Second order nonhomogeneous ODE

In summary, the problem is to find the particular solution of the differential equation y''+3y'+3.25=3cost-1.5sint. The student has already found the homogeneous solution, but is struggling with finding the particular solution. They attempt to use the given equations but are left with 4 variables and only 2 equations. Finally, they realize their mistake and solve for the values of the variables instead of the variables themselves, leading to the correct solution.
yaro99

Homework Statement

y''+3y'+3.25=3cost-1.5sint

Homework Equations

yh = e(a/2)t(Acost+Bsint)
yp = Kcos(ωt)+Msin(ωt) [when r(x)=kcos(ωt) or ksin(ωt)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the homogeneous solution, which is e-1.5t(Acost+Bsint)
but I am having trouble with the particular solution.

I tried the above equation, making yp=K1cos(ωt)+M1sin(ωt)+K2cos(ωt)+M2sin(ωt)
since there are 2 trig functions as r(t).
I couldn't solve for the variables by plugging into the original equation because I was left with 4 variables and only 2 equations.

EDIT: realized I wasn't consistent with my independent variable, made them all t's instead of t's and x's

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
K1cos(ωx) + K2cos(ωx) = (K1 + K2)cos(ωx). Having two sin/cos functions is redundant, since they are linear combinations (in this case, they are the same function, entirely).

djh101 said:
K1cos(ωx) + K2cos(ωx) = (K1 + K2)cos(ωx). Having two sin/cos functions is redundant, since they are linear combinations (in this case, they are the same function, entirely).

Ah I get it now. I solved for the values (M1+M2) and (K1+K2) instead of the variables individually and got the right answer. Thanks!

What is a second order nonhomogeneous ODE?

A second order nonhomogeneous ODE is a type of differential equation that involves a second derivative of an unknown function, as well as non-zero terms on the right side of the equation. This means that the equation is not equal to zero, unlike a homogeneous ODE.

How do you solve a second order nonhomogeneous ODE?

To solve a second order nonhomogeneous ODE, you can use techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a particular solution and a complementary solution to the equation, which can then be combined to get the general solution.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and nonhomogeneous ODE?

The main difference between a homogeneous and nonhomogeneous ODE is that a homogeneous ODE has a zero term on the right side of the equation, while a nonhomogeneous ODE has non-zero terms on the right side. This means that the solutions to a homogeneous ODE will have zero as a constant term, while the solutions to a nonhomogeneous ODE will have a non-zero constant term.

What are some real-world applications of second order nonhomogeneous ODEs?

Second order nonhomogeneous ODEs have many real-world applications, such as in physics to model the motion of a mass on a spring or a pendulum. They are also used in engineering to analyze the behavior of electric circuits and in economics to model population growth.

Can a second order nonhomogeneous ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a second order nonhomogeneous ODE can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution to a nonhomogeneous ODE can be a combination of a particular solution and the complementary solution, which can have multiple forms depending on the initial conditions of the equation.