Self-educational book on Supersymmetry/supergravity

• Thread starter Neitrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with exercises on supersymmetry and supergravity from a specific book and is wondering if there are solutions available. They also mention several other books that they have found helpful for self-education on the topic.
Neitrino
HI,

Sorry if this questions should have gone to other section, but since it involves supersymmetry I posted it here.

I can't resolve some exercises on supersymmetry and supergravity from Bailin/Love's book - so don't you know if there is some sort of solutions book to those exercises or some SUSY/SUGRA textbooks where I can find solutions to exercises? It will great help me for self education. There are some exercises and I can't resolve them and I don't know whom to ask.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I put in my basket Aitchison "Supersymmetry in Particle Physics" and Terning "Modern Supersymmetry". I think that vol. 3 of Weinberg is useful. And I like the small exercises 3.4-3.5 in Peskin Schroeder.

1. What is supersymmetry and how is it related to supergravity?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical framework in physics that proposes a symmetry between fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and bosons (particles with integer spin). Supergravity is a supersymmetric extension of general relativity, which describes the gravitational interactions between particles. In supergravity, the gravitational force is mediated by a spin-2 particle called a graviton, which is the supersymmetric partner of the spin-3/2 gravitino. This relationship between supersymmetry and gravity is what defines supergravity.

2. What are the main applications of supersymmetry and supergravity?

Supersymmetry and supergravity have been studied extensively as potential theories that could unify all the fundamental forces of nature, including gravity. They also have implications for particle physics, as they can provide a solution to the hierarchy problem and offer a potential explanation for dark matter. Supergravity also has applications in cosmology, as it can be used to study the early universe and the formation of galaxies.

3. Are there any experimental confirmations of supersymmetry and supergravity?

So far, there have been no direct experimental confirmations of supersymmetry or supergravity. However, many theoretical predictions of these theories have been tested and supported by experiments, such as the prediction of the Higgs boson. The Large Hadron Collider at CERN is also actively searching for evidence of supersymmetric particles and could potentially provide experimental proof of supersymmetry in the future.

4. Do I need a background in physics to understand a self-educational book on supersymmetry/supergravity?

Yes, a strong foundation in physics and mathematics is necessary to fully comprehend the concepts in a self-educational book on supersymmetry/supergravity. These theories involve advanced mathematical concepts and principles of quantum field theory, so it is recommended to have at least an undergraduate level understanding of these topics before diving into a self-educational book on supersymmetry/supergravity.

5. Can supersymmetry and supergravity be proven or disproven?

As with any scientific theory, supersymmetry and supergravity can neither be proven nor disproven with absolute certainty. However, with advancements in technology and experiments, it is possible that future evidence may support or refute these theories. Currently, the lack of experimental evidence for supersymmetry and supergravity has led to some skepticism in the scientific community, but research on these theories continues to be an active area of study.