Selection of a suitable engine for developing a hover bike.

In summary: Depending on the answer the design will be very different.In summary, the conversation discusses the power requirements for a hover bike with four propellers and a weight of 400-500 kg. The speakers suggest hiring a professional engineer or studying math, physics, and engineering to accurately calculate the necessary thrust and power. They also raise concerns about safety, stability, and local regulations.
Abdul Waheed
I am trying to figure out the power required to lift a hover bike that would have four propellers and would weigh around 400-500 kg. how can i select an engine and find the required shaft power, rpm, engine cc and thrust required.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you sure you should be designing a hover bike if you don’t know enough to do those calculations yourself?

How will you ensure the safety of the occupants and bystanders. What will you do for stability and control. Does your insurance cover this? What are the local regulations on such vehicles?

I think you need to hire a professional engineer.

Dale said:
I think you need to hire a professional engineer.

or... study hard some (a lot, actually) math, physics and engineering. Could be useful...
:smile:

Abdul Waheed said:
I am trying to figure out the power required to lift a hover bike that would have four propellers and would weigh around 400-500 kg. how can i select an engine and find the required shaft power, rpm, engine cc and thrust required.
The thrust required for a HOVERbike should be obvious, but to know how much power is required to generate that thrust you have to design the rest of the lifting system first.

I can't tell an important thing though: when you say "hover" do you mean fly or do you mean hover a few cm above the ground, with a skirt like a hovercraft?

Last edited:

1. What factors should be considered when selecting an engine for a hover bike?

When selecting an engine for a hover bike, there are several important factors to consider. These include the weight and size of the engine, the power output, fuel efficiency, and compatibility with the rest of the bike's components. It is also important to consider the intended use of the hover bike and the terrain it will be used on.

2. How much power is needed for a hover bike engine?

The amount of power needed for a hover bike engine will depend on the weight of the bike and the desired speed and performance. Generally, hover bikes will require higher power output engines compared to traditional motorcycles due to the added weight and drag caused by the hovering mechanism.

3. What type of fuel is best for a hover bike engine?

The type of fuel best suited for a hover bike engine will depend on the specific engine and its design. However, most modern hover bike engines are designed to run on alternative fuels such as electric or hydrogen, as these are more efficient and environmentally friendly compared to traditional gasoline engines.

4. How do I ensure compatibility between the engine and the rest of the hover bike components?

To ensure compatibility between the engine and the rest of the hover bike components, it is important to carefully consider the specifications and requirements of each component. This includes the battery, fuel tank, and control systems. It is recommended to consult with a professional or use a pre-designed engine kit to ensure proper compatibility.

5. Can a regular motorcycle engine be used for a hover bike?

While it is possible to modify a regular motorcycle engine for use in a hover bike, it is not recommended. Hover bikes have different weight and performance requirements compared to traditional motorcycles, and a specially designed engine will be more efficient and effective for this purpose. It is also important to consider safety concerns and the potential risks of using a modified engine on a hover bike.