Sedimentation Doubt: Correct Me if I'm Wrong

• Thread starter dss975599
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary, According to the conversation, if the settling velocity (vs) is greater than the overflow rate (vo), particles should be removed easily. However, the second notes state that if this condition is met, the particles remain in the tank. This is incorrect, as a larger settling velocity means that particles will accumulate at the bottom and should be easily removed.
dss975599

Homework Statement

I think the second notes is wrong . I think when the settling velocity is greater than overflow rate , then the particles should be removed easily ... However , in the second notes , the author stated that if vs > vo , the particle remained in the tank ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Correct me if i am wrong . When the vs > v0 , it means the particle settle to the bottom of the container quickly , so it can be removed easily , right ? [/B]

Attachments

• 859.PNG
    859.PNG
    54.9 KB · Views: 520
  • 860.PNG
    860.PNG
    55.7 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org
A larger vs means the particles fall down and most of them will accumulate at the bottom instead of going to the top or the side (=where the author measures the particle rate).

Likes dss975599
mfb said:
A larger vs means the particles fall down and most of them will accumulate at the bottom instead of going to the top or the side (=where the author measures the particle rate).
When the vs > v0 , it means the particle settle to the bottom of the container quickly , so it can be removed easily , right ?

so , the The author stated that if vs > vo , the particle remained in the tank ... is WRONG

?

Related to Sedimentation Doubt: Correct Me if I'm Wrong

1. What is sedimentation doubt?

Sedimentation doubt is a phenomenon in science where the accuracy or validity of previously established theories or evidence is called into question. It occurs when new evidence or conflicting information emerges, leading to a reevaluation of existing beliefs or hypotheses.

2. Why is sedimentation doubt important in the scientific community?

Sedimentation doubt is important because it encourages critical thinking and the constant reexamination of scientific knowledge. It allows for the advancement of new ideas and theories, leading to a deeper understanding of the natural world.

3. How does sedimentation doubt affect the scientific method?

Sedimentation doubt is an integral part of the scientific method as it promotes the continuous questioning and testing of hypotheses and theories. It also encourages researchers to consider alternative explanations and potential flaws in their methods or data.

4. What are some examples of sedimentation doubt in scientific history?

Some examples of sedimentation doubt in scientific history include the discovery of new species that challenged the existing classification system, the acceptance of heliocentrism over geocentrism in astronomy, and the shift from the phlogiston theory to the modern understanding of combustion in chemistry.

5. How can scientists address sedimentation doubt in their research?

To address sedimentation doubt, scientists can use the principles of the scientific method, such as testing hypotheses and conducting rigorous experiments, to evaluate new evidence and refine their theories. Collaboration and open communication with other researchers can also help to identify and address any doubts or uncertainties in the scientific community.