See the Transit of Venus Live Here

In summary: I have a beautiful blue sky NOW. But it started to clean about two hours ago, long after transit ended.
Drakkith
Mentor
You can see the Transit of Venus live here: http://events.slooh.com/
Starts in 5 minutes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see it in one of our bedrooms now, using the sunlight shining in through a window. I fastened binoculars to a tripod, so as to project the image onto a sheet of cardboard. Venus is just barely all the way inside the sun's disk now. I'll get some pictures and post them later; we're going out for dinner shortly.

I can see some sunspots, too.

No chances to see anything for me - full overcast, and it is not going to change around sunrise. I can sleep as long as I want, I am not going to miss anything
grumpy_borek.png

Borek said:
No chances to see anything for me - full overcast, and it is not going to change around sunrise. I can sleep as long as I want, I am not going to miss anything [PLAIN]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/grumpy_borek.png[/QUOTE]
Heavy clouds here as well. They lighten up just enough to tease me. I really wanted to get out my telescope but there isn't a chance. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Transit of clouds here too. I am so freakin' upset about this.

too cloudy here :(

it's still cool to see the streams, though

I've done some projections onto a paper plate using the lens out of my finder scope, but I can't really see anything. Perhaps my lens is too long of a focal length.

Drakkith said:
I've done some projections onto a paper plate using the lens out of my finder scope, but I can't really see anything. Perhaps my lens is too long of a focal length.
Did you try taking the eyepiece out of your main scope?

I saw Venus! For about 8 seconds! There was a gap in the clouds. Sunlight suddenly poured into my back window, and I grabbed my sunglasses and two layers of exposed photographic negatives and got a glimpse of the top half of the sun with the tiny dot of Venus about 2/3ds across.

wheee.

Nothing but clouds. However, it has gotten a triffle darker outside.

Mostly cloudy with small patches of blue sky.

There's nothing but clouds for me as well though I'm digging nasa's coverage of the transit. No matter how hard I try, I just can't get myself to realize the sheer size, speed, distance etc. of these two objects!

theorem4.5.9 said:
There's nothing but clouds for me as well though I'm digging nasa's coverage of the transit. No matter how hard I try, I just can't get myself to realize the sheer size, speed, distance etc. of these two objects!
This? http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/transitofvenus/

Yep!

I used jtbell's binoculars method and it's clearly visible here in Kansas.

Cool - :cool: - NASA SDO - Venus approaching in 191 Anstrom [sic] (I think that is Angstrom, as in UV)

Astronuc said:
Cool - :cool: - NASA SDO - Venus approaching in 191 Anstrom [sic] (I think that is Angstrom, as in UV)

That is cool. :cool:

Borg said:
Did you try taking the eyepiece out of your main scope?

Nope. Do you think using the eyepiece instead of the lens would have worked better?

These pics were taken at 6:24 and 7:08 PM EDT (22:24 and 23:08 UT).

When I was a kid many years ago, my parents bought me a four- or five-volume set of books covering various historical topics in science and math. One chapter was about the transits of Venus. It started with the story of Jeremiah Horrocks, an English astronomer whose "day job" was as tutor for a family in a small village. In 1639, he refined Kepler's calculations of the orbit of Venus and predicted the transit which took place less than four weeks later. (Kepler had predicted the transit of 1631 which apparently nobody actually saw, but thought 1639 would be a near-miss.) Horrocks and one of his correspondents, William Crabtree, were the only two people to witness the transit of 1639.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Venus,_1639

The following transits were in 1761, 1769, 1874, 1882, 2004 and 2012. The next one will be in 2117, so if you missed the two most recent ones, you're probably out of luck.

When I was a kid, 2004 and 2012 seemed a loooong time away!

Attachments

• transit1.jpg
    transit1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 435
  • transit2.jpg
    transit2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
  • Love
Likes OmCheeto
Bah I had some clear shots...unfortunately the pictures wouldn't come out good. I enjoyed a good day outside with my sis...she loved it! x) My method was to binoculars and I projected the image to a black cloth. I used my guitar stand as a tripod for it. haha

I have a beautiful blue sky NOW. But it started to clean about two hours ago, long after transit ended.

Drakkith said:
Nope. Do you think using the eyepiece instead of the lens would have worked better?
Too late now but, I meant to use the main scope without its eyepiece.

Borg said:
Too late now but, I meant to use the main scope without its eyepiece.

No way, it's way to big and I don't want to damage it. I also tried using an 80mm refractor, but it was horribly bright on the paper plate I was projecting on, so I couldn't use it either.

Borek said:
I have a beautiful blue sky NOW. But it started to clean about two hours ago, long after transit ended.

I too missed the entire thing Borek. Clouds and rain the whole time, although I may have also missed it due to it being at sunrise in the UK.

I was ready to wait, I am an owl.

Drakkith said:
No way, it's way to big and I don't want to damage it. I also tried using an 80mm refractor, but it was horribly bright on the paper plate I was projecting on, so I couldn't use it either.
I've done it with my 8 inch Newtonian without any filters and didn't have a problem. Now that I think about it, it was a partial eclipse (~20% covered). I guess that I'll have to try it against the full sun sometime.

Borg said:
I've done it with my 8 inch Newtonian without any filters and didn't have a problem. Now that I think about it, it was a partial eclipse (~20% covered). I guess that I'll have to try it against the full sun sometime.

I've always been told not to use a telescope that isn't filtered somehow, as the Sun could damage the mirrors.

We were able to see it in Colorado Springs most of the time (some clouds that sometimes blocked the Sun).

Projecting it through a telescope onto photographic paper worked great. I didn't have a strong enough filter for my camera to get decent pictures, though. The filters I have worked great for the solar eclipse, but just didn't filter out enough sunlight to pick up Venus.

Thinking about it, I should have just taken a picture of the projection.

And as to the warning about pointing an unfiltered telescope at the Sun, it's true to a certain extent. You wouldn't want to point your telescope at the Sun constantly for the entire eclipse or transit. Best is a filter in front of the opening of the telescope so you don't have to worry about heat accumulating, but short views with an unfiltered telescope are fine.

1. What is the Transit of Venus?

The Transit of Venus is a rare astronomical event where the planet Venus passes directly between the Earth and the Sun, appearing as a small black dot moving across the face of the Sun.

2. How often does the Transit of Venus occur?

The Transit of Venus occurs in pairs, separated by 8 years, and then not again for over 100 years. The last pair occurred in 2004 and 2012, and the next pair will occur in 2117 and 2125.

3. Why is the Transit of Venus significant?

The Transit of Venus is significant because it allows scientists to measure the distance between the Earth and the Sun, known as the astronomical unit (AU). It also provides valuable information about the atmosphere and composition of Venus.

4. How can I safely view the Transit of Venus?

It is extremely important to view the Transit of Venus safely, as looking directly at the Sun can cause permanent eye damage. The safest way to view the transit is through special solar filters, such as eclipse glasses or a solar telescope.

5. Where can I watch the Transit of Venus live?

The Transit of Venus can be viewed live from various locations around the world, such as observatories, science centers, and online streaming platforms. Make sure to check for any local events or online broadcasts to watch the transit safely and accurately.