Second Quantization: Explaining Creation/Annihilation Operator Transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quantum field operators in second quantization and the difference in rigor between the transformation of creation/annihilation operators in real space and momentum space. The question asks for clarification on the authors' use of notation and the validity of the general expression for creation operators. The response clarifies that creation and annihilation operators can be defined for any state and can be related through a change of basis.
Niles
Hi

I have a question regarding second quantization. In the following link: http://books.google.dk/books?id=v5v...q="The introduction of quantum field"&f=false (equation 1.71) they write the kinetic energy operator in real space representation, i.e. using quantum field operators. Here they rigourously transform the creation/annihilation operators using equation 1.69 the page before.

Now, if we take a look at equation 1.101 on page 24, they write the potential energy operator V in momentum space, but notice how they do not make the same rigourous transformation of the creation/annihilation operators, but merely substitute ν with k in equation (1.62) in their indices.

My question is, why they do not make that rigourous transformation in the case with k, but only change the indices of the operators. Can you shed some light on this?

I will appreciate any help you can give me.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't mean to be rude, but I thought this was a pretty general question. No one knows this?

Niles said:
Hi

I have a question regarding second quantization. In the following link: http://books.google.dk/books?id=v5v...q="The introduction of quantum field"&f=false (equation 1.71) they write the kinetic energy operator in real space representation, i.e. using quantum field operators. Here they rigourously transform the creation/annihilation operators using equation 1.69 the page before.

Now, if we take a look at equation 1.101 on page 24, they write the potential energy operator V in momentum space, but notice how they do not make the same rigourous transformation of the creation/annihilation operators, but merely substitute ν with k in equation (1.62) in their indices.

My question is, why they do not make that rigourous transformation in the case with k, but only change the indices of the operators. Can you shed some light on this?

I will appreciate any help you can give me.

Niles.

the equation 1.62 you are referring to is missing in the google book version of that text

I'm afraid I don't really understand your question. They're basically showing what an operator looks like in second quantization. You can choose a basis for the creation/annihilation operators with respect to the momentum basis or the position basis. Any basis will do -- they're always related through some unitary transformation.

So what rigorous treatment are you referring to?

Hmm, let me refraise my question then: The operators ak1 and ak2 and their Hermitian conjugates in equation (1.103), are they given by (from equation (1.69))

[tex]
a_k = \sum\limits_\upsilon {\left\langle {k|\psi _\upsilon } \right\rangle ^* a_\upsilon }
[/tex]

?

Act on the vacuum: [tex]

a_k |0\rangle = \sum\limits_\upsilon {\left\langle {k|\psi _\upsilon } \right\rangle ^* a_\upsilon } |0\rangle = \sum\limits_\upsilon \langle {k|\psi _\upsilon } \rangle^* |\psi _\upsilon \rangle = | k \rangle.

[/tex]

fzero said:
Act on the vacuum:

[tex]

a_k |0\rangle = \sum\limits_\upsilon {\left\langle {k|\psi _\upsilon } \right\rangle ^* a_\upsilon } |0\rangle = \sum\limits_\upsilon \langle {k|\psi _\upsilon } \rangle^* |\psi _\upsilon \rangle = | k \rangle.

[/tex]

I think you are missing a dagger. But in my post right before I wasn't doubting the validity of the general expression

[tex]

a_k = \sum\limits_\upsilon {\left\langle {k|\psi _\upsilon } \right\rangle ^* a_\upsilon }

[/tex]

but if the authors of the book mean the above when they simply write ak.

Niles said:
I think you are missing a dagger.

You're correct, I am.

But in my post right before I wasn't doubting the validity of the general expression

[tex]

[/tex]

but if the authors of the book mean the above when they simply write ak.

No, you can define creation and annihilation operators for any state. [tex]a^\dagger_\upsilon[/tex] creates a particle in the state [tex]|\psi_\upsilon\rangle[/tex]. Completely independently we can define [tex]a^\dagger_{\mathbf{k}}[/tex] to create a particle in the state [tex]|\mathbf{k}\rangle[/tex]. However we can use an appropriate change of basis states to relate the creation operators and the relationship will be precisely of the form of the equation that you're asking about.

Great, thanks to all of you.Niles.

1. What is Second Quantization?

Second Quantization is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of a large number of identical particles, such as electrons in a solid or photons in a laser beam. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and allows for the description of particles as quanta, or discrete units of energy.

2. What is the significance of the creation/annihilation operator transformation in Second Quantization?

The creation/annihilation operator transformation is an important tool in Second Quantization that allows us to describe the behavior of particles in terms of creation and annihilation operators, which represent the addition or removal of a particle from a quantum state. This transformation simplifies the mathematical description of particles and allows for the application of various mathematical techniques to solve complex problems.

3. How does Second Quantization differ from First Quantization?

First Quantization, also known as wave mechanics, describes the behavior of individual particles as waves. It is suitable for describing systems with a small number of particles, but becomes mathematically complex when applied to systems with a large number of particles. Second Quantization, on the other hand, treats particles as discrete entities and is better suited for describing systems with a large number of particles.

4. How is the Second Quantization formalism used in different areas of physics?

The Second Quantization formalism is widely used in various areas of physics, including condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and quantum field theory. It is used to study the behavior of particles in different systems, such as electrons in a crystal lattice, nucleons in a nucleus, and particles in a quantum field. It also allows for the prediction and understanding of various physical phenomena, such as superconductivity and superfluidity.

5. Are there any limitations to Second Quantization?

While Second Quantization is a powerful mathematical tool, it has some limitations. It cannot be used to describe systems with strong interactions between particles, such as in nuclear physics. It also does not take into account the effects of relativity, which are important in high-energy physics. Additionally, it is a non-relativistic theory and cannot be applied to particles moving at speeds close to the speed of light.