Differential equation for the acceleration of an oscillating particle

In summary: There's a lot of information out there on solving second-order differential equations. One approach is to use the Laplace transform.
Kampret

Homework Statement

acceleration of certain oscillating particle described by a = -x/9 determine the position of this particle when t = 3π/2
if when t=0 x=0 and v=v0

Homework Equations

dv/dt=a

The Attempt at a Solution

frankly I am not sure how to start but i have two ways in my mind(even i doubt both of them) the first is using
dx/dx dv/dt=a
dx/dx dv/dt = -x/9
v dv = -x²/18
v²=-x²/9 but after this I am can't go any futher since v = √(-x²/9) and √(-) is impossible
so my second attempt is
dv/dt=a
dv/dt=-x/9
dv=-x/9dt
integrating both sides(i doubt this one is correct because x is somewhat have t fraction within it and it different than some unrelated variable. so I am not sure about this one)
v=-xt/9+c (here I am also don't understand since in the problem just written when t =0 x=0 ←exact value so it help me determine the c of x but v=v0 so ?im can't understand this) if i try insert t by 0, v0 = c which i don't know exact value for both sides so i just go with when t=0 v=0 so the c value is zero even though i fully understand that VERY different between v=0 and v0
but i just confuse!
so since c=0 v become =-xt/9
and x is
dx/dt=-xt/9 and
dx/x=-t/9dt
ln x = -t²/18+c
but i i know i can't do anything after this since if if i subsitute x with 0 ln0 is absurd
at last I am hope someone can help me with this problem,im know this one (my attempt) was very messy until to the point it embarrassing for me to post this so i beg once again please how the correct method to solve this problem

ps:for delta² or sammys if by any chance both of you see this post please help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kampret said:

Homework Statement

acceleration of certain oscillating particle described by a = -x/9 determine the position of this particle when t = 3π/2
if when t=0 x=0 and v=v0

Homework Equations

dv/dt=a

frankly I am not sure how to start but i have two ways in my mind(even i doubt both of them) the first is using
dx/dx dv/dt=a
dx/dx dv/dt = -x/9
v dv = -x²/18
v²=-x²/9 but after this I am can't go any futher since v = √(-x²/9) and √(-) is impossible
You omitted the constant of integration.

Likes Kampret
Kampret said:

Homework Statement

if when t=0 x=0 and v=v0

Homework Equations

dv/dt=a

dx/dx dv/dt=a
dx/dx dv/dt = -x/9
v dv = -x²/18
so my second attempt is
dv/dt=a
dv/dt=-x/9
dv=-x/9dt
integrating both sides(i doubt this one is correct because x is somewhat have t fraction within it and it different than some unrelated variable. so I am not sure about this one)
v=-xt/9+c (here I am also don't understand since in the problem just written when t =0 x=0 ←exact value so it help me determine the c of x but v=v0 so ?im can't understand this) if i try insert t by 0, v0 = c which i don't know exact value for both sides so i just go with when t=0 v=0 so the c value is zero even though i fully understand that VERY different between v=0 and v0
but i just confuse!
so since c=0 v become =-xt/9
and x is
dx/dt=-xt/9 and
dx/x=-t/9dt
ln x = -t²/18+c
but i i know i can't do anything after this since if if i subsitute x with 0 ln0 is absurd
at last I am hope someone can help me with this problem,im know this one (my attempt) was very messy until to the point it embarrassing for me to post this so i beg once again please how the correct method to solve this problem

ps:for delta² or sammys if by any chance both of you see this post please help me

Ii cannot follow your logic, and I have doubts about the validity of most of your formulas.

This problem involves the solution of a second-order differential equation
$$\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = -\frac{1}{9} x, \;\; x(0)=0, \; \left. \frac{dx}{dt}\right|_{t=0} = v_0.$$

Google "simple harmonic motion".

Ray Vickson said:
Ii cannot follow your logic, and I have doubts about the validity of most of your formulas.

This problem involves the solution of a second-order differential equation
$$\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = -\frac{1}{9} x, \;\; x(0)=0, \; \left. \frac{dx}{dt}\right|_{t=0} = v_0.$$

Google "simple harmonic motion".
thanks for your tips

Kampret said:
thanks for your tips

You started off OK then went astray. You had found that ##dx^2/dt = -(1/9) d v^2/dt,## which is true. That implies that
$$ \frac{d}{dt} \left( v^2 +\frac{1}{9} x^2 \right) = 0,$$
hence ##v^2 + (1/9) x^2 = \text{constant}.## The constant will be ##> 0## because both ##v^2, x^2## are ##\geq 0## and are not both equal to zero. If you determine the constant using the given problem information, you will be part-way to a solution, because you will have
$$v = \frac{dx}{dt} = \begin{cases} \sqrt{c^2 - \frac{1}{9} x^2 }, & \text{if} \;v \geq 0 \\
-\sqrt{ c^2 - \frac{1}{9} x^2 }, & \text{if} \;v < 0
\end{cases} $$
where ##c^2 > 0## is the constant.

