Second Order ODE - Variation of Parameters

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution of a differential equation and using variation of parameters to solve it. The general solution is given by y = c1e^(-2t) + c2te^(-2t). The conversation also mentions the use of the Wronskian, with one of the solutions being incorrect due to not using the product rule.
tracedinair

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the following diff. eqn.

y''(t) + 4y'(t) + 4y(t) = t^(-2)*e^(-2t) where t>0

Homework Equations

General soln - Φgeneral(t) + Φparticular(t)

Wronskian - Φ1(t)Φ22'(t) - Φ2(t)Φ1'(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm solving by variation of parameters.

First solving for the general solution, y'' + 4y' + 4y = 0

r2 + 4r + 4 which factors into (r+2)(r+2), so r = -2, -2.

So the gen solution is y = c11e^(-2t) + c2e^(-2t)

Now solving for the particular solution.

Φ1 and Φ2= e^(-2t)

The Wronskian here ends up being 2e^(-4t) - 2e^(-4t) which equals zero.

What went wrong here? I know the Wronskian cannot equal zero here. This is where I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, two seconds after I posted this I realize what I did wrong. Φ2 is equal to te^(-2t). Not e^(-2t). But that still equals zero haha.

Edit again: I didn't use product rule. That was the problem.

Last edited:

Related to Second Order ODE - Variation of Parameters

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its second derivative. It can be written in the form of y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x), where p(x) and q(x) are functions of x and g(x) is a function of x. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

2. What is the variation of parameters method?

The variation of parameters method is a technique used to solve second order differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution by assuming that it is a linear combination of two linearly independent solutions to the corresponding homogeneous equation. The coefficients of these solutions are then determined using the variation of parameters formula.

3. When is the variation of parameters method used?

The variation of parameters method is used when the coefficients in the differential equation are not constant. It is also used when the method of undetermined coefficients cannot be applied, such as when the right-hand side of the equation is a polynomial of higher degree or contains trigonometric or exponential functions.

4. What are the advantages of using the variation of parameters method?

The variation of parameters method allows for the solution of a wider range of second order differential equations compared to other methods. It also does not require the use of initial or boundary conditions, making it more versatile and flexible. Additionally, it can be used to find particular solutions for non-homogeneous systems of differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to the variation of parameters method?

One limitation of the variation of parameters method is that it can be more time-consuming and complex compared to other methods, particularly when the coefficients in the differential equation are functions of x. It also may not be applicable in some cases, such as when the differential equation is non-linear or when the coefficients are not continuous functions of x.