Separation of Variables and Integrating over an Interval

In summary: This equation allows you to find the equilibrium constant at different temperatures, given the enthalpy of the reaction and the initial and final temperatures.
Mayhem
TL;DR Summary
How integrating over an interval works for separation of variables
I was solving the van't Hoff equation over an interval ##[T_1 , T_2]##:

The van't Hoff equation

##
\frac{\mathrm{d} \ln K}{\mathrm{d} T} = \frac{\Delta_r H^{\circ}}{RT^2}
##

which can be solved with separation of variables:

##
d \ln K = \frac{\Delta_rH^\circ}{RT^2}dT
##
##\Updownarrow##
##\int_{T_1}^{T_2} d \ln K = \int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{\Delta_rH^\circ}{RT^2}dT##
##\Updownarrow##
##\int_{T_1}^{T_2} d \ln K = \frac{\Delta_rH^\circ}{R} \int_{T_1}^{T_2}\frac{1}{T^2}dT##

Here is the confusing part. Intuitively, I want to evaluate the LHS over the integral, but I can see that this doesn't exactly work as ##\ln K## isn't a value of ##T##, but rather a function of ##T##. So we would write it as:

##
\ln K_{T_2} - \ln {K_{T_1}} = -\frac{\Delta_rH^\circ}{R}\left (\frac{1}{T_2}+\frac{1}{T_1} \right )
##

This is the result that my textbook writes, to the symbol, and I am wondering how I should interpret the LHS. Does this mean that ##K_{T_1}## and ##K_{T_2}## is some value dependent on the ##T_1## and ##T_2## respectively? I understand the RHS perfectly, I'm just a little confused as to how I should interpret the LHS. Bonus question: how do we kind of generalize this for these kinds of problems, where we separate the values and integrate over an interval?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you're actually doing is this:
\begin{align*}
\frac{\mathrm{d} \ln K}{\mathrm{d} T} &= \frac{\Delta_r H^{\circ}}{RT^2} \\
\int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{\mathrm{d} \ln K}{\mathrm{d} T}\,dT &= \int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{\Delta_r H^{\circ}}{RT^2}\,dT
\end{align*} Then you're making the substitution ##\ln K = f(T)## so that ##d(\ln K) = f'(T)\,dT##. Then the LHS becomes
$$\int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{\mathrm{d} \ln K}{\mathrm{d} T}\,dT = \int_{T_1}^{T_2} f'(T)\,dT =\int_{f(T_1)}^{f(T_2)} d(\ln K).$$

Likes Mayhem
vela said:
What you're actually doing is this:
\begin{align*}
\frac{\mathrm{d} \ln K}{\mathrm{d} T} &= \frac{\Delta_r H^{\circ}}{RT^2} \\
\int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{\mathrm{d} \ln K}{\mathrm{d} T}\,dT &= \int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{\Delta_r H^{\circ}}{RT^2}\,dT
\end{align*} Then you're making the substitution ##\ln K = f(T)## so that ##d(\ln K) = f'(T)\,dT##. Then the LHS becomes
$$\int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{\mathrm{d} \ln K}{\mathrm{d} T}\,dT = \int_{T_1}^{T_2} f'(T)\,dT =\int_{f(T_1)}^{f(T_2)} d(\ln K).$$
This is chemistry, where #K# is the equilibrium constant. Conceptually I should understand this as #K_T# meaning "the equilibrium constant at a temperature T" then? Seems like a very powerful equation in that case.

Yes, that’s what it looks like.

Likes Mayhem

1. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations by separating the dependent variables into separate equations. This allows for the integration of each equation separately, making it easier to find a solution.

2. How is separation of variables used in scientific research?

Separation of variables is commonly used in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. It is particularly useful in solving partial differential equations that arise in these fields, allowing for the prediction of physical phenomena and the development of new technologies.

3. What is the process for separating variables in an equation?

The process for separating variables involves identifying the dependent and independent variables in an equation and then rearranging the equation so that all terms involving the dependent variable are on one side and all terms involving the independent variable are on the other side. This creates two separate equations that can be integrated separately.

4. How does integrating over an interval differ from regular integration?

Integrating over an interval involves finding the area under a curve within a specific range of values for the independent variable. This is different from regular integration, which involves finding the area under a curve for all possible values of the independent variable. Integrating over an interval is useful for solving problems that involve a specific range of values, such as finding the distance traveled by an object over a certain time period.

5. What are some real-world applications of separation of variables and integrating over an interval?

Some real-world applications of separation of variables and integrating over an interval include predicting the behavior of fluids in pipes, modeling the spread of diseases, and calculating the trajectory of a projectile. These techniques are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and environmental science to analyze and predict various phenomena.