Second Derivative (Implicit Differentiation)

In summary: It's still not familiar to me but I understand it somewhat. So the book's answer is -81/y^3 and mine just -81/1?Thanks. It's still not familiar to me but I understand it somewhat. So the book's answer is -81/y^3 and mine just -81/1?Yes, that is correct.
quicksilver123

Homework Statement

Find y''

Homework Equations

9x^2 +y^2 = 9

The Attempt at a Solution

y'
18x+2y(y')=0
y'=-18x/2y
y'=9x/y

For the second derivative, I get the correct answer (same as the book) up until the very last step.
Here's where I'm left at:

-9( (-9x^2 - y^2) / y^3 )

The book then takes this answer to:

y''= -9 (9/y^3) [since x and y must satisfy the original equation, 9x^2+y^2=9] Thus y''= - 81/y^3

I'm not sure how they got here as my final answer ends up something like -81x^2/y^3 -9y (probably with some sign mistakes in there but I was too distracted with the book's justification for their answer to worry about that).

Help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have a sign error somewhere. As you haven't shown your intermediate steps, I cannot say where. Only that your last equation for ##y'## is wrong. Now, why are you stuck? What is ##(-9x^2-y^2)##?

Alright I'll show my intermediate steps for the first to second derivative.

Y'=-9x/y

Y''=(-9y-(-9x)y')/y^2
Y''=-9(y+9xy')/y^2
Y''=-9(y+9x(-9x/y))/y^2
Y''=-9(y/y)(y+9x(-9x/y))/y^2
Y''=-9(y^2-81x^2)/y^3
Y''=-9y^2/y^3 -9(-81x^2)/y^3
Y''=-9/y + 9(81x^2)/y^3

Slightly different from my end answer but still no closer to the book's.
Apologies for the plaintext as I am on mobile.

I don't understand your third row. Did you pull ##-9## out of the parentheses or not? And there is still a sign error.

Likes quicksilver123
[QUOTE="quicksilver123, post: 5594654, member
Y'=-9x/y

Y''=(-9y-(-9x)y')/y^2
Y''=-9(y+xy')/y^2
Y''=-9(y+x(-9x/y))/y^2
Y''=-9(y/y)(y+x(-9x/y))/y^2
Y''=-9(y^2-9x^2)/y^3
Y''=-9y^2/y^3 -9(-9x^2)/y^3
Y''=-9/y + 81x^2/y^3

Slightly different from my end answer but still no closer to the book's.Made some corrections.

This sign error is pretty resistant. May have to do with your linear notation.
You have ##y''=(-9y-(-9x)y')/y^2## which is
$$y''=\frac{-9y-(-9x)y'}{y^2}=\frac{-9y+9xy'}{y^2}=(-9) \cdot \frac{y-xy'}{y^2}= (-9) \cdot \frac{y-(-9)\frac{x^2}{y}}{y^2}$$
$$ \quad =(-9) \cdot \frac{y+9\frac{x^2}{y}}{y^2} = (-9) \cdot \frac{y^2+9x^2}{y^3}$$

All I see in your post is "math processing error"

quicksilver123 said:
All I see in your post is "math processing error"
Hmmm, not in mine.

Sorry, I tried to upload it as an image, but it did not work.

Perhaps a repetition works.
fresh_42 said:
This sign error is pretty resistant. May have to do with your linear notation.
You have ##y''=(-9y-(-9x)y')/y^2## which is
$$y''=\frac{-9y-(-9x)y'}{y^2}=\frac{-9y+9xy'}{y^2}=(-9) \cdot \frac{y-xy'}{y^2}= (-9) \cdot \frac{y-(-9)\frac{x^2}{y}}{y^2}$$
$$ \quad =(-9) \cdot \frac{y+9\frac{x^2}{y}}{y^2} = (-9) \cdot \frac{y^2+9x^2}{y^3}$$

If not, here is the source code:

You have y''=(-9y-(-9x)y')/y^2 which is
y''=\frac{-9y-(-9x)y'}{y^2}=\frac{-9y+9xy'}{y^2}=(-9) \cdot \frac{y-xy'}{y^2}= (-9) \cdot \frac{y-(-9)\frac{x^2}{y}}{y^2}
\quad =(-9) \cdot \frac{y+9\frac{x^2}{y}}{y^2} = (-9) \cdot \frac{y^2+9x^2}{y^3}

Thanks, but it still looks nothing like the answer given in the book.. why is that?

quicksilver123 said:
Thanks, but it still looks nothing like the answer given in the book.. why is that?
Because I left out the final step where the knowledge about the value of ##9x^2 + y^2##
(9x^2 + y^2)
has to be taken into account.

By definition ##9x^2 + y^2 = 9##
So ##y'' = \dots = (-9) \cdot \frac{y^2+9x^2}{y^3}= (-9) \cdot \frac{9}{y^3}= -81 \frac{1}{y^3}##.

By definition 9x^2 + y^2 = 9.
So y'' = \dots = (-9) \cdot \frac{y^2+9x^2}{y^3}= (-9) \cdot \frac{9}{y^3}= -81 \frac{1}{y^3}.

Thanks.

1. What is the definition of second derivative in implicit differentiation?

The second derivative in implicit differentiation is the rate of change of the slope of a curve at a given point. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative with respect to the independent variable.

2. How is second derivative used in real world applications?

Second derivative is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the acceleration of objects and the rate of change of various physical quantities. It is also used in economics to analyze the rate of change of marginal cost and marginal revenue.

3. Can second derivative be negative?

Yes, second derivative can be negative. If the graph of the first derivative is decreasing, then the second derivative will be negative. This indicates that the slope of the curve is decreasing at that point, or that the curve is concave down.

4. How is second derivative related to concavity?

The second derivative is used to determine the concavity of a curve. If the second derivative is positive, then the curve is concave up. If the second derivative is negative, then the curve is concave down. A second derivative of zero indicates a point of inflection.

5. Is second derivative affected by the choice of variable in implicit differentiation?

No, the choice of variable does not affect the second derivative in implicit differentiation. As long as the first derivative is calculated correctly, the second derivative will be the same regardless of the chosen variable.