Second Newton's law in rotation with pulley.

In summary: If it is making the pulley rotate more slowly, then the frictional force is opposing the motion of the pulley, and the equation for the torque is zero. If it is tending to make the pulley rotate faster, then the frictional force is not opposing the motion of the pulley, and the equation for the torque is I*(ay//r).
PhysicsKush

Homework Statement

The rope doesn't slide on the pulley, it's mass is negligible and it doesn't stretch .The pulley's moment of inertia is 0.00300 kg * m^2 with a radius of 10 cm. As the first mass goes down the rope's friction generates a moment of force of 0.150 N*m opposed to the angular speed of the pulley. Initially , both masses are motionless and m1 is at a height of 1.5m(h = 1.5m).
m1 = 1.5 kg
m2 = 0.8 kg

https://gyazo.com/074104f2af4ac27811136c21b4e1bcfb

Homework Equations

τ = r*F
τresultant = Σ(τ) = I* αz
Fresultant = ma
αz = aθ / r
-ay1 = ay2

The Attempt at a Solution

T1 = -m1ay1 + m1g
T2 = m2ay2 + m2g
-T1 + T2 - 1.5 = I*ay1
replacing the values in the last equation with the first two equations and isolating a results 3.69 m/s2

the real solution is a1 = -2.06 m/s2

Attachments

• ignore.jpg
    ignore.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
The equations used by you are valid for massless pulley. As it is given that pulley has MI, which means it has mass. So please use energy conservation to solve this problemM1 loses gravitational energy m2 gains and both m1, m2 gain translational KE and pulley gains rotational KE = 0.5*I*(v/r)^2. If magnitude of acceleartion is ay then angular acceleration of pulley = ay/r. Please give it a try.

If you wish to apply, then Tr = torque = I*(ay//r)

Let'sthink said:
If you wish to apply, then Tr = torque = I*(ay//r)
yes ,but what about the friction ?

I don't understand the information given regarding frictional moment. We are told that the rope does not slip, we know the two suspended masses, and we know the moment of inertia of the pulley. Assuming this is in Earth's surface gravity, g, there is enough information to find the torque the rope exerts on the pulley. And it will not oppose the angular speed of the pulley.
The only way I can make sense of the problem is if it should have said that the axle exerts that frictional torque opposing the rotation of the pulley.
Assuming that is what the question said, check the signs in your equation for the pulley's acceleration. Is T1 tending to make the pulley rotate faster or more slowly?

1. What is Second Newton's Law in rotation with pulley?

Second Newton's Law in rotation with pulley is a physical law that states that the net torque on an object is equal to the product of its moment of inertia and its angular acceleration.

2. How is Second Newton's Law applied to a pulley system?

In a pulley system, Second Newton's Law is applied by considering the net torque on the pulley, which is equal to the sum of the torques from all the forces acting on the pulley. This net torque is then equal to the product of the moment of inertia of the pulley and its angular acceleration.

3. What is the role of the pulley in Second Newton's Law in rotation?

The pulley acts as a mechanical advantage in Second Newton's Law in rotation. It helps to distribute the input force and change the direction of the force, allowing for easier manipulation of the object.

4. How does Second Newton's Law in rotation with pulley relate to other laws of motion?

Second Newton's Law in rotation is a specific application of Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In the case of rotation, this law is applied to the object's moment of inertia and angular acceleration instead of mass and linear acceleration.

5. What are some real-world examples of Second Newton's Law in rotation with pulley?

Some examples of Second Newton's Law in rotation with pulley include the rotation of a bicycle wheel, the spinning of a top, and the movement of a wind turbine. In each of these examples, the pulley system is used to translate an input force into circular motion, in accordance with Second Newton's Law.