Self-Learning a Subtopic within Precalculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of spherical and cylindrical coordinates in relation to the study of calculus. The individual is struggling to find non-technical explanations for this topic and questions whether it is necessary to learn it as a prerequisite for calculus. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in understanding and remembering the formulas for converting between rectangular, spherical, and cylindrical coordinates.
DifferentialGalois
I am attempting to teach myself all the necessary prerequisites of calculus, and attain mastery of them. This has been my goal for quite some time, and recently, I encountered a topic I was unfamiliar with (listed under precalculus).

This topic of interest is spherical and cylindrical coordinates, but I can't seem to find any explanations that are not overly technical. They seem to be of a multivariable calculus level, which is way over my head. I only want to teach myself the prerequisites of differential and integral calculus.

Are there any non technical guides on spherical and cylindrical coordinates of precalculus level? Is learning spherical and cylindrical coordinates an absolute must for differential/integral calculus? If not, then I'll probably tackle it later, as from what I can ascertain, the level of difficulty required is considerably higher than that of precalculus topics.

Thank you in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you checked Wikipedia?

Anyway, cylinders as well as spheres are two dimensional objects, so we have automatically at least two variables. Otherwise we can only describe a single circle of fixed radius, i.e. we have an angle. Polar coordinates are such an angle plus a radius to cover all possible circles in the plane. Spherical coordinates have a second angle to get every point in the three dimensional space. Cylindrical coordinates are the same, only that we use the height instead of a second angle. You can draw three dimensional coordinate systems (x,y,z), choose a point and test which coordinates you need to describe it by spherical coordinates (angle in the x-y-plane, angle in the x-z-plane, radius in the x-y-plane) or cylindrical coordinates (angle in the x-y-plane, height, radius in the x-y-plane). It's probably best to do this in the two dimensional case with polar coordinates first. No calculus or multivariate functions are necessary. But e.g. in physics we deal with three dimensional spaces all the time, so functions there have inevitably three coordinates, Cartesian or not.

Three dimensions means three parameters which have to be fixed to specify a point. Draw a unit cube, a unit sphere and a unit cylinder and look which data you need with respect to these objects to describe the point.

Likes etotheipi and DifferentialGalois
DifferentialGalois said:
Are there any non technical guides on spherical and cylindrical coordinates of precalculus level?
I'm not sure what you mean by "non-technical" since all materials relating to this topic will be mathematical or technical. But whatever.

Can you post links to the websites that you have been reading, and post your questions about the parts that are confusing you? Thanks.

EDIT -- Rats, rats, rats. beaten out by that fresh guy again. Sigh...

fresh_42 said:
Have you checked Wikipedia?

Anyway, cylinders as well as spheres are two dimensional objects, so we have automatically at least two variables. Otherwise we can only describe a single circle of fixed radius, i.e. we have an angle. Polar coordinates are such an angle plus a radius to cover all possible circles in the plane. Spherical coordinates have a second angle to get every point in the three dimensional space. Cylindrical coordinates are the same, only that we use the height instead of a second angle. You can draw three dimensional coordinate systems (x,y,z), choose a point and test which coordinates you need to describe it by spherical coordinates (angle in the x-y-plane, angle in the x-z-plane, radius in the x-y-plane) or cylindrical coordinates (angle in the x-y-plane, height, radius in the x-y-plane). It's probably best to do this in the two dimensional case with polar coordinates first. No calculus or multivariate functions are necessary. But e.g. in physics we deal with three dimensional spaces all the time, so functions there have inevitably three coordinates, Cartesian or not.

Three dimensions means three parameters which have to be fixed to specify a point. Draw a unit cube, a unit sphere and a unit cylinder and look which data you need with respect to these objects to describe the point.

Yes, I've checked Wikipedia, but I'm finding this really difficult to grasp intuitively. It's a big leap from say, polar coordinates & complex numbers to this topic. I can only understand a minute portion of the diagrams, and that's when they're explained in a Youtube video or something.
Do I really need to learn this as a prerequisite for differential/integral calc?

