Seeking Advice for Where to Apply to University in Ontario

In summary: Ontario Canada seeking advice on universities to apply to. Waterloo's math/physics co-op program seems attractive with an entrance average in the 80's. U of T also looks good but has higher entrance averages and a reputation for being inhospitable to undergraduates. The third application is uncertain, considering Trent for scholarships or UOIT for co-op in physics. A suggestion is Queen's University in Kingston with an excellent physics department and notable research in nuclear and neutrino physics. In summary, an aspiring physicist seeks advice on university applications, considering Waterloo and U of T but unsure of a third option. Suggestion of Queen's University in Kingston for its strong physics department and research opportunities
muonneutrino
Hi! I apologize in advance if you get a lot of indecisive kids like me putting spammy requests for first year university application advice and if I'm breaking any rules by putting this thread here etc just let me know.

Anyway I'm an aspiring physicist in my last year of secondary school in Ontario Canada so naturally I've been pouring through as much information as I can find about universities in my province. By next week I will need a total of three places to apply to.

Waterloo seems to be a top pick for me as its math/physics co-op program seems very attractive and its entrance average in the 80's is close to my anticipated mark this year. Ideally I can get into a solid school that offers co-op physics and Waterloo seems to match that fairly well...

U of T also looks good but its entrance averages tend to be a bit higher and I've heard that it's somewhat inhospitable to undergraduates.

I'm not sure what to choose for my third application. I was looking at Trent for their scholarships, or UOIT because of their co-op in physics but I have no idea what I should be looking for and was hoping someone might have some experiential advice on where I (or anyone else in my situation) might want to look to going.

I am open to any suggestions or advice if you have the time to give it. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You should look at Queen's University in Kingston. Excellent physics department. Very good nuclear physics and neutrino physics research. Nobel prize last year for work at the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory.

AM

Likes muonneutrino

1. What are the top universities in Ontario?

The top universities in Ontario are the University of Toronto, McMaster University, Western University, Queen's University, and the University of Waterloo.

2. How do I find the right university for me in Ontario?

To find the right university for you in Ontario, consider factors such as your academic interests, location, campus culture, and available resources for your field of study. You can also research rankings, visit campuses, and talk to current students and alumni for their perspectives.

3. What are the admission requirements for universities in Ontario?

The admission requirements for universities in Ontario vary depending on the specific university and program. Generally, you will need to have completed high school with a certain grade point average, taken specific courses, and possibly written entrance exams such as the SAT or ACT.

4. How do I apply to universities in Ontario?

To apply to universities in Ontario, you will need to visit each university's website and follow their specific application process. This may include submitting transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some universities also require an application fee.

5. What financial aid options are available for studying in Ontario?

There are various financial aid options available for studying in Ontario, including scholarships, grants, and loans. The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a popular option for domestic students, and many universities also offer their own scholarships and bursaries. International students may also be eligible for scholarships specific to their country of origin.