Self learn calculus for UK A-levels?

So, in summary, my suggestion is to have a close look at your goals and the requirements for them, and then decide which materials are the most suitable for your self-study. It may be a combination of a-level books and a calculus book, or even additional online resources. Good luck with your studies!
member 624364
Hi, I am currently about to begin self studying for UK maths a-levels, however I am also wanting to gain a solid understanding of calculus. I know that calculus is covered in a-levels, but, the books for a-levels seem to be not as dense or as good as the US books I believe.

My question is this. Would a calculus book better explain calculus than general maths a-level books? And would it be a wise decision to study primarily off a calculus book and fill in all extra gaps required for a-leave in the a-level books?

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Novantix said:
Hi, I am currently about to begin self studying for UK maths a-levels, however I am also wanting to gain a solid understanding of calculus. I know that calculus is covered in a-levels, but, the books for a-levels seem to be not as dense or as good as the US books I believe.

My question is this. Would a calculus book better explain calculus than general maths a-level books? And would it be a wise decision to study primarily off a calculus book and fill in all extra gaps required for a-leave in the a-level books?

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.
First I have to admit, that I do not know what's behind a-level-UK, a-level-US and general math versus calculus. However, I just collected some sources last week about self study in general. I think you'll find some useful hints and advice in them. They also list a website of good open source textbooks at various levels, so you might want to take a look:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/self-teaching-gcse-and-a-level-maths.933639/#post-5896947

The question I usually would ask is: What do you need to achieve (in detail), what do you want to achieve and where do you stand? The basics in school as well as in early college years are certainly calculus, trigonometry and linear algebra. To which extend depends on your goals, e.g. which tests you'll have to pass when and where.

Likes Janosh89

1. What is calculus and why is it important for UK A-levels?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change, particularly in the form of derivatives and integrals. It is important for UK A-levels because it is a fundamental component of many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, and it is a required subject for many university programs.

2. Can I self-learn calculus for UK A-levels without any prior knowledge?

While having a good foundation in algebra and trigonometry is helpful, it is possible to self-learn calculus for UK A-levels without any prior knowledge. However, it may require more dedication and effort to fully grasp the concepts.

3. What resources are available for self-learning calculus for UK A-levels?

There are many resources available for self-learning calculus for UK A-levels, such as online tutorials, textbooks, practice problems, and video lectures. It is recommended to use a combination of these resources to get a well-rounded understanding of the subject.

4. How long does it take to self-learn calculus for UK A-levels?

The amount of time it takes to self-learn calculus for UK A-levels can vary depending on the individual's prior knowledge and learning pace. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 6-12 months to fully grasp the concepts and be prepared for the A-level exam.

5. Are there any tips for effectively self-learning calculus for UK A-levels?

Some tips for effectively self-learning calculus for UK A-levels include setting a schedule and sticking to it, practicing regularly, seeking help from online forums or tutors when needed, and breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts.