3. Can different types of light, such as visible light or UV light, have different effects on screen producing potential?

Yes, different types of light can have different effects on screen producing potential. For example, UV light is known to have a higher energy level than visible light, which can result in a higher producing potential on certain types of screens. Additionally, different screen materials may respond differently to different types of light.

4. Are there any factors that can influence the producing potential of a screen?

Yes, there are several factors that can influence the producing potential of a screen when light falls on it. These include the type of screen material, the intensity and wavelength of the light, the angle at which the light hits the screen, and any external factors such as temperature or humidity.

5. How is the producing potential of a screen measured and quantified?

The producing potential of a screen is typically measured in volts (V) or millivolts (mV). This can be done using specialized equipment such as a voltmeter or oscilloscope. The exact method of measurement may vary depending on the type of screen and the specific experiment being conducted.