Does Time Dilation Differ Between Earth's Day Side and Night Side?

In summary, time dilation does differ between Earth's day side and night side due to the effects of gravity and velocity on the passage of time. The closer an object is to a source of gravity, such as Earth's center, the slower time moves for that object. This means that time moves slower on the day side of Earth, where it is closer to the center, compared to the night side. Additionally, the rotation of the Earth also affects time dilation, as objects on the equator are moving at a faster velocity than those on the poles, causing time to move slightly slower on the equator. Overall, the difference in time dilation between Earth's day side and night side is very small, but it is measurable and has been confirmed
vellovan
How did you find PF?
Google search I initiated on day/night time dilation. See here
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/day-night-time-dialation.101576/
I’m physics curious and a middle school science teacher. I was wondering about time dilation on day side of Earth vs. night side. Pervect gave an interesting response on the subject in 2005, complete with link. The link doesn’t work and I cannot find the paper on OpenSky.
I’m hoping someone can help me find the cited article. It is definitely not important- I’m just curious.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org