Second derivative of an autonomous function

In summary, the second derivative is incorrect due to missing a y' term and incorrect differentiation of ln(K/y). The correct answer is d^2y/dt^2 (ry')[ln(K/y) - 1].
MathewsMD
For the derivative: dy/dt = ry ln(K/y)

I am trying to solve the second derivative. It seems like an easy solution, and I did:

d^2y/dt^2 = rln(K/y)y' + ry(y/K)

which simplifies to:

d^2y/dt^2 = (ry')[ln(K/y) + 1/Kln(K/y)

Unfortunately, the answer is d^2y/dt^2 (ry')[ln(K/y) - 1] and I don't quite see where I went wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
For the derivative: dy/dt = ry ln(K/y)

I am trying to solve the second derivative. It seems like an easy solution, and I did:

d^2y/dt^2 = rln(K/y)y' + ry(y/K)

You're missing a [itex]y'[/itex] from the last term and you haven't differentiated [itex]\ln(K/y)[/itex] correctly. Since [tex]\ln(K/y) = \ln K - \ln y[/tex] we have [tex]\frac{d}{dy} (\ln(K/y)) = \frac{d}{dy} (\ln K - \ln y) = -\frac 1y.[/tex]

What is the definition of the second derivative of an autonomous function?

The second derivative of an autonomous function is the rate of change of the first derivative. It measures how the slope of the function is changing at a given point.

How is the second derivative of an autonomous function calculated?

The second derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative. This means finding the rate of change of the slope of the function.

What does the second derivative of an autonomous function tell us about the function?

The second derivative can tell us about the concavity of the function. A positive second derivative indicates a concave up shape, while a negative second derivative indicates a concave down shape.

Can the second derivative of an autonomous function be negative and positive at the same time?

No, the second derivative can only have one value at a given point. However, it can change signs at different points on the function.

How does the second derivative of an autonomous function relate to its inflection points?

The second derivative can help identify the inflection points of a function. Inflection points occur where the second derivative changes signs, indicating a change in concavity.