The issue you will face is the proper way to switch from one choice of sign to the other. There are ways to proceed, but I cannot say more without violating PF helping rules.

Ray Vickson said:
You started off OK then went astray. You had found that ##dx^2/dt = -(1/9) d v^2/dt,## which is true. That implies that
$$ \frac{d}{dt} \left( v^2 +\frac{1}{9} x^2 \right) = 0,$$
hence ##v^2 + (1/9) x^2 = \text{constant}.## The constant will be ##> 0## because both ##v^2, x^2## are ##\geq 0## and are not both equal to zero. If you determine the constant using the given problem information, you will be part-way to a solution, because you will have
$$v = \frac{dx}{dt} = \begin{cases} \sqrt{c^2 - \frac{1}{9} x^2 }, & \text{if} \;v \geq 0 \\
\end{cases} $$
where ##c^2 > 0## is the constant.

The issue you will face is the proper way to switch from one choice of sign to the other. There are ways to proceed, but I cannot say more without violating PF helping rules.
thats was really helpful, but please stick a bit with me,because frankly i still confused back at v²=-x²/9 like chestermiller said after first intergral, i have omitted the C which that should be
v²=-x²/9 + C and by given information when t=0 v=v0 and x=0 it became (v0)²=C or if i write completely the equation of v have turned into v²=v0²-x²/9 but frankly this doesn't give me hint about the value since v0² just turned into C so what should i do in order to determine the value? considering your writting in the end
\end{cases} $$ since C² not equal with zero there should any way to turn C into some number
and second like you see above after i use the given information v0² is turned into C so could you explain how in the end you write C² instead of v0²

Kampret said:
thats was really helpful, but please stick a bit with me,because frankly i still confused back at v²=-x²/9 like chestermiller said after first intergral, i have omitted the C which that should be
v²=-x²/9 + C and by given information when t=0 v=v0 and x=0 it became (v0)²=C or if i write completely the equation of v have turned into v²=v0²-x²/9 but frankly this doesn't give me hint about the value since v0² just turned into C so what should i do in order to determine the value? considering your writting in the end
\end{cases} $$ since C² not equal with zero there should any way to turn C into some number
and second like you see above after i use the given information v0² is turned into C so could you explain how in the end you write C² instead of v0²
##c=v_0##

Chestermiller said:
##c=v_0##
ok, so what should i do to integrating v so far i only faced problem like this √(h²-x²)dx where h is constant so i can turn x into sin and dx into cos. but this just worked because there is both x and dx in that equation
but here i encounter like what ray's wrote
v=√(c²-1/9x²) so for the second integral
dx/dt = v which
dx= √(c²-1/9x²)dt ←here is what i don't understand because there is dt and not dx so i can't use trigonometrical subtitution and how i can solve root equation integral without trigonometric subtitution?

Kampret said:
ok, so what should i do to integrating v so far i only faced problem like this √(h²-x²)dx where h is constant so i can turn x into sin and dx into cos. but this just worked because there is both x and dx in that equation
but here i encounter like what ray's wrote
v=√(c²-1/9x²) so for the second integral
dx/dt = v which
dx= √(c²-1/9x²)dt ←here is what i don't understand because there is dt and not dx so i can't use trigonometrical subtitution and how i can solve root equation integral without trigonometric subtitution?
Get all the x's on one side of the equation (solve for dt)

Likes Kampret
Kampret said:

I wrote "constant" first, then called that constant ##c^2## (to emphasize the fact that it is ##>0##). I was leaving it up to YOU to recognize that, in fact, ##c^2 = v_0^2.## I did not write that immediately, because I did not want to give away too much of the solution!

Likes Kampret

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change over time.

2. What is an oscillating particle?

An oscillating particle is a particle that moves back and forth repeatedly in a regular pattern around a fixed point. This type of motion is often seen in systems such as pendulums, springs, and waves.

3. How is acceleration related to a differential equation?

The acceleration of an oscillating particle can be described by a differential equation because it is a function of the particle's position and velocity, both of which change over time. The differential equation captures the relationship between these variables and their rates of change.

4. Can a differential equation predict the behavior of an oscillating particle?

Yes, a properly formulated differential equation can accurately predict the behavior of an oscillating particle over time. By solving the differential equation, one can determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at any given time.

5. How does an oscillating particle's acceleration change during its motion?

The acceleration of an oscillating particle changes constantly during its motion. At the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, the acceleration is at its highest. As the particle moves towards the equilibrium position, the acceleration decreases until it reaches zero at the equilibrium point. Then, it begins to increase again in the opposite direction as the particle moves away from the equilibrium point.