How Can an Engineer Begin Learning Physics and Astrophysics?

• Thread starter lxsameer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, if you're seeking guidance to start your journey in the field of physics, a good place to begin is with The Feynman Lectures on Physics, which are available for free online. As an engineer, you may already have some habits for staying up to date and gathering new information, but it would be beneficial to also incorporate sources specifically related to physics into your routine. And with your passion for science, a diploma may not be necessary, but it would be helpful to have a strong foundation in math.
lxsameer
Summary:: I'm seeking guidance to start my journey in the field of physics.

Hi folks,
I hope that I've chosen the right category for this post.
I want to start a serious study on Physics and specially astrophysics. But I don't know where to begin. I wanted to ask your advice for a series of books, lectures, courses or what ever that can help me start and find my way.

Also as an engineer i have some habits regarding to keeping myself up to date and gathering new information, I think the same applies to physicists as well. If yes, please share your habits and routines with me, what sort of sources do you use to keep yourself up to date?

A little bit info about me (to help you to help me with my question :D ):
I'm a software engineer, I feel comfortable with math, I can learn whatever i don't know ( I like math ). I can't attend to any college or university and I'm not looking for a diploma or anything I'm doing it just because I'm passionate about science.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Feynman Lectures on Physics is available for free online. You should familiarize yourself with their scope and be prepared to read them all at some point in your journey.

Likes berkeman and lxsameer

1. What are the basic requirements to start a journey in physics?

The basic requirements to start a journey in physics include a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking skills, and a passion for understanding the natural world. It is also important to have a curious and open-minded mindset, as well as the ability to work independently and in a team.

2. How should I prepare for studying physics in college?

To prepare for studying physics in college, it is important to take advanced math and science courses in high school, such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. It is also beneficial to participate in extracurricular activities related to physics, such as science fairs or clubs. Additionally, reading books and articles about physics and conducting independent research can also help prepare for college-level studies.

3. What are some common challenges faced by students studying physics?

Some common challenges faced by students studying physics include understanding complex concepts, solving difficult problems, and keeping up with the fast pace of the course. It is important to seek help from professors, tutors, or study groups if needed and to practice regularly to improve problem-solving skills.

4. What are some recommended resources for learning physics?

There are many resources available for learning physics, including textbooks, online courses, videos, and interactive simulations. Some recommended resources include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, the MIT OpenCourseWare website, and the Khan Academy physics section.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to various career opportunities, such as research and development in industries like aerospace, technology, and energy. Physics graduates can also pursue careers in education, data analysis, and finance. Additionally, many physicists go on to pursue graduate studies in specialized areas of physics.