SEM-EDX Analysis Summary: Identifying Material

• Thread starter Yel744
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the sample is a biological material with hair-like structures that are of similar thickness to human hair and less than half a millimeter in length. It is mainly composed of silicon, but it is difficult to determine the exact species. Some possible options based on the biological role of silicon include a siliceous sponge or some type of insect. More information is needed to make a definitive identification.
Yel744
Homework Statement
This is a biological sample. Guess what sample is this?
Relevant Equations
SEM-EX results
Summary:: SEM-EDX Analysis

Hi! Just would like to ask for some insights. I needed to identify the material based on its SEM-EDX results. However, after several researches, I still have no idea what it is. Any idea would help. thanks.

Edit:

Another information given to me was that this is a biological sample. Hence, I started my analysis with the idea that this is a biological sample with hairy-like structures. These "hair-like" structures are very much hairlike as the SEM shows that it is of similar thickness with an average human hair. Furthermore, these hair-like structures are less than half a centimeter long only. I was thinking it might be a leaf with hairy features but I couldn't seem to find a leaf that is mainly composed of silicon. I then thought that it might be some sort of an insect, yet, still, I couldn't find any insect that's basically like an Si-O species.

Attachments

• image (3).png
    image (3).png
    149.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image (2).png
    image (2).png
    194 KB · Views: 65
  • image (1).png
    image (1).png
    28.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What other information do you have about this material? Where did you get it? Or is this a schoolwork assignment where this is the only information you are given?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

What other information do you have about this material? Where did you get it? Or is this a schoolwork assignment where this is the only information you are given?
Hi, thanks for this response. Yes, this is school work and these are the only information given. If only I have any idea on what possible silicon species this is.

Okay, I'll move this thread to the schoolwork forums then. Please tell us more about your thoughts on this. You need to show your best efforts to address this question before we can be of tutorial help.

Another information given to me was that this is a biological sample. Hence, I started my analysis with the idea that this is a biological sample with hairy-like structures. These "hair-like" structures are very much hairlike as the SEM shows that it is of similar thickness with an average human hair. Furthermore, these hair-like structures are less than half a centimeter long only. I was thinking it might be a leaf with hairy features but I couldn't seem to find a leaf that is mainly composed of silicon. I then thought that it might be some sort of an insect, yet, still, I couldn't find any insect that's basically like an Si-O species.

Likes berkeman
They are less than half a millimetre long. (Which is, admittedly, less than half a centimetre.)
I don't know what this is, but the Wikipedia article on silicon suggests some possibilities (see "biological role").

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is SEM-EDX analysis and why is it used?

SEM-EDX analysis is a technique used to identify the chemical composition of a material. It involves using a scanning electron microscope (SEM) to produce high-resolution images of a sample, and an energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscope (EDX) to analyze the X-rays emitted by the sample. This allows scientists to determine the elements present in the material and their relative abundance. It is commonly used in materials science, geology, and forensics to identify unknown materials and understand their properties.

2. How does SEM-EDX analysis work?

SEM-EDX analysis works by first scanning the sample with a beam of electrons, which causes the sample to emit X-rays. The X-rays are then collected by the EDX detector and analyzed to determine the elements present in the sample. The intensity of the X-rays is used to determine the relative abundance of each element. This information is then used to create a chemical map of the sample, showing the distribution of elements throughout the material.

3. What types of materials can be analyzed using SEM-EDX?

SEM-EDX analysis can be used to analyze a wide range of materials, including metals, minerals, ceramics, polymers, and biological samples. It is particularly useful for materials that are difficult to analyze using traditional chemical analysis techniques, such as non-conductive materials or samples with complex compositions.

4. What are the advantages of using SEM-EDX analysis?

SEM-EDX analysis offers several advantages over other analytical techniques. It provides high-resolution images of the sample, allowing for detailed examination of the material's microstructure. It also has a relatively fast analysis time and can analyze small sample sizes. Additionally, it is non-destructive, meaning the sample can be reused or further analyzed after the SEM-EDX analysis is complete.

5. What are the limitations of SEM-EDX analysis?

While SEM-EDX analysis is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only analyze the surface of a sample, so it may not be representative of the entire material. It also cannot detect elements with atomic numbers lower than boron (Z=5) or elements with atomic numbers higher than uranium (Z=92). Additionally, the accuracy of the analysis can be affected by sample preparation and instrument settings, so it is important to carefully calibrate and prepare the sample for accurate results.