Seeing Venus with the Naked Eye - Light Pollution

• B
  • Thread starter Hawksteinman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Venus
In summary, the person was living in a light polluted area and noticed a bright point of light in the sky for several weeks. They checked a website and found out it was Venus at a specific point in the sky. They were initially unsure if it was Venus because it seemed to stay in the same position for weeks, but a tweet from Brian Cox confirmed it. They also mentioned Stellarium, a free software that can help confirm the identification of astronomical objects.
Hawksteinman
I live in a light polluted area, and the last few weeks I have been walking down my street to see one very bright point of light. Other than the moon, it was the only astronomical object I could see with the naked eye, as well as occasionally a few fainter points. I was wondering what this was, so I looked on a website to see where the objects are in the sky from where I live, and Venus was at that exact point.

Was I looking at Venus? I thought it couldn't be since it seemed to stay in exactly the same position in the sky for at least 5 or 6 weeks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Borg said:

Thanks for the website. It was (approximately) 10 to 20 degrees to the West from the full moon in January, and about the same number of degrees to the South.

Another cool software you can check to confirm it: Stellarium , its free, open source, and works in windows, mac and linux.

You can set your location, time, adjust light pollution... really useful =)

Likes Hawksteinman and davenn

1. How can I see Venus with the naked eye?

To see Venus with the naked eye, you will need to find a location with minimal light pollution. This means being away from cities and other sources of artificial light. Additionally, the best time to see Venus is during the evening or morning twilight, when the sky is dark but Venus is still visible.

2. Is it possible to see Venus with the naked eye in a city?

It is possible to see Venus with the naked eye in a city, but the amount of light pollution will greatly affect its visibility. You will likely need to find a spot with minimal light pollution, such as a rooftop or park, and it may still be difficult to see Venus clearly.

3. How does light pollution affect our ability to see Venus with the naked eye?

Light pollution can greatly diminish our ability to see Venus with the naked eye. The artificial light from cities and other sources can create a bright glow in the sky, making it difficult to see faint objects like Venus. Additionally, light pollution causes a decrease in the contrast between the sky and Venus, making it harder to distinguish.

4. Can I use a telescope to see Venus or is the naked eye sufficient?

Venus is one of the brightest objects in the night sky, so it is possible to see it with just the naked eye. However, using a telescope can provide a clearer and more detailed view of Venus, especially during times when it is farther from Earth. If using a telescope, be sure to avoid areas with high light pollution for the best viewing experience.

5. Why is light pollution a problem for seeing Venus with the naked eye?

Light pollution is a problem for seeing Venus with the naked eye because it creates a bright artificial glow in the sky, making it difficult to see faint objects like Venus. This can be especially problematic in cities, where the concentration of artificial light is much higher. It also decreases the contrast between the sky and Venus, making it harder to distinguish the planet from the surrounding sky.