Searching for a postdoc in physics at 40 years old

In summary,An expert summarizer of content says that between 19-25 years old, he studied industrial engineering; between 26-29 years old, he worked as an industrial engineer; between 30-32 years old, he studied a master's degree in physics (branewold models); between 33-36 years old, he worked as a lecturer of physics; and between 37-40 years old, he studied a PhD in physics (Lovelock gravity). He is going to finish the two-month PhD in two months. He has published six papers, two of which are currently being submitted for publication. He has experience in gravitation and may be able to use that experience to advantage in finding a postdoc
PeteSampras
I 'am 40 years old. I 'am from Sudamerica.

- Between my 19 and 25 years , i studied Industrial Enginer.
- Between 26 and 29 years old i worked as Industrial Enginer.
- Between 30 and 32 years old i studied a Master in Physics (branewold models). (1 publication)
-Between 33 and 36 years old i worked as lecturer of physics.
-Between 37 and 40 years old i studied a PhD in Physics (Lovelock gravity) . I am going to finish into two months. (6 publication+ 2 submitted currently)

Questions: For find a Postdoc position:

1) Does it work againts me the fact of my physics career is not continuous (between the 26-29 and 33-36 i had away from the scientific career?. Shoud i justify this fact in my CV?, or simply supressed it in the CV?

2) It is difficult to search my first PhD at 40-41 years old?. I work in gravitation mainly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, yes. There will be additional hurdles to you finding a postdoc because of your age. Regardless of what I personally think of the issue, I would say that age discrimination in postdoc searches is still a thing. It may not be the case everywhere and you may have problems putting your finger on it even in cases where it is present, but to say it did not exist I think would be blind.

You may also want to consider your future carreer path. What is the end goal? Typically it takes several postdocs to get a tenure track position and 10 years between PhD and tenure is not unreasonable (even quick). All through this process you will struggle with work security (postdocs are a couple of years, tenure tracks are tenure track, not tenure) and selection prosecces that may or may not be age biased. If you are going for a tenured position, you are looking at being at least 50 by the time you can really settle. Anyway, it is not my aim to talk you out of it, it is your choice, but I think you should be aware of what is involved.

To your specific questions:

1. You should definitely not try to hide something like this. Any selection committee can do math and if you are not open about your past it will only raise suspicion. What you were doing was in no way negative things by themselves, but worthwhile endeavors. They have left you a bit older but also with more life experience. If you can and the application requires a personal letter, you may want to think about what you can offer because you have that experience over someone who does not.

2. I assume you mean postdoc. It is always difficult to get a postdoc, regardless of age, and even harder to get tenured. I think that being a bit older may make it even harder as described above.

Likes JD_PM
Whether or not there are disadvantages to being older than average when competing for post doctoral positions is likely a moot point either way. It's not like you can change your age to put yourself into a more favourable position. And I agree that trying to hide it is likely to cause you much worse problems.

An alternative way to look at a situation like this is to think about how you can use your age and experience as an advantage.

PeteSampras said:
1) Does it work againts me the fact of my physics career is not continuous (between the 26-29 and 33-36 i had away from the scientific career?. Shoud i justify this fact in my CV?, or simply supressed it in the CV?
<<Emphasis added.>> I want to strongly emphasize: Don't hide your non-physics work. If you do, the natural questions for a professor, upon seeing this hole in your CV, would be : What are you hiding? Why are you hiding it? What else are you hiding? Try to cast your non-physics work in a positive light.

Than you to all by their comments , but

1) "Shoud i justify this fact in my CV? "

I refer to write in my CV
a) Education
PhD (2017-2020). MsC (2010-2012). Enginer (1999-2004)
Plus
Comments (as justification) - Between 2005-2009 i worked as enginer- Between 2013-2016 i worked as Lecturer of physics.
Plus
b) Works Put also here all my works (as engineer and lecturer) with its dates.

2) or simply supressed it in the CV?

I refer to one CV without comments of justification.

a) Education
PhD (2017-2020). MsC (2010-2012). Enginer (1999-2004)

b) Works Put here all my works with its dates.

it is convenient to add comments with justifications?

There may be profs out there who prefer younger post docs. So what? Most just want the best person for the job who will provide the most help for their research. If you are that candidate, your age won't matter to most.

Likes JD_PM and Vanadium 50

1. Can I still pursue a postdoc in physics at 40 years old?

Yes, absolutely! Age should not be a barrier to pursuing a postdoc in physics. Many successful postdocs in physics are in their 40s and beyond. What matters most is your passion, dedication, and qualifications.

2. Will my age affect my chances of getting a postdoc position?

While some institutions may have age limits for postdoc positions, many do not. Your age should not affect your chances as long as you have the necessary qualifications and skills for the position.

3. Are there any specific challenges for pursuing a postdoc at 40 years old?

One challenge may be that you may have different life responsibilities and commitments compared to younger postdocs. This may require good time management and flexibility. Additionally, you may face some age-related bias, but this should not discourage you from pursuing your goals.

4. How can I make my application stand out as a 40-year-old postdoc candidate?

Highlight your experience and expertise in your field, as well as any unique perspectives or skills you may have gained throughout your career. Emphasize your passion and dedication for research, and showcase any relevant publications or projects you have worked on.

5. Are there any resources or support specifically for older postdocs?

Some institutions may have programs or resources specifically for older postdocs, such as career development workshops or networking events. It may also be helpful to connect with other postdocs in similar situations for support and advice.