Sure, I can plug and chug the values into the formulas required, but I don't have a chance at remembering how to derive these formulas. So if I were to forget these formulas, I don't stand a chance at converting rectangular to spherical, spherical to cylindrical or vice versa.

DifferentialGalois said:
Sure, I can plug and chug the values into the formulas required, but I don't have a chance at remembering how to derive these formulas. So if I were to forget these formulas, I don't stand a chance at converting rectangular to spherical, spherical to cylindrical or vice versa.
Well, those conversion formulas were near the top of my crib sheet in undergrad, and I used them enough during undergrad that I usually didn't need to refer to my crib sheet to use them on homework or exams.

What about them is so difficult to memorize?

DifferentialGalois said:
Yes, I've checked Wikipedia, but I'm finding this really difficult to grasp intuitively. It's a big leap from say, polar coordinates & complex numbers to this topic. I can only understand a minute portion of the diagrams, and that's when they're explained in a Youtube video or something.
Do I really need to learn this as a prerequisite for differential/integral calc?
Not for single variable calculus. But it's really easy. I would draw a couple of graphics. You can do this three dimensional in the following way:

1596933592320.png

Now draw a point, say (3,2,2), and find out how to describe it, if you have spherical or cylindrical coordinates. Everything can be drawn.

fresh_42 said:
Not for single variable calculus. But it's really easy. I would draw a couple of graphics. You can do this three dimensional in the following way:

View attachment 267508

Now draw a point, say (3,2,2), and find out how to describe it, if you have spherical or cylindrical coordinates. Everything can be drawn.

That graphic seems to be a lot more simplistic than the others I've encountered on the Internet. I'm slowly beginning to get it now, thanks!

Before getting into 3-d coordinates I suggest you get fully familiar with polar (2-d) coordinates and relationship with rectangular. This will make going to 3-d easier, especially cylindrical.

Likes Vanadium 50
DifferentialGalois said:
Is learning spherical and cylindrical coordinates an absolute must for differential/integral calculus?

I'd say no, not for beginning to study calculus. You probably won't need to know spherical and cylindrical coordinates to understand the first chapters in a calculus text. You can get an objective answer to your question by browsing through the material you intend to use for studying calculus. Do any of the chapters or problems deal with spherical and cylindrical coordinates?

1. What is self-learning and how does it apply to studying a subtopic within Precalculus?

Self-learning is the process of acquiring knowledge or skills on your own, without the guidance of a teacher or formal instruction. When it comes to studying a subtopic within Precalculus, self-learning involves taking the initiative to research and understand the material on your own.

2. What are some effective strategies for self-learning a subtopic within Precalculus?

Some effective strategies for self-learning a subtopic within Precalculus include breaking the material into smaller, manageable chunks, setting specific goals and timelines for studying, utilizing online resources and practice problems, and seeking help from peers or tutors when needed.

3. How can self-learning benefit my understanding of a subtopic within Precalculus?

Self-learning can benefit your understanding of a subtopic within Precalculus by allowing you to take control of your own learning and tailor it to your individual needs and learning style. It also promotes critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a deeper understanding of the material.

4. Is self-learning a subtopic within Precalculus a suitable approach for everyone?

Self-learning may not be suitable for everyone, as it requires a certain level of self-discipline and motivation. Some individuals may benefit more from traditional classroom instruction or one-on-one tutoring. However, self-learning can be a valuable tool for those who are self-motivated and have a strong desire to learn.

5. How can I stay motivated while self-learning a subtopic within Precalculus?

Staying motivated while self-learning a subtopic within Precalculus can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting specific goals and rewarding yourself for achieving them, finding a study partner or study group, and taking breaks and practicing self-care can all help maintain motivation. It may also be helpful to remind yourself of the benefits of self-learning, such as developing valuable skills and gaining a deeper understanding of the material.