Second quantization particle current

In summary, the conversation discusses the well-known expression for charge current, which involves an integral sign and a charge density operator. The author of the article refers to this as a current density, but it is more commonly known as a flux. The conversation also touches on the concept of integrating out the r-dependence and the use of volume integrals. The conversation ends with a discussion of how global vector quantities are not well-defined in curved space.
daudaudaudau
Hi. I'm reading an article which writes the following

"... and the well-known expression for the charge current is"
[tex]
j=-\frac{ie}{m}\int dr\psi^\dagger (r)[\nabla-ieA(r)]\psi(r)
[/tex]

Why does it have an integral sign? And when you define it this way, you integrate out the r-dependence, don't you?

Physics news on Phys.org
daudaudaudau said:
Hi. I'm reading an article which writes the following

"... and the well-known expression for the charge current is"
[tex]
j=-\frac{ie}{m}\int dr\psi^\dagger (r)[\nabla-ieA(r)]\psi(r)
[/tex]

Why does it have an integral sign? And when you define it this way, you integrate out the r-dependence, don't you?
Strange.

I guess it's not the el.-mag current from QED which does not contain A but carries a four-vector index. Instead it seems to be the probability current for the ordinary Schrödinger equation (with a vector potential) for a particle with mass m. But even in that case there is no integral

I've attached a picture from the particular part of the article (Thermal transport for many-body tight-binding models by Vanderbilt and King-Smith).

Attachments

• current.png
    current.png
    15 KB · Views: 607
OK

The author decided to call the integral a current (referring to the integrand as the current density).

But still he is taking a volume integral of a charge density operator. What is this?

daudaudaudau said:
But still he is taking a volume integral of a charge density operator. What is this?
For any extensive physical quantity Q, you can say that it is equal to the volume integral of the DENSITY of Q.

But when would you ever take the volume integral of the current density? The current density is a vector, and it has units A/m^2. What you would normally do is integrate it over a surface to get the current through the surface.

Probably he had something like
[tex]
j(r')=-\frac{ie}{2m}\int dr\psi^\dagger (r) \{\nabla_{r'}-ieA(r'),\delta(r-r')\}\psi(r)
[/tex]
in mind.

daudaudaudau said:
But when would you ever take the volume integral of the current density? The current density is a vector, and it has units A/m^2. What you would normally do is integrate it over a surface to get the current through the surface.
Assume that you have a fluid, each part of which has some momentum density. How would you calculate the momentum of the fluid as a whole?

Demystifier said:
Assume that you have a fluid, each part of which has some momentum density. How would you calculate the momentum of the fluid as a whole?

Yes that sounds sensible, I have just never heard of currents defined in this way before. What should I google to find out more about this?

daudaudaudau said:
Yes that sounds sensible, I have just never heard of currents defined in this way before. What should I google to find out more about this?
I think you are right that such global vector quantities are usually not CALLED currents, so googling probably would not help.

In fact, in curved space the integral of a vector field is not even well defined. In other words, in curved space you can associate a vector to a point, but you cannot associate a vector to a whole region of space.

daudaudaudau said:
What you would normally do is integrate it over a surface to get the current through the surface.
Actually, normally you would obtain a FLUX, which is a scalar, not a vector. See also my post above.

1. What is second quantization particle current?

Second quantization particle current is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the flow of particles in a system, taking into account the quantum nature of particles. It involves representing the particles as quantum fields and using operators to describe their interactions and movements.

2. Why is second quantization particle current important in physics?

Second quantization particle current is important in physics because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is used in many areas of physics, including condensed matter, particle physics, and quantum field theory.

3. How is second quantization particle current different from classical particle current?

Second quantization particle current differs from classical particle current in that it takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and the uncertainty principle. In classical mechanics, particles are treated as distinct and well-defined objects, while in quantum mechanics, they are described as probability waves that can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

4. What is the mathematical representation of second quantization particle current?

In second quantization, particle current is represented using quantum field operators, such as creation and annihilation operators, which describe the creation and destruction of particles. The current is then calculated using these operators and their corresponding equations of motion.

5. How does second quantization particle current relate to other concepts in quantum mechanics?

Second quantization particle current is closely related to other concepts in quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and the quantum field theory. It provides a way to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and is an essential tool in many quantum mechanical calculations and theories.