Searching for the Person in the Brain [NY Times]

• Medical
  • Thread starter hypnagogue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations and potential misuses of brain imaging machines, such as MRI, in understanding the brain. While these machines have the power to see surface activity, they are not able to fully capture the complex circuits and subtle workings of the brain. The use of MRI as a lie detector has been suggested, but there are concerns about its reliability and validity.
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The catch is that, for all their power, imaging machines are like the Mars probe: they see surfaces, mountain peaks, valleys — without being able to take samples of the underlying terrain.

The regions that peak in activity when a person is happy or guilty or jealous are connected to many other areas along complex circuits distributed throughout the brain that are, for the most part, still unlit by the computerized spotlight of the imaging machine.

And it is here, in these subterranean, subtle enfoldings of the brain, that neuroscientists say they are most likely to discover its deepest secrets.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/w...e11af6a48&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

A nice cautionary tale for the layman about brain imaging.

Biology news on Phys.org
Hypnagogue, you always come up with really interesting articles. Keep up the good work. :smile:
This one caught my attention regarding the possibilities of the possible abuses of M.R.I. results. Especially by the court system. Being one of the resident neuroscientists here do you or anyone else have any opinions on the validity of the use of M.R.I.'s as lie detectors? I've heard claims done in the media saying that they can be used as lie detectors, but I'm thinking that this is a case of misguided reporting by them because M.R.I's only look a certain portion of brain activity and measure brain activity via statistics, like the article & your quote hint at. I also have heard that the court system has/ or has plans to use them in that manner, and I am not certain if it will be any more reliable that the standard "lie detector test".

While these machines have certainly revolutionized our understanding of the brain, it is important to remember that they only provide a surface view. The true complexity of the brain lies in its intricate networks and connections, which cannot be fully captured by imaging alone. As the article suggests, it is in the unlit areas of the brain that we may find the most profound insights into its workings. This serves as a reminder that while we may be able to see what areas of the brain are active during certain emotions or thoughts, there is still much more to be discovered and understood. It is a reminder to approach neuroscience with humility and continue to explore and delve deeper into the mysteries of the brain.

What is the main focus of the article?

The main focus of the article is the search for the neural basis of the self or the "person" in the brain.

What methods are being used in this search?

The article discusses various methods such as fMRI, EEG, and lesion studies to investigate the neural correlates of the self.

What are the potential implications of this research?

The research could have significant implications for our understanding of consciousness, self-awareness, and mental disorders such as schizophrenia and autism.

What are some of the key challenges in this field of study?

Some of the key challenges include the complexity of the brain, the subjective nature of self-identity, and the ethical considerations of studying the self.

What are some of the limitations of the current research?

Some limitations include the small sample sizes of studies, the difficulty of replicating results, and the lack of consensus on how to define and measure the self.

Back