Searching for compressive stress of silica aerogels

In summary: You apparently want to find the compressive strength of various silica aerogels from the three point bending strength in that paper. Not possible, because they are measured differently and measure different properties.The specimen in a three point bending test typically fails in tension, in which case the test measures the tensile strength in the presence of surface defects. Compressive tests are normally not sensitive to surface defects, so compressive strength can be greater than the result of a three point bending test. This is material dependent. Steel, for example, has compressive strength close to tensile strength, while concrete has tensile strength about 8% of compressive strength.Good search terms to learn more are mechanical properties aer
lavalite
I have no formal training in any type of engineering, so if my request is confusing, I apologize.

I believe I am seeking data on the ultimate internal stress of various silica aerogels in compression mode.

I found a paper published by Dylan J. Boday where CVD of cyanoacrylates was used to reinforce the aerogels (1). A three-point compression analysis and rupture strength is discussed, but not internal stress. Is it possible to calculate the internal stress from the listed rupture strengths?

(1) Boday, D. et al.; chemistry of materials, 2008, 2009, 2847

Attachments

• Strong, Low-Density Nanocomposites by.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 130
Engineering news on Phys.org
You apparently want to find the compressive strength of various silica aerogels from the three point bending strength in that paper. Not possible, because they are measured differently and measure different properties.

The specimen in a three point bending test typically fails in tension, in which case the test measures the tensile strength in the presence of surface defects. Compressive tests are normally not sensitive to surface defects, so compressive strength can be greater than the result of a three point bending test. This is material dependent. Steel, for example, has compressive strength close to tensile strength, while concrete has tensile strength about 8% of compressive strength.

Good search terms to learn more are mechanical properties aerogel.

• Informative
Likes lavalite and berkeman
Ok thanks a lot, I appreciate your reply and help.

Likes jrmichler and berkeman
jrmichler said:
You apparently want to find the compressive strength of various silica aerogels from the three point bending strength in that paper. Not possible, because they are measured differently and measure different properties.

The specimen in a three point bending test typically fails in tension, in which case the test measures the tensile strength in the presence of surface defects. Compressive tests are normally not sensitive to surface defects, so compressive strength can be greater than the result of a three point bending test. This is material dependent. Steel, for example, has compressive strength close to tensile strength, while concrete has tensile strength about 8% of compressive strength.

Good search terms to learn more are mechanical properties aerogel.

I have attempted to use the search term that you suggested but I'm still having difficulty finding the information that I'm trying to find. I really wish I could find a chart that had information like type, density, and compressive strength. Does anybody know where I can find charts that have that information?

I'll check that out, thanks for the link Tom!

Likes berkeman
WARNING: Assumptions and approximations ahead!

The compressive strength at failure of cyanoacrylate reinforced composite silica aerogel (1) may be as high as 166,084pa at a density of 0.22g/cm^3 if;

• The sample can support 3200 times its own weight in true compression.
  • The sample is cylindrical.
  • The sample is twice as tall as its diameter.
  • The sample is 2.3 times its unreinforced mass of 0.262g.
Sadly, if this approximation is even close to correct, then this material is 60 times weaker than I'd hoped for it to be. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

(1) Boday D.J.; et al Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2009, 1365-1366

• Informative
Likes Tom.G

1. What is compressive stress?

Compressive stress is the force applied to a material that causes it to compress or decrease in volume. It is a measure of the resistance of a material to being squeezed or compacted.

2. Why is it important to study the compressive stress of silica aerogels?

Silica aerogels are highly porous materials with a low density, making them ideal for insulation and other applications. However, they are also fragile and can easily collapse under pressure. Understanding their compressive stress is crucial for designing and using them effectively.

3. How is the compressive stress of silica aerogels measured?

The compressive stress of silica aerogels can be measured using a compression test, where a force is applied to the material and the resulting deformation is recorded. The stress is then calculated by dividing the force by the cross-sectional area of the sample.

4. What factors affect the compressive stress of silica aerogels?

The compressive stress of silica aerogels can be affected by various factors, including the density and porosity of the material, the shape and size of the sample, and the rate at which the force is applied. The type and preparation of the silica aerogel can also play a role.

5. How can the compressive stress of silica aerogels be optimized?

To optimize the compressive stress of silica aerogels, researchers can experiment with different preparation methods, such as varying the drying time and temperature, to achieve a more structurally sound and stronger material. Additionally, incorporating reinforcing agents or altering the aerogel's composition can also improve its compressive stress.