SE- How to Determine Oil Temperature at Exit of Cylindrical Heat Exchanger?

In summary, the problem discussed was how to determine the temperature of oil at the exit of a cylindrical heat exchanger using known characteristics such as diameter, length, flow rates, specific heats, and transfer coefficient. The solution may involve calculating Q(oil) and dm/dt, and determining the relationship between dQ/dt and dm/dt.
Bibinou
Hello,
I have some problems in resolving this exercise.
Consider a cylindrical heat exchanger, whose you know all caracteristics (such as : inside diameter, outside diameter and its length). This exchanger is used to cool an oil phase with water.

We know the flow of water, its Cp and its temperature, moreover we also know the flow of oil, its Cp and its temperature.
We also know the global transfert coefficient K expressed in kW.m-².K-1

How can we determine the temperature of oil at the exit of the exchanger?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts about the problem at the moment?

I don't know how to begin,
perhaps by computing Q(oil)=m Cp dT but I don't know the mass of oil given that I don't know the time => I can't deduce it from the flow

Bibinou said:
I don't know how to begin,
perhaps by computing Q(oil)=m Cp dT but I don't know the mass of oil given that I don't know the time => I can't deduce it from the flow
If you know the flow rate of the oil and of the water, you know dm/dt. How does dQ/dt relate to dm/dt?

AM

Related to SE- How to Determine Oil Temperature at Exit of Cylindrical Heat Exchanger?

1. What is a cylindrical heat exchanger?

A cylindrical heat exchanger is a device used in thermal engineering to efficiently transfer heat from one medium to another. It consists of a cylindrical shell with a series of tubes running through it, allowing for the exchange of heat between two fluids or gases.

2. How does a cylindrical heat exchanger work?

A cylindrical heat exchanger works by allowing one fluid or gas to flow through the tubes inside the shell, while the other fluid or gas flows around the outside of the tubes. This creates a temperature difference between the two fluids, causing heat to transfer from the hotter fluid to the cooler one.

3. What are the advantages of using a cylindrical heat exchanger?

Cylindrical heat exchangers have several advantages, including a compact design, high heat transfer efficiency, and the ability to handle high pressures and temperatures. They are also relatively easy to maintain and have a long lifespan.

4. What are some common applications of cylindrical heat exchangers?

Cylindrical heat exchangers are used in a wide range of industries, including power plants, chemical processing, refrigeration, and HVAC systems. They can be used for heating, cooling, or heat recovery applications.

5. How do I choose the right cylindrical heat exchanger for my needs?

The selection of a cylindrical heat exchanger will depend on factors such as the required heat transfer rate, fluid flow rates, and operating conditions. It is important to consult with a thermal engineer or heat exchanger manufacturer to determine the most suitable type and size for your specific application.