Selecting a Centrifugal Pump for High Pressure Circulation in a Closed System

In summary, the conversation discusses the selection of a centrifugal pump for circulating water in a closed system with added pressurized nitrogen. The pump should be able to withstand high pressure and have a mechanical seal to avoid leaking. The pump casing design pressure should be able to handle the maximum design inlet suction pressure and the pump shutoff pressure. If the system is unable to handle the pressure, a pressure relief valve can be installed. The materials of the pump casing and impeller should also withstand the high pressure.
maxx_payne
dear guys
how are u ??
i ve a problem with selecting a centrifugal pump for circulating water in a closed system this system consists of tank , pipes up to 60 meters with 2 inch dia , then these pipes deliver water to a tube contains pressurized nitrogen @ 10 bars then return back to tank and also at the same time this nitrogen also affect on the water free surface inside the tank with 10 bars also

i hope i have descriped the system clearly so guys tell me the manual says that this pump is 20m of head and 12m3/hr flow
so what do u think the characteristics of this pump
i think this pump is a normal pump 12 m3/h and 20 m but can withstand high pressure up tp 10 bars because the pressure is acting on both suction and delivery sides also this pump should have mechanical seal not galand packing to avoid leaking
am i correct or not ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your pump casing design pressure should be the max design inlet suction pressure added to the pump shutoff (zero flow) pressure rise.

If your system is unable to handle this pressure, the piping codes (ASME B31.1 and B31.3) allow you to install a pressure relief valve.

thanx edgepflow
so the pump selection will be a normal pump but the materials of casing and impeller should withstand this high pressure

Related to Selecting a Centrifugal Pump for High Pressure Circulation in a Closed System

1. What is a pressurized centrifugal pump?

A pressurized centrifugal pump is a type of pump that uses centrifugal force to move fluid through a system. It is designed to increase the pressure of a liquid by converting its kinetic energy into potential energy.

2. How does a pressurized centrifugal pump work?

A pressurized centrifugal pump has an impeller that rotates at high speeds, creating a centrifugal force that draws fluid into the pump. As the fluid moves through the pump, it is directed towards the outlet, where the pressure increases due to the narrowing of the pump casing. This pressurized fluid is then pushed out through the pump's discharge port.

3. What are the benefits of using a pressurized centrifugal pump?

Pressurized centrifugal pumps are highly efficient and can handle large volumes of fluid with minimal energy consumption. They are also easy to maintain and have a long lifespan, making them a cost-effective option for many industries.

4. What are some common applications of pressurized centrifugal pumps?

Pressurized centrifugal pumps are commonly used in water treatment plants, irrigation systems, heating and cooling systems, chemical processing, and oil and gas industries. They are also used in residential and commercial settings for water supply and circulation.

5. How do you choose the right pressurized centrifugal pump for a specific application?

The selection of a pressurized centrifugal pump depends on various factors such as the required flow rate, pressure, fluid properties, and system design. It is essential to consult with a pump expert or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to ensure the pump is suitable for the specific application.