Second route to a relativistic quantum theory

In summary, the paper discusses a possible way to obtain a relativistic quantum theory that does not use space as a label like time. Instead, they propose to promote time to an operator. There are some issues that need to be addressed, but the potential unboundedness of the Hamilton operator is not one of them.]
Orbb
Hey everyone,

from Srednicki's QFT textbook I've read that there has been work on the following attempt to obtain a relativistic quantum theory: instead of treating space as a label like time, promote time to an operator, such that you get 4-position and -momentum operators. Now I know that there are issues to address, the potential unboundedness of the Hamilton operator and such, but still I would be intrigued to take a look at these attempts. I did a search, but couldn't find anything. So does anybody now of some resources to point me to?

If you're interested, said passage can be found on p.10 of Srednicki's book, which can be found via google book search.

Looking forward to your responses!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not hard to include a link. :wink:

I don't have any references for you. I just want to say that these attempts seem misguided to me. I like the approach taken in some books about the more mathematical aspects of quantum theory, where "observables" are defined operationally, as equivalence classes of measuring devices, and we take one of the axioms of QM to be that the observables are represented mathematically by bounded self-adjoint operators. A "measuring device" is supposed to be a physical system that interacts with the system on which we want to perform a measurement, and the "measurement" is such an interaction. (It's an interaction that entangles the eigenstates of the operator representing the observable with macroscopically distinguishable states of the measuring device). My problem with the time-operator approach is that clocks are fundamentally different from measuring devices of the type I just described. The difference is that they don't interact with the system! How can clocks be considered an observable on the system when they don't even interact with it?

(Yes, we can of course set if up so that the clock is started and stopped when the system participates in two specific interactions, but doesn't this just define two measuring devices, each designed to detect a specific interaction, and each one represented by a self-adjoint operator?)

Now Demystifier will disagree with me. :smile:

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
My problem with the time-operator approach is that clocks are fundamentally different from measuring devices of the type I just described. The difference is that they don't interact with the system! How can clocks be considered an observable on the system when they don't even interact with it?

Fredrik,

well said. I agree with you completely.

Eugene.

Fredrik said:
My problem with the time-operator approach is that clocks are fundamentally different from measuring devices of the type I just described. The difference is that they don't interact with the system! How can clocks be considered an observable on the system when they don't even interact with it?

(Yes, we can of course set if up so that the clock is started and stopped when the system participates in two specific interactions, but doesn't this just define two measuring devices, each designed to detect a specific interaction, and each one represented by a self-adjoint operator?)

If one was interested in a quantum gravity theory, then clocks do interact... But the fact that they don't in normal QFT should not be surprising. After all, the usual formalism treating time and space as commuting numbers can be seen as equivalent to having all other operators commuting with the proposed time and space operators. It is then far easier to treat them as labels then to keep talking about them as operators.

I had the idea to promote time to an observable before I started reading Srednicki's text. I was also puzzled by his note and could not find any references.

I was thinking about the physical implications behind this and decided that clocks have to be 'quantized' somehow, but I could not define an operational definition of a clock.

This is the idea I had: Using field operators in QFT seems like the Eulerian description of the motion in continuum mechanics. The approach we should follow in the alternative formulation would be analogous to the Lagrangian description. Of course, since the concept of a trajectory has no meaning in QM, we must use some probabilistic description, but this is currently beyond me.

Orbb said:
from Srednicki's QFT textbook I've read that there has been work on the following attempt to obtain a relativistic quantum theory: instead of treating space as a label like time, promote time to an operator, such that you get 4-position and -momentum operators. Now I know that there are issues to address, the potential unboundedness of the Hamilton operator and such, but still I would be intrigued to take a look at these attempts. I did a search, but couldn't find anything. So does anybody now of some resources to point me to?
Here is an example of such an approach:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0811.1905 [Int. J. Quantum Inf. 7 (2009) 595]

Fredrik said:
Now Demystifier will disagree with me. :smile:
Am I so predictable? :smile:

meopemuk said:
Fredrik said:
Fredrik,

well said. I agree with you completely.

Eugene.
A clock may not interact with the system, but in some sense the clock is defined by the system. The clock is merely a separate proxy for the internal clock states of the system, on the assumption that the relative event rates ratios are generally consistent.

A clock itself is a system, so isn't a reading of a clock still a reading of some observable? It is just a system that we understand very well that moves very regularly.

Demystifier said:
Am I so predictable? :smile:

You're a Bohmian, so you have a certain trajectory. :wink:

Kidding aside, thanks for the excellent link.

Orbb said:
Hey everyone,

He probably meant work such as

M. C. Land, L. P. Horwitz
Off-Shell Quantum Electrodynamics
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9601021

(and much other work by Horwitz). It looks mathematically elegant, but incapable of reproducing the standard results of QED.

Related to Second route to a relativistic quantum theory

What is the "Second route to a relativistic quantum theory"?

The "Second route to a relativistic quantum theory" is an approach in theoretical physics that aims to combine the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity in a single, unified theory. It is based on the idea that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion, as proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity.

Why is it important to develop a second route to a relativistic quantum theory?

The development of a second route to a relativistic quantum theory is important because it can help us better understand the fundamental nature of the universe at both the microscopic and macroscopic levels. It can also lead to new insights and predictions that can be tested experimentally, ultimately advancing our understanding of the physical world.

What are some key concepts involved in the second route to a relativistic quantum theory?

Some key concepts involved in the second route to a relativistic quantum theory include the principles of special relativity, quantum mechanics, and the concept of wave-particle duality. Other important concepts include the idea of space-time and the role of symmetry in fundamental physical laws.

How does the second route to a relativistic quantum theory differ from other approaches?

The second route to a relativistic quantum theory differs from other approaches in that it seeks to reconcile the seemingly incompatible theories of quantum mechanics and special relativity, rather than trying to extend or modify one of them to accommodate the other. It also places a strong emphasis on mathematical consistency and symmetry, which are considered essential in a fundamental physical theory.

What are some potential implications of a successful second route to a relativistic quantum theory?

A successful second route to a relativistic quantum theory could have a wide range of implications in various fields of science and technology. It could potentially lead to new technologies and materials, improve our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe, and shed light on some of the most puzzling questions in modern physics, such as the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and the unification of all known forces in the universe.