Second order ODE for RLC circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kirchhoff's voltage rule to solve for the roots of a circuit consisting of a capacitor, inductor, and resistor. The characteristic equation is used to obtain the roots, where m is equal to [-R/L +/- sqrt((r/l2) - 4(1)(1/LC))]/2. The goal is to find an equation that incorporates both decaying exponentials and sinusoids to demonstrate the energy of the circuit decreasing over time. However, the equation for the charge on the capacitor as a function of time depends on the values of R, C, and L. The link provided also mentions the characteristic equation not directly leading to the desired damped charge motion, as it depends
icesalmon
if I consider a circuit consisting of a capacitor, an inductor and a resistor and using kirchhoffs voltage rule for the circuit i come up with the following

L(Q''(t)) + R(Q'(t)) + (Q(t))/C = 0 I solve for the roots using a characteristic equation of the form
LM2 +MR +(1/C) = 0
solving this for m I obtain
m = [-R/L +/- sqrt((r/l2) - 4(1)(1/LC))]/2
i'm expecting an equation using both decaying exponentials and sinusoids so that the energy will tend towards zero after a long time. But this depends on the values of R, C and L. I'm having trouble moving forward from this point in deriving the equation for the charge on the capacitor as a function of time.
Q(t) = Ae-Btcos(w't+θ)
B = R/2L

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
so obviously the characteristic equation doesn't directly lead to that damped charge motion then, it depends on the discriminant. I thought I was SUPPOSED to get the decaying exponential out of it. Anyways, thanks.

Related to Second order ODE for RLC circuit

1. What is a second order ODE for RLC circuit?

A second order ODE (ordinary differential equation) for RLC circuit is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of an electrical circuit consisting of a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C). It is used to model the voltage and current in the circuit over time.

2. How is a second order ODE for RLC circuit derived?

The second order ODE for RLC circuit is derived using Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero and the sum of currents entering and leaving a node must also equal zero. By applying these laws to the RLC circuit, a differential equation can be formed and solved to determine the behavior of the circuit.

3. What are the solutions to a second order ODE for RLC circuit?

The solutions to a second order ODE for RLC circuit can be classified into three types: overdamped, underdamped, and critically damped. Overdamped solutions exhibit a slow decay in voltage and current, underdamped solutions exhibit oscillatory behavior, and critically damped solutions are a balance between the two.

4. How is a second order ODE for RLC circuit used in practical applications?

The second order ODE for RLC circuit is used in practical applications such as designing and analyzing electronic circuits, particularly in the fields of telecommunications, power systems, and control systems. It can also be used to predict the behavior of RLC circuits in response to different input signals and to troubleshoot and diagnose problems in circuits.

5. What are the limitations of a second order ODE for RLC circuit?

The second order ODE for RLC circuit assumes ideal conditions, such as negligible resistance in the conductive elements and no external interference. In reality, these conditions may not hold true, which can affect the accuracy of the model. Additionally, the second order ODE may not be suitable for more complex circuits that cannot be simplified into the RLC model.